What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran into town in the skiff (no roads here, water access only) today to provision, part of today's haul was ingredients for 10 gallons of brew and a some beer to tide me over until I had more homebrew.

Countless times I have reminded guests aboard my boat to keep their hands and feet inside the boat when near the dock. And I am usually very conscious of this myself, but we had a crisis today.

The return trip from town was a bit rough, and when we tied up at the dock, I noticed a bit of yellowish liquid in the bilge -- OH **** THE BEER! I rushed forward, it was still a bit rough out, so.... I put my hand on the gunnel to steady myself (oops)....a wave caught the skiff and shoved it into the dock, but instead of the solid thunk of fiberglass against wood...I instead heard the gristly crunch of my finger!

Good news though, only a few cans were damaged.

Sorry, man - the pain one suffers for a homebrew :D... especially in your location!!! :mug:

Moved SWMBO's old fridge into her garage and installed a new one in her kitchen. The old empty fridge is now dedicated to my home brew bottles and future kegs. The first step in converting her garage into my man cave. THEN I will move out of my apartment and into her place...

Weighed grains and hops for brew day tomorrow. Depending on my timeline today I might move some washed yeast into smaller jars. I am running out of fridge space.

removed the labels off of some bottles. Moved most beer related stuff out of the SWMBO's lines of vision :)

Ordered some new heating elements from amazon for the stove yesterday. Can't wait to get'em installed to brew my 1st pm kit when they get here.

Botlled some stout,
Made a few gallons of Oatmeal (BIAB) stout and a few more gallons of extract nutty brown.
Also did a small batch of JAOM

Entered in my first BJCP competition today. Brewed an IIPA 14.87% ABV in February. Curious to see the results. Cheers

Bought a Vissani Wine Cooler so I can control my fermentation temps better. I don't think I'll need a temp controller, at the warmest setting its about 68*, coldest was 48*. I'll see how it goes once I have some beer in there. Has enough room for a 6 gallon better bottle with 3-piece airlock, a couple 6-packs on the hump, and a few bottles on the sides. The front glass has some frost on it. Since it's clear and I don't want light to get to the beer, going to get some insulation and cut it to fit the window.

Converted the White House homebrew recipes to all-grain and planned out my next few brews. Now I just need to find more room and money for fermentors to keep up with my "good" habits.

Revised a recipe to use a different yeast and substituted two ingredients to change the colour. Smacked a pack, planning the two brews I will make this week.

Took a picture of my Apricot Oat Cream Ale that I just poured

2012-09-02_16-50-58_228s.jpg

Kegged my amber ale, transferred my chipotle blonde to secondary with 4 more chipotle peppers, brewed an american pale ale that is a slight variation from my haus pale ale. Oh yeah, today was the break in of my homemade tier system, and new blichman burner. That burner is amazing! I saved probably 45 minutes in heating times.

So far this weekend (it's Sunday, but tomorrow's Labor Day!), I've harvested my Cascade, Chinook, Mt Hood and about half of my Magnum hops. Bottled three cases of beer (IPA, red ale, hefe), scrubbed down the inside of my my rekegerator (desperately needed), did a propane exchange (and got back a tank that was even older than the one I had, which is so old I can't get a legal refill), made two starters (freakin' boilover! I need a 4 liter Erlenmeyer!), researched DIY immersion chillers (want to build a 50' and use my current 25' as a pre-chiller), researched partigyle technique (and quickly realized there was a lot more to learn than I expected). Tomorrow I brew an RIS and (if things come together rather quickly) a "small" porter as well. Oh... I also looked longingly at some chest freezers.

I traded a few bottles of my Black Farmhouse IPA with my cousin for cases of empties. I later received the ultimate compliment that he would pay for this beer. In fact he specified he would pay $12 for a bomber, which was funny as we had a discussion about the rising price of bombers and how varied the quality/price can be. Of course everyone seems to love the brew that uses a seasonal yeast strain and nelson sauvin hops.

kscarrington said:
Picked up two 3-gallon plastic carboys to split my porter into a vanilla porter and a bourbon vanilla porter.

