What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it's effing delicious. For anyone who hasn't brewed a Milkshake yet and is considering it, go higher on the lactose if the recipe calls for less than 1/2 pound. I used a whole pound at 10 minutes for a 5 gallon batch, and it seems to be right. This is also the first batch that I've filtered going into the fermenter, and what with that and an extended cold crash it's going to be perfectly clear.

Preparing for an epic brew day, cannot for the the of me, find my dang mash bag!!!

I couldn't find my campden this morning, finally said the heck with it and started. 15 minutes into the mash and the damn container I keep them in is staring me in the face from my table, under a book, where I didn't look. First brew in 2 years that I haven't used it. I know we have good water so I'm just going to run with it.

Luckily I don`t have to deal with stuff like that as Finland is told to have THE purest tap water in the world, AND I happen to live on the bank of an ice age gravel ridge which is in itself a huge filter of impurities so our water is about as clean as it gets without laboratory grade equipment.

Brew one in the fermenter, brew two mashing, "lunch" break (coming 7pm).

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

Cleaning two tap lines and kegs. The recirculating pumps are doing their job while I wait and drink a beer. Once they are done, I run them again with hot water and wait for the timer to go off.

Just finished up brewing a Cascade/Legacy IPA that will ferment on 2nd gen BRY-97 yeast (because it's what I have, and I'm cheap). I chilled some of the wort from the IPA not long after boil started, and dumped that on the BRY-97 slurry from which I had just racked off my Peach Milkshake IPA. Not 45 minutes after pitching, at a respectable 72 degrees, that yeast is going like gangbusters. If I don't get any off-flavors (and I don't think I will) this might just be my new 'house ale' yeast. I've got lager yeast saved for my WF lagers, but I like to have a variety in the wings as it were. Damn I love being a homebrewer.

Kegged my all grain sawmill pale ale clone that had been cold crashing for about 3 days.

I was going to keg saturday but my bad knee was extra bad so went back to bed to rest it after filling the 19L and a 10L keg with sodium percarbonate to soak.

Today the kegs got the rinse and starsan sanitise and finally kegged it. Carrying the 19L back into the house to purge and carbonate really pushed my knee over the edge... sharp nasty pain walking and aching. A bit of colourful language as I carried it in...

Not good when the cartilage is dissappearing rapidly and the last lot of cortisone isnt working to reduce the inflamation. Next injection of cortisone on friday but my knee seems so inflamed it might take a week after that to settle :-(. At least then I can start brewing up a storm in the two months when its working.

I had to get this beer kegged as the pipeline was running low and when I brewed it my knee wasnt so inflamed.
I really wanted it off the dry hops and in the keg.

Attachments

• 20180916_180353.jpg
    20180916_180353.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 20180916_180401.jpg
    20180916_180401.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
Brewed a brown ale and kegged an oatmeal stout; gravity sample was very nice.

Last edited:
436655b9f808358c82.gif

Popped in the garage this morning to see if my brews over the weekend had started fermenting. Now I've seen vigorous fermentation before but nothing like this :D First time I tried SafAle K-97, normally been using S-04 and US-05

Edit: wtf why the gif is working in the edit window but not in the actual post?!

Last edited:
I joined my first in January, 6 years into the hobby. Really should have done it sooner too.

Georgia just started cracking down on non-salable alcohol being in retail locations (LHBS is also a bottle/growler shop), which has kinda put a crimp in the Homebrew club.

Building a shed in the back yard, so that I can move all of my lawn equipment out there. I need to make room for my new workbench, move my fermentation fridges out to the garage and make room for the new keezer.

My laptop is 90% for Beersmith and to watch Netflix while brewing.

Yea well this one will also have programs like OBDAutodoctor, TuneEcu and so forth but still a garage-only machine. I had my office tabletop custom built robust enough that in the last six years the only update I`ve done was a graphix card and even that was not out of necessity but of opportunity when my wife`s brother updated his I bought the old one off him.

Had cortisone and local ansthetic injected into my bad knee by my dr this morning before work which should give me about two months relatively pain free which means a big burst of pipeline refilling brewing and house renovations etc.

Takes a week to really start working but then i can brew. The 3rd month where the cortisone doesn't work sucks and the pain killers are bad so limited brewing then

so yes being tortured at the doctor can be for beer LOL.

