What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged my imperial stout today. Used llalbrew voss kveik, isn't in the brewers friend db, so i put in omegas voss as a closest guess. nailed my OG of 1.101 spot on and estimate was a FG of 1.029 for around 9.5%. That voss was a beast and it finished at 1.021 instead for a 10.5% beast. Will definitely be a sipping beer. Sample is nice and rich, looking forward to seeing how it mellows out.

100+ of these suckers, and I’m only like halfway through that batter 🤣. Gonna have dog treats forever.
09BD5966-B2C0-4D41-BC4E-3E67C9FD1984.jpeg

Cold crashed a Xmas dubbel and started warming up a milk stout.
Also need to start to bottle up some beer for Xmas gifts.

What I did for beer today: held my nose! OMG have any of you ever used this yeast? I’m making a Fat Tire clone and it is vigorously fermenting. Most of the top layer of the krausen is the same color as the wort, and it smells like someone with really bad body odor just came out of a porta potty. Hit me as soon as I walked in the room, and I can barely stand next to it.
7D20CED5-A583-4037-A030-3A07625F750A.jpeg

What I did for beer today: held my nose! OMG have any of you ever used this yeast? I’m making a Fat Tire clone and it is vigorously fermenting. Most of the top layer of the krausen is the same color as the wort, and it smells like someone with really bad body odor just came out of a porta potty. Hit me as soon as I walked in the room, and I can barely stand next to it.
View attachment 704321
I don't know what to tell you dude. I've never used that yeast. Sounds bad but hey, Stinky cheese is good.

Not really FOR beer yet, but in about 18 months will be. Have a job interview this afternoon with a former co-worker, who has already told me I have the job, just have to go through the protocol. About a $5/hour pay cut but will be worth it in the long run. Current job pays well but just isn't what I want anymore. Anyone here in the freight industry (specifically container freight) will know my frustrations; add a seriously wackjob german control-freak boss who favors her also-employed in-laws over harder working employees to the mix, and I'm a basket case. Going back to working in a warehouse, easy, fairly mindless work, and no dealing with the container ports anymore. Best part is husband is 150% behind this move. Also have to change my hours; I currently work 5:30am to whenever (usually about 3:30pm, yay salary, not) and have to move to 11 to 7:30. Sleeping in! Time to do stuff in the morning! Let's hope it works out. I do love the freight industry, been in it for over 13 years, but it's time for a change.

Not really FOR beer yet, but in about 18 months will be. Have a job interview this afternoon with a former co-worker, who has already told me I have the job, just have to go through the protocol. About a $5/hour pay cut but will be worth it in the long run. Current job pays well but just isn't what I want anymore. Anyone here in the freight industry (specifically container freight) will know my frustrations; add a seriously wackjob german control-freak boss who favors her also-employed in-laws over harder working employees to the mix, and I'm a basket case. Going back to working in a warehouse, easy, fairly mindless work, and no dealing with the container ports anymore. Best part is husband is 150% behind this move. Also have to change my hours; I currently work 5:30am to whenever (usually about 3:30pm, yay salary, not) and have to move to 11 to 7:30. Sleeping in! Time to do stuff in the morning! Let's hope it works out. I do love the freight industry, been in it for over 13 years, but it's time for a change.
Change is gona do you good...

Worked at sea for a while so I know a couple of lorry drivers that sometimes do containers, I thought it was just an issue here but I see it's more or less the same worldwide

View attachment 704321
Have not used that yeast but I see a note about sulfur, are sure the smell is BO and not a hard boiled egg fart smell? I have used a few yeasts that made the garage(my brewhouse) smell like egg farts. Giving a little extra settling time before packaging goes a long way.

View attachment 704321
Some belgian yeast smells pretty sulphuric sometimes, I recently brewed a tripel with the Westmalle strain and it smells like rotten eggs and farts for 3 days or so, then it takes a couple weeks for it to clean.

The first time I used it I thought something was wrong, that I went to hot or even I got an infection through the blow off tube

Getting ready to restart the pipeline after almost 4 months of down-time due to dying keezer. Down to my last 4 kegs (out of 16)! Nearly crises time :D
So, a busy afternoon:
  • Did a full hot PBW recirculation on my 10 gallon 3v2p single tier rig then an equally hot rinse.
  • Took the pump heads apart for inspection (clean) and replaced both (skinnied) thrust washers.
  • Took all the ball valves apart (it's been awhile) for inspection (basically, checking gaskets and behind the balls). All quite clean (love hot PBW!)
  • Fired up the RO water controller and set it for a 20 gallon fill.
  • Also fired up ferm fridge #1, verified the compressor and heater still work under BrewPi control, set it for 66°F wort temp.
  • Measured out grains and salts for the 10th 10 gallon batch of my Julius clone.
  • Test fired both brew rig burners.
  • Staged everything needed for brew day tomorrow.
  • Loaded and programmed the coffee machine :)
Rarin' to go!

Cheers!

Bottled the rye lager. Sampled really well but definitely needs some bubbles and time. I was super bummed since to have the pils I was excited for end up with a horrible off flavor. This feels like a nice confidence boost again. Brown ale should be getting bottled soon, as well. Trying to get that fridge filled again!

Walked over to the LHBS to pick up some parts, cleaning supplies, and a new CO2 tank. Fixed the leak, but still needed to have the back up tank on hand.

Found out the LHBS's owner is picking up some P/T work brewing for one of our local brewpubs (owner needs help). I can't wait for some of the beers he's going to start brewing on their 7BBL system. Gonna be some good beer.

And, started planning the parts I will need to DIY a CIP system for my various containers (kettle, mash tun, carboys, kegs).

Yesterday - Clean a keg and kegged my Lutra helles, seems quite estery with a strong grape like flavor. I did ferment it at the high end of the temp range so I will try a lower temp next time. Check gravity on my IPA and was not impresses with progress only 20% attenuation for 36hrs. Normally see about 50% attenuation or better after 36hr. when I just sprinkled US-05 on the top so maybe that was a subpar package or treated poorly(still had 4month before expiration).

Today - Checked gravity on my IPA and looks like it made up for lost time as it was like 55% attenuated. Still a bit slow but looking better. Also started building some brewlabs TT yeast from a slant for a future brew day.

Woke up in gastro distress, probably the pizza last night, but I am plowing through this brew day anyway. So far so good...

20201029_115621.jpg

Fly sparge in progress...
20201029_130143.jpg

So...all done, and other than a shot of cold water right in the mush (idiot brewer move) it went pretty well for someone with four months of rust :)
All gassed up and instrumented and ready to make beer!

julius10_29oct2020_01sm.jpg

Ferm fridge bringing the wort up to cruising temp for the LA3...

julius10_29oct2020_03sm.jpg

Keg purge system hooked up...

julius10_29oct2020_02sm.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Now it looks and smells totally normal!

Yesterday - Stepped up my TT starter and made some new slants

Today - Dry hopped my IPA, then gave into an email from Yakama Valley hops about fresh hops and made an order. Will crash my TT starter later for a brew tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back