What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8CD81AB6-AABF-4926-94FB-6469A2557818.jpeg

Took a FG reading for an IPA. 1.010.

Should have a nice 6.6% IPA on tap next weekend 😎

Over the last week or so: I've kicked the sahti, cleaned the keg and tapline it was on, kegged and tapped the roggenbier, shipped out the last of my porter for a comp (it already got silver in one), prepped and brewed up a "Kaimiskas" (Lithuanian farmhouse ale) using Omega Jovaru for the first time. Also taste-tested the marzen and it's lagering very nicely!

Kegged my Kölsch last week, cleaned the fermenting kegs, cleaned a keg line in the kegerator for the Kölsch, while sanitizing extra serving kegs and emptied & cleaned a serving keg of an old IPA that needed to go.

Tonight I kegged my hard lemonade & decided to toss some apple juice (4 gallons) on the yeast cake & fruit from the hard lemonade. Figured it’s something easy & fun to try.

Have not ordered anything in awhile so since Northern Brewer and Midwest supplies keep tempting me with irresistible 20% off emails, I went ahead and ordered a 1.4 gallon PET siphonless Big Mouth Bubbler fermenter so I can start doing mad fermentatinalist taste experiments with wood and spices without ruining a 3 or 5 gallon batch and needed a new sparge arm jet aerator so why not ? $4 for the aerator which on Amazon is $8 and the fermenter was $22 and reduced to $18 with the 20% code. I'm already thinking maybe a spiced Xmas ale or stout with whiskey soaked pecan wood experiment ?? 🍺🍻

Yesterday I brewed a dark mild and gave Wyeast 1469 another shot. This yeast is half of the starter I used to ferment the strong bitter that over attenuated so also sort of a test to see if the high attenuation was the previous recipe or the yeast. Recipe was the Machine House Dark mild grain bill but only with a single bitter hop addition and no late hop additions. No molasses in the recipe but the wort had a molasses like smell, it does have a modest amount of crystal and chocolate malt.

Today I made the rare exception and sniffed the airlock of the dark mild. Did not get molasses but a dark chocolate covered cherry type thing. Going to be interested to see if the esters make it into the finished beer.

I meant the stainless -4 AN coupler nut.... Don't play coy with me.... !
Believe it or not, that came with the injector thing. Had a largish (would say 12-14 gauge) needle on it, I cut that off so I could get the tubing on it. I'm not much into hot meat injections (insert many wink-wink-saynamores here) (also I'm a girl) (NTTAWWT) and it came with another needle that I'm hanging on to for any time I DO feel the need for a hot meat injection (insert more wink-wink-saynamores here).

1663207402972.png

Good luck on getting anything quickly from Midwest or Northern Brewer. I ordered beer supplies from them. Thank was two weeks ago. No hint on when the supplies are shipping. I got frustrated so I order some of it from More Beer just to keep me going. More Beer got it to me in 3 days.

Good luck on getting anything quickly from Midwest or Northern Brewer. I ordered beer supplies from them. Thank was two weeks ago. No hint on when the supplies are shipping. I got frustrated so I order some of it from More Beer just to keep me going. More Beer got it to me in 3 days.
My 1st time ordering from Midwest. I've used Northern Brewers at least 10 years never a problem. To each his own. Besides with the way things are in this age of COVID, trucking driver and worker shortages everywhere, any order arriving on time is basically a crap shoot and luck !!

Put some cacao nibs in dark rum for a stout I’m brewing this weekend (thanks @day_trippr ) … debating if I should use some toasted oak too. Well, I could have said wood but, I’m all out of winks. :)
Toasted Oak instead of wood..😂! So, you're an aristocrat! I'm not offended, half the kings and queens in history started out in my barbarian class !!

I have used Midwest & Northern for over 15 years. I have seen some alarming changes & not just with the onset of COVID. I have not dumped them. I can’t wait 2-3 weeks for a shipment or even a response without using an alternate. My point here is that they need to re-evaluate and reinstate their customer service to what it once was. You are correct, & I agree, “To each his own”.

I have used Midwest & Northern for over 15 years. I have seen some alarming changes & not just with the onset of COVID. I have not dumped them. I can’t wait 2-3 weeks for a shipment or even a response without using an alternate. My point here is that they need to re-evaluate and reinstate their customer service to what it once was. You are correct, & I agree, “To each his own”.
I'll see how this transaction goes. Like I said my 1st time with Midwestern. Have not ordered anything from Northern in about 2 years so maybe they have changed. I hope not , they have been my go to company for my stainless gear and an occasional recipe kit for about the same amount of time as you. And I love the 20% off coupons they send to my email often ! Be a crying shame. I've saved hundreds of dollars over the years using those coupons

Today got to use my new injector setup on my freshly kegged blonde. Should have added the gelatin to the empty keg prior to running the beer in, but as I usually do, got ahead of myself and started the beer running into the keg before I remembered the gelatin. Worked just fine, and since I pressure transfer into the sanitized, chilled, and co2-purged keg, really cut down to the minimum o2 ingress. Later tonight will mill grain for another batch of WF lager, on some proven 34/70 slurry. Going to be a good weekend.