I had a bottle of my vanilla bourbon stout tonight. If one is good. Two must be better.

whitehause said:
Brewed up a new batch of Zombie dust......man I love that stuff:rockin:

I brewed a batch of it as well. Slightly worried because it had a lot of sediment and star san. I'm hoping the yeasties clean it all up though.

Checked on the pale ale, chipotle blonde and blonde ales fermenting away. Tasted the amber that I kegged yesterday. Its very good. Gotta love force carbonation. Perfect carbonation after 18 hours

Brewed up a dubbel specifically for the end of year holidays. After fermentation, will rack onto 8-10 pounds of cherries and let it sit until December before I keg it.

I brewed a batch of it as well. Slightly worried because it had a lot of sediment and star san. I'm hoping the yeasties clean it all up though.

No worries....Star San(unless you had a 1/2 gallon) isn't a problem, and I don't worry about trub the way I used to. I try not to get a ton in, but I don't bother with filters. Hell, when I first started, I just dumped the whole thing in the fermenter. Still made some fine beer!:rockin:

brewed up a hefe, and added the final lemon juice to my skeeter pee (not exactly beer). also convinced the wife the 10 cf freezer i recently bought off cl is going to be a keezer instead of an ice cream storage freezer.

Went to the grocery store and bought 5 lbs of pumpkin, then went to the LHBS and bought all the ingredients for my Pumpkin Ale this weekend.

Also picked up a 1000mL Erlenmeyer flask.

Was told by the LHBS owner that a local brewery (Fig Mountain) came out with a fantastic new black IPA.

Convinced SWMBO to swing by the brewery/tap room on the way home for a pint. It was amazing. :tank:

Tried my Irish Red & Bourbon IPA for the first time. Came out awesome. :rockin:

Well, I kegged my True Blue Belgian Ale, tasted it, of course. I think I am going to let it sit for a week or so. I think I may have kegged it a little early. I then did an inventory and found I have enough ingredients for a Wirbier, cleaned the fermenter, I found the leak on my CO2 line and fixed it, drank the last of my Amber Beer. I am going to miss that keg. Cleaned the keg. What a great beer day!

Received more bottes to clean up and reuse. Should be getting, via ups, 4 kits, a hydrometer and some other toys today. As always reading the boards and hopefully gaining knowledge

I transferred my blonde onto 4 lbs of frozen blueberries then harvested and washed the yeast. My first time harvesting and washing yeast and it was surprisingly easy. Got enough for 3 batches.

ForumRunner_20120904_190149.jpg

I first came home and cleaned these

ForumRunner_20120904_180920.jpg Then dry hopped my Punk IPA clone

ForumRunner_20120904_180920.jpg

ForumRunner_20120904_181022.jpg After that cleaned this

ForumRunner_20120904_181148.jpg last night I brewed this,

ForumRunner_20120904_181238.jpg a Hop Rod Rye clone and tomorrow bottling these 2,

ForumRunner_20120904_181336.jpg The one on the left is a Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza clone and on the right is a blue berry sour. Been a busy 48 hours to say the least.

Getting stuff ready to brew a cascade pale ale while everyone else sleeps. Then, off to bed for me, so I can go to work tomorrow evening.

Just finnished making two starters for tomorrow's brew day. A bit last minute, so I borrowed my buddy's stir plate so I could bump the count to two. I'll be brewing 10 gal of Sweet Stout: 5gal w/ Brittish Yeast and 5gal w/ Dry English Ale yeast. Huzzah!

Brewed my 10gal batch of sweet stout. Had a couple mishaps, including one of my 2 yeast starters shaking off the stir plate and spilling WLP005 on the floor... This is why I have emergency dry yeast packets. Thank goodness I wasn't brewing with some sort of specialty yeast...

Used a hydrometer for the first time. Tasted the beer. Cleaned out some bottles

Does running two batches of grain through the mill yesterday count?

If not, I brewed a Red Cream Ale and an American Pale Ale today. Then drank more of the apricot ale I have stored.

Back