What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started three one-gallon sampler batches of cider. One will be dry, one back-sweetened, and one sweetened and cranberry flavored.

This is round two of samplers. The winner will be brewed as a five gallon batch for my sister-in-law's wedding. They want to use it as their toasting drink.

I got a batch brewed yesterday. I don't know how many more I'll get in before it gets too cold to brew outside. I'm quite pleased with how smoothly everything went. I've built an all-electric HERMS system, expecting it to simplify and improve my brewing. But in dialing in the system and getting the hang of its peccadillos, it hasn't gone smoothly and the quality of the beer has suffered. But this time... it was a stress-free session. So I have high hopes for this tangerine rind infused IPA.

Checked on the carbonation of the honey Brown. Only been carbonating for 2 days at 20 psi but I guess I should have turned it down to 10 after 1 day. Micro stone really carbed it up. A little too much foam even with the perlick flow control. Darn tasty though.
I've run into that issue myself using the carbonation lids. My reasoning was that I wasn't hearing the co2 through the keg, so I pulled the PRV way too many times; have wound up with way overcarbonated beer. For the last two I think I may have hit the sweet spot; I don't raise the PSI at all, just have them on serving pressure (in my kegerator about 7-8psi). Pull the PRV 3 times over 24 hours, then let it sit another 6-8 hours before tapping. Could use a bit more carbonation, but after a few days it gets to where I want it just leaving it on serving pressure (and serving it, I'm impatient that way).

I've run into that issue myself using the carbonation lids. My reasoning was that I wasn't hearing the co2 through the keg, so I pulled the PRV way too many times; have wound up with way overcarbonated beer. For the last two I think I may have hit the sweet spot; I don't raise the PSI at all, just have them on serving pressure (in my kegerator about 7-8psi). Pull the PRV 3 times over 24 hours, then let it sit another 6-8 hours before tapping. Could use a bit more carbonation, but after a few days it gets to where I want it just leaving it on serving pressure (and serving it, I'm impatient that way).
I just turned the all the way off, bled the air off, turned the pressure down to zero, bled the keg , turned the CO2 back on at 8 psi and an hour or so later it was pouring perfectly

Well, for the first time in about 7weeks I took a hydro sample of a beer. It’s been tooo long lol. Always a great feeling when the beer (NEIPA) you brewed already tastes solid pre-dry hop as well.
CF0E7270-4254-4559-90A1-FE718AF73E47.jpeg

made a recipe for a dark lager, received my Porter ingredients, and checked the status of my fermenting hard cider, which is looking VERY active, more than my previous in September.

Attachments

• 9B19C32C-5555-42C7-80AA-B06ADCBDD6C3.jpeg
    9B19C32C-5555-42C7-80AA-B06ADCBDD6C3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 6AD6616E-E220-483E-99C9-68D4B16B6D74.jpeg
    6AD6616E-E220-483E-99C9-68D4B16B6D74.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F11A03D8-D9B1-408E-AE56-3E230DE81FA2.jpeg
    F11A03D8-D9B1-408E-AE56-3E230DE81FA2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
"Assisted" Ed Siegel, head brewer at Somers Point Brewing Co, Somers Point NJ in the mash / boil of a 160-gal American Barleywine. And by "assist" I mean to say :

1). Scooped 5 lbs of rice hulls into the mash.
2). Weighed out 2.8 lbs of Magnum and dumped same into the boil.
3). Tried to stay out of Ed's way and not,
4). Pester him with too many senseless questions.

Seriously though, it was super-cool to see a pro at work : brewing the barleywine, moving another (Cinnabun Stout) from fermenter to bright tank, all while fielding questions from the peanut gallery. SoPo has some great beers, and they all match the personality of their brewer : low-key, detailed, totally onpoint. I highly recommend a visit to anyone that's in South Jersey looking for a great local beer.

