What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a version of my house Ordinary bitter except finished exclusively with some heavy late charges of Willamette, I want to get a good sense of what that hop tastes like to me. This batch is really just to build up a yeast cake for my "White Whale" beer, a Special Bitter I brewed a few years ago that I was never able to duplicate. My current theory is that I need a big pitch of second generation US-04 to get the same black cherry ester profile the beer had. Fun!

Brew day with Anvil 10.5. Flat tire clone looks good. Racked a double ipa from carboy to keg using Co2, and added dry hop for 2nd fermentation. First time doing this and it went well. Got a American ale on co2 carbonating in kegerator. Busy day. Made time to drink a great Irish stout. Love my Anvil.

Brewed up a marzen in the heat yesterday. Hit my numbers pretty much dead on, making the effort to brew in the mid-90's seem worth it. Started fermenting in a few hours.

Went out last night with the daughter & son-in-law for some great Italian food then down the street to Barbarian Brewing for some beers. My daughter (who is very picky about beer) was pretty p*ssed that her mother didn't bring her any homebrew (I forgot to bottle some in the chaos of packing/cleaning/work) but a great time was had by all, also some really good beer. Dunno where she got it but the kid loves sours; the one she had last night about made my eyeballs turn inside out but it was good if you like that sort of thing (I do NOT).

Went to the LHBS to pick up ingredients for this weekend. Found out they are under new management and this is a great thing as the previous owner was a bit of a jerk. New staff and they moved location to a few minutes from my house.
Will certainly be shopping there more often and less online now.

Washed up bottles for tomorrow, another stout. Removed ice bottles from my cooler housing carboys of a Dunkel so it can do a diacetyl rest. I also got water ready for brewing an ESB tomorrow.

Picked up the fixings for a 5 gallon Brittish Golden ale from the LHBS . Took a peek at the Mexican lager week 2 in the fridge, guess I should do a gravity but I will let it ride till 21 days lagering then check.
20200725_142428.jpg

I’m interested in a Brittish golden ale. Are you using all English hops?

Boiling EBS now
Yes I'm only using East Kent Holdings. 1oz 60 min, 1/2 oz last 10 min. Any English hop will do, like Fuggle or Target. I just happen to like the flavor and mildness of East Kent. I've never made Brittish Golden, I came up with my own recipe based on the general basic grains normally used. I've made English bitters before but not a Golden ale. I'm more of a malt head than a hop head so wanted authentic Brittish malt with a milder hop bite.

Yes I'm only using East Kent Holdings. 1oz 60 min, 1/2 oz last 10 min. Any English hop will do, like Fuggle or Target. I just happen to like the flavor and mildness of East Kent. I've never made Brittish Golden, I came up with my own recipe based on the general basic grains normally used. I've made English bitters before but not a Golden ale. I'm more of a malt head than a hop head so wanted authentic Brittish malt with a milder hop bite.
[/
Here is what I'm doing. It's my own take on a Brittish Golden. You can try it or use it as a guide...or not! Mind you I've not made this yet so don't know the final result. It's pretty much though the base grains of a Brittish Golden. I've added a half pound of Munich to give it a slightly darker color and a bit more caramel taste. Cheers!
20200725_151216.jpg

I’ve not branched out to some of those malts yet but you said you were a malt head lol. I’ll be planning. It’s probably 2 months down the road or so.

Finally got to a brew day-the last one was 6/10! During the downtime, tasted the beers that are aging.

Flanders Red, perfect, needs to be kegged and a new batch dropped onto the existing cultures in the bottom of the fermenter.

Pale Sour, kicked up a notch since I added a toasted oak spiral. Damn! The last two batches were ok, this one is going to be amazing. Same process as the Red, brew a new one and drop onto existing culture.

The "Chile Pepper Saison that didn't work and I tried to make malt vinegar with it by adding live culture apple cider vinegar," has become a mild sour that I just want to drink. At room temp. Damn. Now I wish I had more than 3 gallons of it.

This year's Barley Wine, where I tried a Bigfoot clone from the AHA. 12.7%, 193 IBU (Brewer's Friend Calculator), SRM 13. Been in the primary fermenter for 6 weeks (on oak and dry hop for 4). Tasting notes: vinous, maybe slightly oxidized. Spicy, distinct cactus aftertaste. Attenuated a little bit on the sweet side, very caramelly. There is a slight coffee bitterness to it, but more dulce de leche sweet coffee. This one needs to get into the keg for carbonation, unless someone knows a great method for bottle conditioning a 12.7% beer. I have had bad luck (i.e. flat) before.

