What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday I stopped into my local restaurant supply store and picked up a bus tub so I can capture spillage when I fill using a beer gun that I was gifted. (Hoping I wonā€™t have too much spillage to drink when Iā€™m done ;) ) Washed a small batch of bottles, and checked on a beer thatā€™s sat for at least a year because I used too much flavoring extract, itā€™s just right now.

... and checked on a beer thatā€™s sat for at least a year because I used too much flavoring extract, itā€™s just right now.
Good for you. I'm definitely in the 'don't dump your beer' camp. At least try to fix it. Age it. Blend it. Make an attempt. I think too many people are willing to call something a dumper too quickly. Or it could simply be that my standards are lower than others. In any case I'm glad your patience paid off.

Kegged a California Common. Got exactly 5 gal in the keg.
627A6C2B-B348-4B65-9CFC-40C8D886FBDF.jpeg

Went to rummage around in my beer boxes in the garage..boring day..and to my absolute horror....HORROR I tell you !! Discovered my Anvil 4 gallon bucket fermenter laying on the floor with the plastic base seriously cracked in several places, little bits and pieces missing, little spider cracks running through it. I had wife's family members over for my Birthday Sat and they a look ways bring their Pit dog with them. They take him for potty breaks outside through the garage...I know it was my teen nephew, had to be !!! Then the head kicker...I get in touch with Anvil looking to buy a replacement. They don't carry replacements. Ok can I contact the manufacturer...they won't give out their manufacturer or suppliers...What the What ?!? I'm not trying to be your competition I just want a base ! Sorry can't do it. Ok..if you get a defective return, Say for a seriously dented bucket, can you keep me in mind ?? Sure, they will keep me in mind but they never get returns...šŸ˜¶...šŸ˜¶šŸ˜¶. Now I love my Anvil bucket, thus the desperation to find a replacement base...but what kind of chuckwagon horse hockey are they trying to feed me ?!? NEVER get a return ??? I guess I can hold the base together with some freaking duck tape but that is ugly and pitiful. Very disappointed in Anvil customer service. Anvil in distress !!! I think because it was so cold in the garage, the plastic was more brittle and that caused the spider vein cracking...still...Anvil in distress !!!

Went to rummage around in my beer boxes in the garage..boring day..and to my absolute horror....HORROR I tell you !! Discovered my Anvil 4 gallon bucket fermenter laying on the floor with the plastic base seriously cracked in several places, little bits and pieces missing, little spider cracks running through it. I had wife's family members over for my Birthday Sat and they a look ways bring their Pit dog with them. They take him for potty breaks outside through the garage...I know it was my teen nephew, had to be !!! Then the head kicker...I get in touch with Anvil looking to buy a replacement. They don't carry replacements. Ok can I contact the manufacturer...they won't give out their manufacturer or suppliers...What the What ?!? I'm not trying to be your competition I just want a base ! Sorry can't do it. Ok..if you get a defective return, Say for a seriously dented bucket, can you keep me in mind ?? Sure, they will keep me in mind but they never get returns...šŸ˜¶...šŸ˜¶šŸ˜¶. Now I love my Anvil bucket, thus the desperation to find a replacement base...but what kind of chuckwagon horse hockey are they trying to feed me ?!? NEVER get a return ??? I guess I can hold the base together with some freaking duck tape but that is ugly and pitiful. Very disappointed in Anvil customer service. Anvil in distress !!! I think because it was so cold in the garage, the plastic was more brittle and that caused the spider vein cracking...still...Anvil in distress !!!
Oh no! Accidents happens, and you should have been told about it instead of discovering the problem. This isnā€™t quite the right size, but I think it would accommodate the cone and give some lift and room to work perhaps. Advanced Drainage Systems 8 in. Singlewall External Snap Coupler 0812AA - The Home Depot

Getting back into homebrewing after a few years off - tried to restart during covid lock-downs in NZ but I only got one batch done...

