What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed my car. How does that pertain to what I did for beer today? Well. No car=bus to work, which equals no second job, which equals no spare $$ for brewing, which of course leads to no beer, which leads to extremely unhappy me and unrest in the household. So $20 relay for the fuel pump fixed the problem (believe it or not, I'm not only a homebrewer but a fairly experienced home mechanic as well, with the power of Google behind me; yes I know how to do more than plug in a relay), and I have permission to refill the grain bins this weekend (within reason). Long ago when my first husband and I divorced (fairly amicable) he insisted I learn everything I could about maintaining my vehicle so I wouldn't be stranded; I've expanded on it over the years until I do my own oil changes, brakes, alternators, radiators, and small electrical repairs. Even did a water pump once. Last weekend I replaced the rotors and pads in my husband's Elantra, and did a very good job of it.

Took apart and cleaned 3 kegs and racked my kveik dry irish stout into one! Still crazy that a beer is done in 2.5 days!

I drank the gravity sample I took for my American wheat using Voss kveik at roughly 40 hours post-pitch. Sure, it was only 1.019 so far but I could have drank a full glass of it already! This is my first kveik ferment and I'm already thinking about which jars of yeast slurry I can toss down the drain.

Just took a test and taste of the Pale/Amber/Something I brewed last Saturday, because all we have in the house to drink right now is CL (yes somebody let the pipeline get way too low). Absolutely amazeballs at this one. Down to 1.014 from 1.059; no residual sweetness from the malt, since I bittered wth Chinook; the late additions of Southern passion give it a nice fruitiness on top of the dankness that Chinook can give, and the home-caramelized Crystal gives it a slight darkness that is pleasing. Bit fuselly but I know that will fade with a bit of time, but very sorely tempted to get this in the keg tonight. Darn proud of this one, kinda like Manny's on steroids.

Racked my doppelbock to the keg for lagering! 9.2%
20190905_192729.jpeg

I had pitched a bog standard John Palmer Irish Dry Stout with an added pound of oats 4-5 days ago using banked yeast straight from the test tube without making a starter. Viability sucked. Today the gravity hadn't budged. So I hit it with banked "beast yeast" (effectively a house mix of 02,notty, pub, windsor, adnan's, burton, irish, w yorkie, whitbread, WLP026, WLP085), tonight and aerated with the power drill attachment. Hopefully that sucker will be overflowing the airlock by morning....

436655d72a76973012.jpg

Been so incredibly hot and dry summer I've been tinkering and arsing around with all manner of things that go broom and haven't even looked at the brew rig for months. Summer's slowly turning into fall, sold the motorbike and bought an Alfa GT instead, front yard apple tree started to bend under it's own weight so decided to try my hand at making a batch of fresh pressed hard apple cider which threw a spark to the old flame, long story short over the last week been soaking and cleaning a couple hundred bottles, all the fermenter buckets, brewed a batch of some sort of bitter, washed the kit again, ordered ingredients to brew a sturdy rauchbier today, they didn't show but dang it I've set my mind to brewing today so brew I will, still got just enough malts and hops to brew a pale/fuggle SMASH, just gotta decide whether to pitch an S-58 or an old satchel of a Coopers tin kit.

Built a small starter from the dregs of a 2016 allagash confluence. It's working! I'll build another regular 1L size one again and store it for when I'm ready to do a brut IPA

Harvested about 5 ounces of East Seattle Goldings (ESG), and making an English bitter split batch with Premium Bitter, Adnan's and Whitbread yeast tonight. Will use about 80% BU:GU with real EKG and then the 5 ounces ESG split at 5 minutes and flame out to add terroir.

My Norther Brewer homegrown hops matured well and made a great harvest ale. The ESG, which I picked the ripest cones, and Tettnanger (maybe next weekend) have NOT ripened so well. I'm in Seattle, and the N Brewer gets the best light. But still, this year has been disappointing for the ESG and Tettnanger.

Harvested about 5 ounces of East Seattle Goldings (ESG), and making an English bitter split batch with Premium Bitter, Adnan's and Whitbread yeast tonight. Will use about 80% BU:GU with real EKG and then the 5 ounces ESG split at 5 minutes and flame out to add terroir.