Whew, time to try the red wine that is going to become port...and then maybe a nap...

The BW:
IMG_7848.JPG

Last edited:
  • Built a couple orders into the LHBS cart for next week.
  • Ordered some hops from hops direct and Yakima valley and brew hardware. Washed and water tested new 7G fermonster.
  • Discovered that the used keg I bought doesn’t use the same spare o rings that I have for a regular corny keg....
    • Decided it is unlikely I’m going to buy another used keg....

The "Chile Pepper Saison that didn't work and I tried to make malt vinegar with it by adding live culture apple cider vinegar," has become a mild sour that I just want to drink. At room temp. Damn. Now I wish I had more than 3 gallons of it.

LOL, now you're moving into my style of brewing! not sure if that's a compliment or insult! at any rate :mug:

The last two brew days have included a batch of my Centennial Blonde variation. I recently upgraded my burner, fermentor and cooling system, so I keep brewing the same thing with the new equipment in order to get my process down. For instance, put the neoprene sleeve on the Anvil BEFORE you attach all the parts, duh. Looking forward to kegging this tomorrow with some dry hops. Should be drinkable by this weekend.
IMG_7850.JPG

Kegged the latest 10g batch of my imperial chocolate honey stout, using the first pair of fermentation-purged kegs - and thanks to @doug293cz for his work-up on the viability of this practice.

The old GS4 I keep in the brewery as a music player wasn't up to taking this pic. Sorry 'bout that...

stout_7_kegging_27jul20.jpg

Cheers!

New (used & repaired) brewing/storage table.

I get a marginal, almost slightly, maybe, but not quite, feeling that this is becoming somewhat, possibly obsessional.

View attachment 691501
I may have more pots in the garage than we do in the kitchen.

Kegged the apple/cherry cider that finally finished out, and put the Citra/Sabro IPA (on Loki) in the kegerator for crashing. Came down to 1.014, bit early yes but since I kicked the lager keg earlier today I need it on tap sooner than expected. Dunno if it's the yeast's fault, or if the dry hop bag opened up, but this beer is GREEN. Smells okay but flavor is currently grassy as hell; the first one I did with these hops was the same, and it turned out great, so I have high hopes for this one.

I think I’m going to make the easiest quickest beer I can today. I do small batches so I’m going one pound of DME and about 25 IBU of saaz with Kveik yeast slurry. Figured I’ll be done in about 90 minutes. Should be tasty enough for a summer day??

I think I’m going to make the easiest quickest beer I can today. I do small batches so I’m going one pound of DME and about 25 IBU of saaz with Kveik yeast slurry. Figured I’ll be done in about 90 minutes. Should be tasty enough for a summer day??

could always make it a lager....

Put the Blonde in the keg with dry hop, cleaned kegs, cleaned the keezer. Oven-toasted some sugar cane, think it will end up in my upcoming Black is Beautiful stout.

Tapped the Citra/Sabro IPA (or is it a Pale? I dunno) a bit ago and very happy with it. No bittering hops gives it a nice malt backbone, and the late Sabro/Citra additions are quite tasty. And the Loki yeast seems to have augmented the pineapple from the Sabro. Oh yes, very happy with this one. Also milled the grain for the lemon drop blonde I have planned for tomorrow. Gonna be a good weekend after a long hard week at work.

I'm embarrassed to say I had to Google "grisette"...I learned something. For beer, I'm doing my usual pre-brewday prep of water additions, grain weighing, and "stuff" layout. Tomorrow is a milk stout. I may be brewing during a hurricane, so there's that :) .

I'm embarrassed to say I had to Google "grisette"...I learned something. For beer, I'm doing my usual pre-brewday prep of water additions, grain weighing, and "stuff" layout. Tomorrow is a milk stout. I may be brewing during a hurricane, so there's that :) .
I live in Central Florida so I might be too I'm brewing a cream ale with mango

Brewed up a stout, adding 4oz of lightly toasted sugarcane to the fermenter, because WTH.

**EDIT** So this is the first time I have really put my Anvil bucket and cooling system to use. I dropped the wort to 65 after oxygenation and adding yeast, and didn't have any activity the first day, so I have since upped it to 67F. Using White Labs WL007, Dry English Ale. It's the first time in a long time I have not had almost immediate activity. I'm waiting it out, nervously, and I hope I didn't stun the poopies out of my yeast.
IMG_8025.JPG

Last edited:
Back