What I did for homebrew on the weekend = kegged that batch of porter that has been quietly waiting in the fermenter the last 1.5 years! :oops:

Getting back into homebrewing after a few years off - tried to restart during covid lock-downs in NZ but I only got one batch done...

What I did for homebrew on the weekend = kegged that batch of porter that has been quietly waiting in the fermenter the last 1.5 years! :oops:
It's now aged perfectly! Haha

I had a beer make it to the second round of the Nationals about 10 years ago. It was a Barleywine. It was about 3 years old in a keg. The beer was pretty good, it was nice and round from the age with the malt, bitterness, and alcohol really melding together. The score sheets said it needed more ā€œfresh hop characterā€. Whatever. It didnā€™t do anything in the 2nd Round.

Hereā€™s what I did for beer today! I finished replacing the beer lines on my kegerator. Back in December I started, but I only had the new line on hand to do two of the four lines. Today I did the other two and now I have four clean lines. Time to keg up all the beers I have in fermenters and fill the kegerator. Thatā€™s the project for the weekend.

Attachments

• 9BC105D0-75F3-4ECA-9CC3-11DFD77CA73E.jpeg
    9BC105D0-75F3-4ECA-9CC3-11DFD77CA73E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D0676C3B-5F22-48F0-8AE5-45004172AEDF.jpeg
    D0676C3B-5F22-48F0-8AE5-45004172AEDF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 95B38850-FF78-4241-BF61-221F219AD140.jpeg
    95B38850-FF78-4241-BF61-221F219AD140.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Entered nationals.
edit: Also dropped off entries for Homebrew Ally.
I sent one entry into Homebrew Alley. An oatmeal stout, which was the only real "to style" beer I had on at the time.

Still debating nationals. I didn't really plan for it, and it's coming up on crunch time to brew something in order to have it ready for the first round shipping.

I sent one entry into Homebrew Alley. An oatmeal stout, which was the only real "to style" beer I had on at the time.

Still debating nationals. I didn't really plan for it, and it's coming up on crunch time to brew something in order to have it ready for the first round shipping.
I hear you. The past two years I entered Nationals but didnā€™t get the time to brew, barring any calamities this year Iā€™ll be ready. Good luck at Homebrew Ally!

I hear you. The past two years I entered Nationals but didnā€™t get the time to brew, barring any calamities this year Iā€™ll be ready. Good luck at Homebrew Ally!
Thanks!
I planned it out the last 2 years well in advance. Really thought my schwarzbier had at least an outside shot at advancing last year, but nope. That, plus the cost of entry/shipping, made me a little gun-shy this year, and here we are.

Sampling the Locked-Down Porter this weekend - not too bad, definitely drinkable (need to clean my beer mugs too!)

Also giving the old plate chiller a nice long hot caustic soak - going to be pumping 2% caustic through it for an hour then switch it over to pump the other way for another hour. Already a whole lot of crud is coming out, and this is after 3x hour long caustic soaks and multiple flashings both ways!

Attachments

• 20230129_170653~2.jpg
    20230129_170653~2.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230129_170719.jpg
    20230129_170719.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Bottled a Scottish export 80 that I brewed in December . White labs 028 Edinburgh Ale yeast took forever and only got 64% attenuation. Oh well tasted good going into the bottles . Speaking of bottles de-labeled another two cases of bottles.
Also bottled a Persimmon wine I made.

Cold crashing my Munich Dunkel. First time using my glycol chiller to ferment and cold crash instead of using my trusty old upright freezer. I have the glycol chiller for quite awhile now but just never made the time to set it up, insulate and run the lines, and then actually use it. I can now ferment more than one beer at a time with this beast!
John

I had to take my car for an inspection, then brew day commenced with the grist I milled last night. All chilled and yeast pitched. Lately Iā€™ve been doing ā€œno chillā€ just letting the heat dissipate over night, but this is for a competition and after getting it started in an ice bath it didnā€™t take very long to chill outside, now that it feels like winter again. I have a chiller, but the fitting doesnā€™t fit my kitchen faucet. One brew down and at least a couple more in the works soon.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back