What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received a new false bottom for my MT and ingredients for my next brew
20201031_202235.jpg

Sampled some endeavour hops for a brew day in a couple days, on the nose it felt slightly herbal, fruity, mango an mandarin mainly but then I made a hop tea for 15 minutes and it tasted like chewing grass

So maybe it's not worth adding them, at least not at the 15 minutes mark, maybe at whirlpool it can work, I need to test it

Cleaned a keg, and did an inventory of my hops. Only need a couple more varieties to be set for next year.

i burst carb a couple cold crashed kegs at 50f. definatly a HELL of a lot easier to get them to take the 1.5oz's! i was hoping to brag and have them pouring by now, i did it at noon, but still need to settle. is there a calc for that? ;)

Bottled brown ale. Tastes pretty spot on to what I was looking for. I was slightly leery since I had bought a siphonless bmb from a friend who got super excited about brewing, but quit after a few extract kits. He's not known for his cleanliness so I took extra extra care to clean it thoroughly (especially after seeing the gunk in the spigot, ewwww), but seemed to have fermented just fine.

Sadly, all my fermenters are currently empty (besides a gallon of apricot vanilla mead thats stashed away, somewhere). Hopefully I can fix that in a couple weeks...

Hi everyone,
I'm the new member and I am curious, which bottle filler device do you use now?

If you are bottling from kegs, then look for the Biermuncher Bottle Filler, there should be at least one thread on it. I was gifted a Blichmann Beer Gun, but I haven't got around to figuring it out yet, so I'm still using the "My Junk is Ugly" method.

Ordered some plastic crates to replace the cardboard crates my bottles came in. Some of the cardboard is looking a little shady, and I think I'd cry if the bottom just dropped out of one while I was carrying it.
Do you mind sharing which ones you went with? I have been looking for an alternate bottle storage option for a while now. Thanks in advance!

Installed new co2 regulator on a new 20lb tank. Last tank (less than 2 months old) went pffft on me yesterday. 99.999999% positive it was the regulator; a while back the tank fell over and it must have been damaged, tried to repair it with lots of elbow grease and tape but just wouldn't hold. New one is under test now; if it holds I'll keg off the current WF lager that's been crashing a few days. Pipeline is getting low. And.....have decided to keg this year's Holiday Ale that I was supposed to bottle. Why, you ask? I'm effing lazy, that's why. I'll bottle some off the keg and store them away, but cleaning that many bottles (not to mention filling them, capping them, labelling them) is just beyond me right now. After all, that's why I switched to kegging in the first place anyway. And there's still time before Xmas to brew another one, right? RIGHT?????

opened a 55lb bag of malt and split it between two 6 gallon buckets, then grabbed what I needed for the Dunkel I plan to brew tomorrow and milled it as well as drew the water for the brew.

Installed new co2 regulator on a new 20lb tank. Last tank (less than 2 months old) went pffft on me yesterday. 99.999999% positive it was the regulator; a while back the tank fell over and it must have been damaged, tried to repair it with lots of elbow grease and tape but just wouldn't hold. New one is under test now; if it holds I'll keg off the current WF lager that's been crashing a few days. Pipeline is getting low. And.....have decided to keg this year's Holiday Ale that I was supposed to bottle. Why, you ask? I'm effing lazy, that's why. I'll bottle some off the keg and store them away, but cleaning that many bottles (not to mention filling them, capping them, labelling them) is just beyond me right now. After all, that's why I switched to kegging in the first place anyway. And there's still time before Xmas to brew another one, right? RIGHT?????
Right!!

Just got home from the LHBS with another bag of two-row and the adjuncts for tomorrow's IPA. And bought myself another 7g Fermonster; one of the two I had got warped when somebody (gee I wonder who) left the heat lamp a bit too close to it in the ferment fridge. Oh yeah that would be me. All in the bill only came to $86.40; enough grain to see me through the New Year, and I do love those fermonsters. Already added a spigot to the new one. Come kegging time, all I have to do is insert a sanitized length of 3/8"OD tubing in the spigot, run it into the keg, open the tap, and let er rip. The punt on the bottom of the fermonster keeps the yeast down below the spigot so I get clear beer every time. Beats my old autosiphon by a mile.

Today was supposed to be Brewday, but 50 mph winds and lots of rain decided to postpone it. Sorry AHA.
I brew outside so I keep an eye on the weather report, the rain you are getting just missed us on friday. It was suppose to be a light sprinkle around here but it look pretty good in your area this morning on the radar image. We were suppose to get some rain on sunday but it seem like that is not happening either so I might get to brew.

Bottled half of the Holiday Ale I brewed a couple of weeks ago and kegged the rest. Brewed a Pale Ale.
When I weighed the grains for the Pale there was just a little Munich 10 left in the bottom of the bag so I decided to add that to the grist. Plugging the extra 12 oz into Beersmith made me think I should call it a Winter Warmer instead of a Pale. The 1st runnings were 1.080, pre boil SG was .060 and FG was 1.070. Mmm. Beer.

Cleaned a keg and tapline; also took a portion of my baltic porter and flavored it with coffee and vanilla by request, and bottled it.

Me? Not a heck of a lot - but The Spousal Unit did "human temperature controller" duty over the last few days keeping a batch of Juicy Bits in its temperature lane in the face of a stuck cooling relay on my BrewPi minion while I was 150 miles away working on our mountain house.

I had pitched on Tuesday and the controller went stupid on Thursday - I had been checking the status from up north every so often and then saw the wort temp was at 62°F and dropping with a 65°F target - and the heater was running in response. Uh oh!

Called The Spousal Unit, got her down in the brewery, was watching her on my BrewCam (tm ;)) while guiding her to the right chamber. She related the Cooling indicator was off, but the fridge light came on with the door open - it was still in cooling mode. So I had her flip the controller's master cooling switch to Off and that killed the compressor. Crises averted for now.

Over the next couple of days I'd check the status every few hours and have her turn the fridge - or the heater - on or off when needed. She kept the wort between 65 and 66°F for almost three days :mug:

Cheers! (She's a keeper. Prolly why we're still married now almost 44 years :))

What I did on Saturday was bottle my first ever hard cider then jumped right into brewing my first Belgian tripel. The alcohol level will be a bit lower than I thought but we shall see. It is bubbling away nicely and I can't wait to see and even better, taste the finished product.

Back