What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the grain for Yoops IPA, broke Down three more pounds of hops, put together the hops and labeled them for tomorrow's brew day and pulled out all of my equipment. Early morning brew day here I come.

Brewed my first imperial stout. OG came in at 1.094. Was expecting 1.099. A few points low but everything went smooth. Also able to get a 4 gallon batch with the 3rd runnings. of something im calling a black mild. Hopped pretty generously with columbus centennial and northern brewer. OG on that one came in at 1.040. Excited to see how they came out.

Got about 2/3 of the way through cutting the top off the keggle build before homemade pizza night with the kids.
I'll be up at 4:00am to start a brisket and will kick on the grinder once it looks like the neighbors are up 😁

Kegged an ipa, moved 2 glass carboys (apfelwine and a hef) in my truck across town because I'm moving to a new house this weekend. That was interesting

I am searching for label ideas on grogtag. Signed for a st Patrick day race. Now need to make special brew and bottle labels for the event...

Bottled 5 gal of a two hearted clone and transferred an allagash tripel clone to secondary. Both are tasting great at this point.

image-106357168.jpg

Cut down the hop bines and covered the crowns in compost and mulch for the winter.

Whipped up a batch of IPA from an extract kit I got from winning at a recent competition

Today, I cleaned and sanitized a new corny keg, then racked a MO/EXP.1210 SMaSH batch, into said keg. Checked F.G.: 1.010, and cleaned out the glass carboy. Yesterday, I made a starter, for an upcoming brew day.

EDIT: The starter is super chunky, and the yeast, looks like lava lamp globs. WLP007, is awesomely flocculant.

Supported my local nano by buying a couple growlettes of beer, one for me and one for the wife. I also brought the brewer a couple bottles of my Gandhi-bot clone and a real Gandhi-bot so he can do a side by side and tell me what he thinks.

Started brewing a Premium Bitter. Found junk coming out of my kettle while heating the mash water. Threw in some oxyclean and did a complete equipment wash. Then brewed the bitter. Afterwards, thoroughly washed all equipment.

Now, drinking a Jai Alai IPA.

I bought a second burner, for frying turkeys this Thanksgiving. It just so happens that it can also be used to brew beer. Except that I can't brew beer until my brother moves out, because of his cat. In other words, I've spend my money on something completely useless.

Had friends over and cleaned out almost my entire stock of my Christmas Goose, bottled the Gold Dust IPA and gave it all away (Doh! There was supposed to be one 6-pack left for me but SWMBO was feeling generous and didn't realize it was the last one) brewed up the Porter and dry-hopped the Ferocious... and all the requisite cleaning of stuff.

Bottled 5 gallons of my best bitter and my old ale while downing a sixer of SNPA. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday. Party pigged half of the special bitter.

Took a gravity reading of my first batch of homebrew that has been in primary for about 5 days. It's the first time I took the lid off since I pitched and sealed it up. I was spraying star san on everything and being so careful about the process I felt like I might as well be defusing a bomb.

brandon91 said:
Took a gravity reading of my first batch of homebrew that has been in primary for about 5 days. It's the first time I took the lid off since I pitched and sealed it up. I was spraying star san on everything and being so careful about the process I felt like I might as well be defusing a bomb.

Welcome to the great hobby and passion of home brewing! Congrats on your first batch. Also glad to hear you are taking your sanitary practices seriously. If it were me I'd just let it hang out for a couple more weeks in primary before I even looked at it again. I do remember having the first batch anxiety and impatience as well but with all that said I still have to TRY and convince you letting the beer be for the next couple weeks is the best thing you can do for it. Check back in two weeks from today and your beer will no doubt be ready to bottle. Also that way you'll save some beer by not wasting it on so many gravity checks.

Hope the brew came out great and hope you stick with it. Oh yea... What did you brew? :D

Cheers

Dave

Welcome to the great hobby and passion of home brewing! Congrats on your first batch. Also glad to hear you are taking your sanitary practices seriously. If it were me I'd just let it hang out for a couple more weeks in primary before I even looked at it again. I do remember having the first batch anxiety and impatience as well but with all that said I still have to TRY and convince you letting the beer be for the next couple weeks is the best thing you can do for it. Check back in two weeks from today and your beer will no doubt be ready to bottle. Also that way you'll save some beer by not wasting it on so many gravity checks.

Hope the brew came out great and hope you stick with it. Oh yea... What did you brew? :D

Cheers

Dave

Hah, ya I was probably being a little excessive with my spray bottle of star san but it just felt right. Along with constantly monitoring it's temperature in the swamp cooler and stressing hoping it will be alright, I feel like I've just had my first born. And it's a milk stout kit I got for half off when I ordered my starter equipment :D. I'm already looking into building a mash tun for going all grain and browsing craigslist for cheap equipment all the time, is there a name for this disease? :drunk:

brandon91 said:
Hah, ya I was probably being a little excessive with my spray bottle of star san but it just felt right. Along with constantly monitoring it's temperature in the swamp cooler and stressing hoping it will be alright, I feel like I've just had my first born. And it's a milk stout kit I got for half off when I ordered my starter equipment :D. I'm already looking into building a mash tun for going all grain and browsing craigslist for cheap equipment all the time, is there a name for this disease? :drunk:

Not that I know of but I still have all the same symptoms as you. It's a great hobby. There are tons of links on here on how to build most of the equipment you'll need on the cheap. Keep researching and having fun. Good luck and enjoy that milk stout.

