What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a 3 gal. starter for my two hearted ale I'll brew this weekend. It's chilling a few days until I can put some time aside. Likely Saturday....

Made a 3 gal. starter for my two hearted ale I'll brew this weekend. It's chilling a few days until I can put some time aside. Likely Saturday....

What size batch / OG are you doing that requires a 3 gal starter?

Packed up the party pig full of carbonated irish red. Pulled a little sample off of it to make sure it was good. Seems alright, with none of the foaming that I'd been hearing about around the internet. Not looking forward to the 7-8 hour drive to Austin, TX im in for after work though.

Purchased the ingredients to make an interpretation of a Petrus aged red.

It'll be splitting the difference between a quad and a dubbel, kettle soured a bit for tartness, and 100% Brett Lambicus. Cherries and some wood in secondary.

A couple years back I made three all grain 1 gal batches of beer with what turned out to be a bad thermometer. Mashed WAY high on all three, the FGs were absurd. In an effort to experiment, I mixed the three, added some brett and dregs from a sour beer just to see what would happen. Was actually moving along nicely. I added some strawberries, then decided to bulk age a bit before bottling. Then I completely forgot about it. Found it today, opened it up, pulled a sample. Looked nice, super clear. Smelled nice - fruity and tart. Tasted it. Vinegar. So down the drain it went. Threw out the bucket it was fermenting in. Won't do that again.

After that I scrubbed out my temp controlled chest freezer (had some mold growing in there... not conducive to a healthy environment), dropped the temp to below freezing for a couple days to kill anything left alive in there. Going to the LHBS in a bit to take advantage of a big sale they've got going on, hope to brew up a nice simple blonde tomorrow for some summer drinking.

Brewed a special bitter. Maris Otter, Carastan and some carapils. EKG and WLP013. Nice and simple.

My definition of "beer" is a little atypical. But I brewed 3 small batches (I only do 1 gal batches)
1. ginger beer
2. Molasses Beer
3. Cider.

A blowtorch is your friend here.

Picked up a cheap mirror and some blackboard paint for a new taplist today.

I used a torch when I did my table. I was a fan. But it broke and I had a heat gun and it was perfect then ten minutes later after I took a shower it's a damn mess... Looks like I'm drilling holes and sanding and pouring a new top coat -_-

View attachment 1495934929840.jpg

Anybody have any good tips? On woodworking forums they say that you can A ) drill them out and fill with epoxy or B ) sand the entire surface down and wet sand that and drill out holes and redo the surface..

Online I read it's the CO2 from the torch and not the heat. I used Mrs Pkrds creme brulee torch. I hate creme brulee a little less now.

Yeah I tried just using my unhooked CO2 line from my second tap too but that was to no avail. I will try the torch for the top coat next time after I drill out all these holes, thanks!

Keged 30 gallons of beer. Cleaned all my tap lines and conections, got lines hooked to new shanks and have everything pressurizing. Cleaned fermentation vessels. Added beers to raspberry pi tap list. Also sanded down 3 wood tap handles installed inserts and hit them with linseed oil.

20170527_200009.jpg

Bottled 4.5 gal of hefe. Second batch in a row and,sadly, I think I have officially made myself sick of hefeweissen. Also ordered ingredients for an imperial blonde. Should be a nice change.
:mug:

Got a Maris Otter/Golding almost SMASH going, pressure canned a whole bunch of starter wort, fixed the valves
on my various pumps (one had the handle at an inconvenient angle, the other one was leaking at a joint, and some other little projects.

Holy crap, I just took stock of all my beer related activities today and I think I had one of the busiest beerdays in a long, long time...

Lemme count the ways....
1) Kegged 5 gallons of my Kentucky Common so I could use the yeast cake for my Rye Red Ale I planned to brew today.
2) Ran out to the beerstore/homebrew shop that was open today to pick up grains for the Red Ale, while there I noticed a plastic bag of mixed grain labelled "Stout Mix" for ridiculously cheap on the shelf above the grain bins. Probably someone put a recipe together and their card didn't clear or something so I thought "WTF, it will be beer, anyway" and decided to grab it as well.
3) Brewed the Rye Red Ale
4) Broke in my new Lava Tools Carbon Lite Bluetooth thermometer on the brew.
5) Added 2# of frozen blood oranges to my Hibiscus, Blood Orange and Sichuan Peppercorn witbier, to get ready to keg in a week.
6) Dry Hopped my IPA.
7) Put together a Tropical Stout recipe with the "mystery stout" mix, Bavarian Lager yeast, and probably date palm mollases or some sort of strange sugar I'll get at the Bengali Market tomorrow.
8) Started cobbling together the pieces to make a gas post keg airlock so I can lager the tropical stout in my keezer.

That plus this past weekend finishing my new keezer, which replaced the one that died last winter, this one has an inline Randall where I can split the beer off to two taps, one directly, and another through the randall.

I seriously can't believe how much beer stuff I did...

Oh, yeah and the store had a 4 pack of M-43 NEIPA... so I imbibed in that as well.

Moved harvested yeast from quart jars to pint jars. Frees up a little more space in the fridge and can reuse the quart jars for canned starter wort.

Cleaned a bunch of mason jars and making canned starter wort as I type this.

Bought the ingredients for my cherry wheat ale. I have to make a starter tonight. Not sure which yeast I'll use yet...

This was actually yesterday, but I was too tired to post afterwards...

-Got a yeast starter going (the night before)
-Cleaned and sanitized 54 12oz bottles
-Cleaned and sanitized my bottling bucket and accessories
-Dropped a batch into the bottling bucket
-Cleaned and sanitized the fermenter and accessories
-Brewed a batch of White IPA using my new Blichmann Hellfire Burner
(Lawdy, did it get to a boil quickly)
-Dropped the IPA into the fermenter
-Cleaned the Boil Kettle
-Filled the bottles from my previous batch
-Pitched yeast for the new batch
-Cleaned the bottling bucket
-Cleaned the Erlenmeyer Flask
-Cleaned the Hellfire
-Labeled my freshly filled bottles
(During all that, Finished a keg of Cream Ale)

Hobby, my arse! That felt like a job for a while!

Washed 2 kegs and one of the beer lines/faucet, filled both kegs, one got 3oz corn sugar and set aside, other got 30PSI, shaken, then into keg fridge to cool and carbonate. Both filled with my house ale... ran out of energy after unloading materials for the brew shed so I have 2 fermenters to wash tomorrow!

Back