Swung by my most excellent LHBS after work. Had received this email earlier in the day.

The White Labs yeast order has arrived on-time, cold and in A-1 condition. The White Labs yeast and other items have been placed in our dedicated yeast cooler. The yeast is ready for pick up.

A season of WLP-037 shall commence just as soon as Autumn arrives for good.

Cleaned out my Fermzilla for my next beer. Currently deciding between a Dubbel or a Doppelbock. I think I've got the ingredients for both but not sure which I'll brew. Done really good Dubbels before but never been quite able to nail bocks, other than Weizenbock. On the other hand, I don't really want two of my kegs tied up conditioning for 3+ months.

Brewed up a batch of the House WF lager this morning; as so rarely happens, nothing went wrong with the day and all equipment is clean and put away for next brewday. Fermenter from yesterday's Blond kegging, not so much...didn't need to save the yeast (new packet of dry Lutra arrived yesterday) but that fermenter is staring at me with angry eyes-WHY AM I STILL DIRTY YOU LAZY MF. Fortunately it's hidden behind my chair where I can't see it, and has my spunding valve on it so it won't explode. Will get to it sometime today. And should be able to tap aforesaid Blond in about an hour thanks to force carbing. Shut up fermonster, I will get to you eventually.

Replaced the o-rings in a keg and kegged the Cream Ale I brewed a couple of weeks ago. Then I rearranged everything in the kegerator to make room for the keg. I have a 3 tap kegerator which has room for a 4th keg to carb/condition as long as I keep the jars of yeast slurry in some semblance of order.

Brewed a Belgian Dubbel today. Had to fudge some of my grain choices, so a little bit of chocolate malt, aromatic and biscuit finding their way in instead of Melanoidin, Carafe and CaraMunich.

On a whim I also swapped up my hopping regime and dropped 50g of Opus/CF182 into the whirlpool. I've really liked the gentle orange/floral flavour profile this has brought in other beers I've done and feel it might play well with the dried fruit/raisins/nuttiness I'm hoping to get from the rest of the grain bill.

A pack each of Mangrove Jack Belgian Abbey and Belgian Tripel and into the fermenter.

I also added another 300g of clear candi syrup to my Brett Belgian pale. This has gone in a month from smelling faintly of Marmite to intensely tropical which is quite surprising. It was pretty dry when it went in the keg (1.006) so I'm hoping the extra sugar will give the Brett something to get to work on over the next couple if months.

Got a notice from UPS, my order is arriving tomorrow 24th. So 9 days in all, not a bad deal. I'm used to an average of 10-14 days for most out of state orders so not bad.

Been busy with work so not much done for beer lately. This morning started the gradual crash of last week's WF lager batch; taking it down 10° at a time over several hours, because reasons. That will sit for another week/few days/whenever until kegging, as the pipeline is fairly decent. Tomorrow will purge the kegerator of a couple of non-moving kegs (peach hefeweizen from June that isn't great, and pineapple hard seltzer that I just don't want to finish) in order to make room. Also going to try an experiment; making another batch of hard seltzer, but with no flavoring at all. Plan is to buy several of those Mio flavor things so I can have whatever flavor I want, with no sugar added.

Didn't do much for beer today but we damn sure attacked our keg of Marzen this afternoon, which has come into its own after a good couple weeks of lagering. Also sampled our ESB that's sitting in the conical and it's pretty tits, even without carbonation, so we expect to be absolutely crushing that one soon. Spent a little time strategizing on a Westvleteran quad clone we want to make as a Christmas beer and then possibly iterate on each successive year. But **** talking whilst day-drinking homebrew yields only a certain amount of output versus the number of ideas presented, so we'll see what we land on.

Not FOR beer, but the reason I started drinking about 8am today. Bathroom faucet has had a slow leak on the hot side, so husband bought a new faucet for me to install. Get all set, tools at the ready, and the hot water will not shut off completely. Valve is toast. No worries, just take it off and go get a new one! FALSE. Old pipe broke off unevenly (rusted completely through) and now I have a VERY short pipe to attach the new valve to. Got it on, with just a slow drip that I will eventually stop with my soldering iron if I can find it. Oh, and I bought the wrong valves for the under-sink hoses we have. So shortly will hie me back to My Home Sucks Depot, get a replacement hose, and say the hell with the new faucet until we can get our usual plumber out to replace the damn pipes.

Started a new Cream Ale with Pilsner, a splash of honey malt, bit o corn, a little rice, Azacca hops and WLP080.
Thought I'd break in my new *3* gal fermenter that's actually only 1.5 gal, so bonus, get to make another batch.
OH my nummies! This is going to be good!
Just bottled this, but pre-carb it's right on target for what I was going for.

Attachments

• Cream Ale #3.jpg
    Cream Ale #3.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back