My Norther Brewer homegrown hops matured well and made a great harvest ale. The ESG, which I picked the ripest cones, and Tettnanger (maybe next weekend) have NOT ripened so well. I'm in Seattle, and the N Brewer gets the best light. But still, this year has been disappointing for the ESG and Tettnanger.

Took Thursday off this week just to brew!
SWMBO was put of town and the kids were off to school so I did a bunch. Brewed a BM centennial blonde/ Belgian blonde partigyle, Yuengling ag clone, and an Oktoberfest extract kit while that mashed. Next day, regular day off, brewed up a Christmas ale extract kit I got on the cheap with some home grown pumpkins. Pumpkin guts were mashed w the specialty grains and a couple extra pounds of pills. Flesh went into the boil in bags.
5 fermenters going in the basement now!

So $20 relay for the fuel pump fixed the problem

damn, yet another honda that won't start! (i just tore mine apart and resoldered it!)

of course that was, AFTER, i already ripped the back seat out and pulled the fuel pump, and all that fun stuff!

edit: i hesitate to say it, for fear of getting banned....but your sexiness knows no bounds! :D

Last edited:
Thanks to the hurricane threat I finished up re-planting my hops. I installed the poles securely, and more spaced. Also, I added 2' of gardening miracle grow soil below the pots, and tied twine to the bines to hold them up.
20190907_175411.jpeg

Harvested a bucket of Tettnanger. Also got 50# of Pilsen DME at my LHBS today. While I enjoy whole grain brewing, and it's pretty key for Golden Promise or other more specialty malts, there is a lot to be said for a partial mash and being able to brew 5 gallons in an hour. Thus today my Tettnanger Harvest Ale was brewed.

My harvest ale learnings over the past couple of years are:
1. whatever hop I grow (EKG, N Brewer and Tettnanger), I used commercial hop pellets to hit at least a BG:OG bittering ratio of 50%.
2. The last 15 minutes of the boil, then I start throwing in large handfuls of the fresh hops. Maybe 15 minutes, 5 minutes and flame out.
3. Let the hop sponges drain out the wort they captured
4. taste it and decide if need to dry hop. And whether to use commercial hops for the dry hop or combined with homegrown.
5. I don't bother drying out the hops for later. Just throw in a boatload for a fresh hop ale. (I did dry them for later my first year, and decided it was a lot of work. Instead, bottle up 3-4 batches in season and enjoy them throughout the year works better for me.

damn, yet another honda that won't start! (i just tore mine apart and resoldered it!)

of course that was, AFTER, i already ripped the back seat out and pulled the fuel pump, and all that fun stuff!

edit: i hesitate to say it, for fear of getting banned....but your sexiness knows no bounds! :D

:ban:No worries, it's appreciated! Husband thinks the same because I've saved us a lot of $$ over the years doing my own maintenance and small repairs. We've had that thing for 11 years, worst thing that's gone wrong was the tranny had to be replaced two years ago. Other than that it runs great...although it's not technically a Honda, it's a rebranded Isuzu. Belonged to my best friend's dad until he passed, he put a new engine in it at 60k and kept it nice.

I went to Epcot's food and wine festival (they sell beer and cider as well) and drank several expensive 3-4 oz pours of beer. It's not cost effective, but it is magical. Several Florida Breweries are featured and worth the trip.

First time posting in this thread but felt today was productive enough to warrant sharing.

1. Cleaned my two kegs to prep for use today.

2. Made a cider from a Brewer's Best Kit. My first cider and I am pressed for time since we want it to be ready for a party in early September. I'm using voicelex's method of keg fermentation and natural carbonation. The kit was a nice break from the full day of brewing while giving me time to clean.

3. Transferred the second half of summer ale to keg (better late than never).

4. Miscellaneous cleaning.

Got my hop order from HopsDirect; now have to decide what to brew with the Comet & Northern Brewer hops I ordered. Also got 2 pounds of 2017 Crystal pellets, which I love to use as late additions in my lagers. Would love some ideas for the Comet and NB hops....

Back