Absolutely! I used the saison recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Decided to go big, and brewed a 10-gallon batch of the specialty version. Split the 10-gallons into 2 fermentors, 5 gallons with saison, 5 gallons with Roesalare. Took the 5-gallons of non-sour, bottled half and split the other half onto cherries. If everything goes as planned, I will do the same with the Roesalare batch in 6-8 months, ending up with 4 variations.

slbradley01 said:
Cherry saison..??...sounds interesting, I can see the sour saison going really well with the sweet cherries. May try that in the spring. Recipe?

I put 7 bottles of my newest IPA in the fridge for next weekend. Wanna see how the carb & conditioning is after 3 weeks & a couple days. Can't wait to taste this one,it should be my best yet! :rockin: I also have a bucket's worth of new bottles to rinse out & toss on the bottle tree. Got some more wernesgruner pils bottles to add to rotation.

Finished some more sanding, routing, and more sanding on my 2 brew paddles, one is ready for some finishing Oil (trying to find butchers oil). Sampled my T&C's Sweet Amber Ale, refreshing, but needs another day or 2 to properly carb in the keg. Realized I'm going to have to brew my Biere de Boucher again soon, since I'm making it disappear too fast, def my new favorite beer.

I checked the temperature of my fermenters in the swamp cooler this morning. Added a frozen water bottle. Ten gallons of a Pale fermenting away from Saturdays brew. I will then enjoy one of my Ambers this evening when I get home.

I bought my next beer kit. An Oatmeal stout that some friends have been asking for. I have not been a stout fan in the past from the beers that I've tried, but I'm up for having my mind changed by a brew any day.

I put 7 of my Cougar Country IPA's in the fridge a couple hours ago for next weekend. Got some new bottles to rinse out,probably in the morning,since I have to sample how well the oak/bourbon is doing in my stout. One week tomorrow.

Dumped a few bottles of different brews that have become infected in the bottle. Not sure what the hell is going on but will be re-configuring my bottling days and over sanitizing from now on. Just glad these werent amazing beers. Still learning but this was a tough mistake

Fer sher,man. I feel that way about my latest batch of Maori IPA. All the grains,hops,etc for to different IPA's at once wasn't cheap. Still look good carbing/conditioning across from me. Still have hopes it won't be a dumper. We''l know in a couple weeks.
I started washing the "new" bottles a lil bit ago. I'm going to sample the Whiskely stout later with a hydrometer test too. I was gunna do it with the last one,but forgot. I'm curious as to any change in FG,just for the sake of knowledge.:mug:

Took my 2nd gravity reading of my RIS. 1.028. I dont want her to drop any more than a couple points from here. Go to sleep Yeast! 1.024-1.028 would be perfect.

With only 1 lb of roasted barley in my 23 lb grist ~4%, it is still shining through a little too much for me at this point. Was hoping for it to play more of a background role. If she dries out any more i can only imagine the roasted character being more apparent.

image-2871076855.jpg

Took my 2nd gravity reading of my RIS. 1.028. I dont want her to drop any more than a couple points from here. Go to sleep Yeast! 1.024-1.028 would be perfect.

With only 1 lb of roasted barley in my 23 lb grist ~4%, it is still shining through a little too much for me at this point. Was hoping for it to play more of a background role. If she dries out any more i can only imagine the roasted character being more apparent.

My Impy Stout stopped @ 1.011 US-05 is a beast. It was supposed to quit 20-26. Only a pound for background role? I used 1/4 lb. in mine also for background and it's in there nicely- 3 weeks in bottle so far.

I think I will see if they're coming along, I know it's still early, but it's in the name of beer.

Very long day today, Double Ipa all-grain brew day, not quite the brew day from hell, but certainly not heavenly either. Lessons were learned, like my tap water is just too warm to chill rapidly. I had to go buy ice, in the middle of chilling my wort. Oh well, I'm going to rack to the carboy soon, and forget about it in the ferm chamber for awhile. Gotta love the STC-1000.

Started sanitizing things to rack my oak aged stout to the bottling bucket & forgot the priming solution. Waitin for the water to boil now. Had forgotten to pay a bill yesterday while out voting,& had to put it off today to get my stout bottled after a week on oaked bourbon. Bills tomorrow.
**Fijnished bottling @ 3:17pm,got 54.5 bottles Dang 3/8" tubing from the lhbs is a bit oversize compared to home depot's. Dang thing sucked air & had to be pumped manually the whole time. Got less than an inch of course foam. Hope it'll be ok,'cause the whole thing mash to bottles went pretty well.

cleaned bottles and bottled 5 gallons of oatmeal stout.. still have 5 gallons to bottle of the oatmeal stout :(

Back