Was supposed to be my Christmas beer brew day... supposed to be. Gathered all the equipment and soon as I started filling the mash tun with rinse water, leaking big time. Tightened the bulk head, leaking, took off, rewrapped some pipe tape, leaking even more !!! Uggggg!! Dug through the spare parts box, went through 4 different kinds of o rings and washers before I got it fixed..but but but wait it gets worse!! Tightened it so hard cracked the rimmed washer that the o ring sits in inside the wall ...😵‍💫 👀. The brew God's are still laughing!!! So broke out the loctite plastic repair glue, letting it dry till tomorrow. End of brew day son. 3 hours up in smoke. Just to be safe ordered a new bulkhead fitting but won't be here till Monday. Had an extra hour before picking up the wife so high tailed it over to my new LHBS and got the ingredients for my experimental sugar cookie Christmas Ale. So all was not lost....at least in my peasant thinking 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20221202_174551728.jpg
    IMG_20221202_174551728.jpg
Taking your Sugar Cookie brew ? If you do I bet it's a hit !
C49DD416-C06C-4F52-9AF7-EAD8306FAA4A.jpeg
E2AB9068-EFE9-494D-BFEE-D81C24AF7F56.jpeg
38FF583C-3CA4-4D37-B59F-1791D649E5E5.jpeg

Yes these 3. Labels are home made. The Santa and the Big Kahuna are pictures of my best friend who passed away 10 years ago. We called him the big Kahuna and he dressed up and initiated people into our camping group. He was also the local Santa at stores and for Company Christmas parties. He was a lot of fun! The Sugar Cookie turned out great! Tastes, smells and looks good. It’s just fun stuff great group of brewers. We meet outside at a fire pit at our home brewery.

Tapped the Citra/Sabro IPA that I kegged yesterday; and must say, glad I went back to Imperial Loki for this beer. Huge pineapple and some coconut, no grassiness, just a tasty juicy beer. Did some more research on grain mills, but that purchase is now on hold since oldest (12) dog has to go to the vet on Monday; she's been coughing a bit and her belly is a bit distended (water retention more than likely), which points to a possible heart issue. She's fine other than the cough, plays with the younger dog like a young feist; then they both take long naps. Tonight get to open the 2nd can of the Costco Beer Advent Calendar; last night was a German lagerbier that was quite tasty.

View attachment 806951View attachment 806952View attachment 806953
Yes these 3. Labels are home made. The Santa and the Big Kahuna are pictures of my best friend who passed away 10 years ago. We called him the big Kahuna and he dressed up and initiated people into our camping group. He was also the local Santa at stores and for Company Christmas parties. He was a lot of fun! The Sugar Cookie turned out great! Tastes, smells and looks good. It’s just fun stuff great group of brewers. We meet outside at a fire pit at our home brewery.
All those look fantastic!

Tapped the Citra/Sabro IPA that I kegged yesterday; and must say, glad I went back to Imperial Loki for this beer. Huge pineapple and some coconut, no grassiness, just a tasty juicy beer. Did some more research on grain mills, but that purchase is now on hold since oldest (12) dog has to go to the vet on Monday; she's been coughing a bit and her belly is a bit distended (water retention more than likely), which points to a possible heart issue. She's fine other than the cough, plays with the younger dog like a young feist; then they both take long naps. Tonight get to open the 2nd can of the Costco Beer Advent Calendar; last night was a German lagerbier that was quite tasty.
I'm sooooo jealous!!!! I keep asking my wife to get me one of those every year !!! She always says I have too many beers already

I hope things go as well as can be expected with the vet visit.

Made 3 spur of the moment extract brews. My pipeline is dry. Death Valley dry. Sahara desert dry. Empty. With these in the fermenters I can think about what's next.

Attachments

• 20221204_181819.jpg
    20221204_181819.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221204_181900.jpg
    20221204_181900.jpg
  • 20221204_181846.jpg
    20221204_181846.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221204_181839.jpg
    20221204_181839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Appears my BGS is going to finishing far higher in SG than I had planned. Conducting a forced ferment with a sample on the stir plate as I type this. Should be at 1.007, currently 1.017...might toss it into a glass carboy and forget about it until the first of the year, let the diastaticus do it's thing to get it the last ten or so points. Besides, I want to get my hefeweizen started. :p

Back