I have a needle phobia so its definitly not fun

View attachment 589130 Brew day today, 5.5 gallons of Harvest Hefe is in the fermentor-- 10 ounces of homegrown liberty and crystal combined and .5 oz TETTNAG pellets for insurance. Yeast starter should be ready to pitch in the morning.
10.5 oz of hops in 5.5 gal of hefe? It must be an American Wheat not a true German Hefe Weizen.

When using wet hops, the amount used can be 5-10 times higher than pellets. I tasted the gravity sample and it was not over hopped for a German Hefe. I have some guests that lived in Germany for many years coming to my Oktoberfest, I'll let you know what they think, I'm always interested in the feedback they give.

Many who grow their own only use home grown for late additions and dry hopping (would dry the cones and freeze them first, as little bugs love hiding in them) due to the variations growing conditions and time of harvest may cause. I do grow Newport, a bittering hop and have had a pretty nice result using it as intended. Of course, using dry cones the addition is about twice the weight of what pellets would be.

Had cortisone and local ansthetic injected into my bad knee by my dr this morning before work which should give me about two months relatively pain free which means a big burst of pipeline refilling brewing and house renovations etc.

Takes a week to really start working but then i can brew. The 3rd month where the cortisone doesn't work sucks and the pain killers are bad so limited brewing then

so yes being tortured at the doctor can be for beer LOL.

I have a needle phobia so its definitly not fun
I strained my knee about a month ago, by not falling, and it is just starting to feel normal again. No NSAIDS for breakfast today. Glad you are feeling better. May I suggest you talk with a NLP Practitioner or hypnotist about the needle issue? Be well, and enjoy your next brew day!

Cleaned and sanitized two kegs. Getting ready for my first brew day since May. Been a busy summer.

Edit: Oh and, refilled my CO2 tank due to a leak. And More Beer replacing my 3 way secondary regulator due to a leak...see first sentence. A banner day!!

Cleaned and sanitized two kegs. Getting ready for my first brew day since May. Been a busy summer.

Edit: Oh and, refilled my CO2 tank due to a leak. And More Beer replacing my 3 way secondary regulator due to a leak...see first sentence. A banner day!!

since may! damn you don't brew/drink enough homebrew! how are you supposed to keep a smile on your face with all that sobriety? lol

I just put wet green malt in the oven at 150f to convert, then i plan on bumping the temp up to 240f for 12 hours to see what color crystal i get out of it....

exciting times for my homebrew career right now..been drinking the same dark munich stuff for almost 3 years, good stuff, but damn i'm excited for it to be looking like i'll be able to make different things again! I owe it all to you guys here too! Thanks HBT... :)

Changed out the pump and some fittings on my glycol chiller.

Started cold crashing 10g Amber ale and 10g cream ale.

Pump died a week ago so they've basically been in a prolonged d rest all week. 75f is a little warm so I hope they don't end up with some off flavors. Both were in primary over a week so it shouldn't be too bad.

Filled up my grain container with 55lbs of two row I got paid with today for helping the boss knock out two big batches in 8 hours, now drinking on my Peach milkshake IPA and dreaming of the fantastic brewday I'm going to have tomorrow.

Today (oops, yesterday already) I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Who's In The Garden Grand Cru Ale, a copy of the Belgian Hoegaarden Grand Cru, which I found in Charlie Papazian's The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. The first time I tried it was last July (2017), and it turned out so well that I'm not sure why I waited so long to repeat it. I dumped the yeast cake at the base of my hops plant, which is in it's first full year of growth and has four cones, all way up top. I don't know what variety it is because it's from a shoot that I stole from a neighbor. He's a commercial brewer and never seems to be home when I am. His bines are doing fine, so I'm sure he doesn't mind, especially knowing that I would have asked permission had I ever found him at home. And if I do see him on one of my walks I'll be sure to clue him in. I'm guessing (and hoping) the plant will be more productive next season. I may even try to repropogate it and start a new bine.

here's my second thing for beer today, put some barley sprouts out to dry for kilning....upgraded to a 6 tier drying rack too...

100_0470.JPG

and i'm excited for my next batch i got some crystal malt that smell makes me...well i won't say in polite company....

Did a starter of Omega Voss Kveik. Gonna rinse it and put it in a jar. Then, do the same Omega Hornindal Kveik to start my saved cultures. Brewing a NEIPA this week with a blend of the two

Back