What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did a secondary for the first time in 3 years. Latest WF lager; reason being, the one brewed previously has issues with autolysed yeast (taste is fading, thank ninkasi) and I want this one to be ready for holiday quaffing. Also moved the fermenter with House IPA from the brewroom where it fermented at 70 to the fridge to start crashing, hoping to keg later this week. No brewing this weekend (sad face) because running low on hops and family stuff.

Lol to the sad face because of " family stuff"! I'm trying to non chalantly check on the temp of my 5 gallons of spiced Xmas baltic Porter but got caught! Then my wife took my 2.5 gallon fermenter of spiced Brown ale and sat it on the floor! I was not happy! I guess it was "in the way", being in the middle of the dinning room table where the turkey needs to go!

I brewed a smash beer I called "Smasharillo" My second brew with my new Robobrew V3. Very easy cleanup with this system.

Set three kegs to carbonating. Tasted my Gruit. It seems to have soured after moving it to 2ndry. Cleaning and Cleaning.

Last edited:
Inoculated yeast cultures in order to obtain some fresh yeast at the time of bottling. Raised the waterbath temperature of my ESB fermentation. Krausen is getting smaller and smaller and looks very smooth and creamy now. Krausen in the red ale has dropped almost completely and I'm planning to cool it down during the weekend.

co2 tank was running low last night, so brought it with me to work today to exchange at the welding shop down the street. Black Friday and all, they were closed; also it was a slow day at work, so had to hie me to the LHBS down in Puyallup to exchange. Darn it, those 2 lbs of special b and packet of yeast just jumped on the counter and begged to be bought! I just couldn't resist those sad looks when I tried to say "no". At least that's what I'm telling myself. And I just can't let them sit in the brewery all lonely when all they want is to be married up with the two row, crystal 40, & hops I already have....plus some spices to make a holiday ale that should have been brewed 3 weeks ago. Brewing...somebody's gotta do it. Sigh..guess I'll just have to. (are you reading this honey????)

436655bf99aea32aa3.jpg

Bought some new glassware to snob out with some brews.

Not today, but last night, my son and i cracked a keg of a modification of BierMunchers Centennial blonde. I have brewed this beer many times as is, and am quite content with it. but my son has recently taken a liking to Sam 76, and since this beer strikes me a somewhat hoppy/citrusy sort of blond ale we decided to tweak the old standby a tiny bit. We bumped up the 2 row by a half pound and the vienna by a half pound, to bump up gravity just a bit. We subbed out the Notty for Hornindal Kveik, and we started fermentation at 68* and after 48 hours raised it to 80. I do not know if this latter was needed, cause it was pretty much done at 48 hours! Still we raised it up slowly and left it in primary for 7 days. Then we kegged for two weeks. The only other tweak too this batch was the addition of .5 oz of Citra right at flame out. Pretty darn close. I like it quite a bit, it has a real citrus/fruity (Almost pineapple) sort of note in your nose. ABV came in at 4.9% so pretty close to the Sam, and only a tick higher than the 4% or so I usually get with BM's original gem. the kid says he can't put his finger on what is missing too him and the whole thing may need more/longer sampling sessions to figure it out:bott: SO. the experiment continues, and we will put up the end results when ever the kid deems the end result publication worthy! As it stands it is a fizzy yellow bright refreshing sort of beer that inspires joyful bouts of excessive consumption - Not an all bad thing.

(One confession about the above grain amounts - They ARE NOT the strictest of experimental numbers and the word ABOUT is about right. I think we actually had .89 lb of Vienna, and 7.57 lb of 2 Row left on hand when we started - so that is what we used. I am not going to sweat the little decimal differences on this, but some do so i thought i would add the actual numbers we used:D)

Driving back to Orlando from Memphis after visiting family for the holidays. When I get back my Oktoberfest lager should be carbed up and ready! I will post a taste test later hopefully!!

Finished 3 days diacetyl rest of my 5 gallons Spiced Xmas Porter(6.5%) and 2.5 gallons Partigyled Spiced session brown ale(3.9%), now cold crashing to low 50's high 40's in my cool brewing bag for 5 days then will clarify for several days with Gelatin finings.

Assembled my Ferrari.

Hey, the bottle corker for the "Lambic" and Berliner Wiesse is made by them. Say so on the box.

I couldnt brew this weekend( Tuesday Wdnesday for me) beacause usps lost my package with Voss in it[emoji36]. So, I took a sample of my breakfast stout. Its about 2/3 carbed and very tasty. Kegged a batch of IPA. Finished at 1.015 from 1.069 and 7.1%. Now the fermentasaurus is sitting on the washer. Later i will drink beer.

Yesterday bottled 5 g chocolate milk stout, 1 gallon HOT! chocolate ( chocolate milk stout aged on one Chipotle pepper and one dried Serrano), 1g old ale aged w bourbon and oak.
I think I overdid the pepper but should be fine mixed w the base beer at drinking time. Intended to give it 5 days on the peppers, ended up being 2 wks...

I ordered two pouches of OYL605 Lacto blend for my next couple sours. The rest I can source locally so I figured its payday why not just order it before stock runs out. Made my last one with Good Belly now lets see what a real pitch can do.

I'm a member of the local Lion's Club. We meet once a month and take turns bringing supper to the meetings (small, rural community, no restaurants, we meet in the American Legion hall which has, sort of, a kitchen, so everything is prepared at home and brought in).

Last night was my turn to cook. Made pulled pork, coleslaw, tater salad and baked beans (my wife made the tater salad; hers is the best). I had three nearly full kegs on tap, a California Common, a Weisenbock, and a Wheat Ale, so I brought a growler of each.

We plan for about 20 people but last night there were only 10. So, I brought home a lot of leftovers, but also, three empty growlers.

Most of the guys there had never had homebrew. They were a little hesitant but when the first guy to pour took a sip and said "Wow, this is pretty good!" The ice was broken.

One old guy, a 90 year old high school classmate of my mother, remembered the nasty homebrew of his youth and didn't really want to try mine. Someone handed him a short pour of the Cali Common. He had a second one. Made my day.

436655c002d55aa416.jpg

Bought a water gun off ebay for cheaps. The connector doesn't fit ours but pretty much guessed that already.

436655c002d55db15a.jpg

First thing took the twist adjuster off the tip, ground the T flat off the end and drilled a new hole pointing forward.

436655c002d5976aa7.jpg

One plastic male euro connector later and bam, a bottle wash gun for a fiver.

Still trying to coax about 2% more abv out of my braggot. Have already tried adding fresh yeast, nutrients, additional oxygenation, but barely moving. The last yeast add was less than a week ago, so I added some table sugar to give it some simple sugars to munch on (assuming it returns to the current SG, I'll hit my goal). Here's hoping I'm not ruining it...

Made a 3 liter starter this morning from harvested German ale yeast wlp 1007 for my smash double IPA I'm brewing this weekend! Also, I did a overbuild by 1 liter so I can draw that off to harvest!
IMG_20181130_111239174_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday finally got around to tasting the lager I've had on secondary for a week or so. Clear as the proverbial bell, with a nice flavor that is reminiscent of very light barleywine for some reason. Could be the crystal 40 I had in there for color. Gonna get kegged up tomorrow since today was spent working at the boss' brewery turning out two, and getting paid with the leftover Mosaic pellets from today's Rye IPA and 3lbs of Cascade leaf he had lying around. Want to brew tomorrow, but we're attending a friendsgiving at our dear friends' house that I have to do some cooking for (cheesy potatoes and homemade butter) as well as chores that got laid by this week. Planning the brew for next weekend which will get fermented in a quarter barrel keg gifted from the boss after some alterations; never fermented in stainless before and eager to see and taste the difference.

And not really beer related, but soon will go get myself cleaned up and fawncy for dinner at a posh restaurant with the husband, to celebrate signing the papers on our house this week! And we already live here (been renting for 10+ years) so don't have to move! Great big steak here I come!

Back