What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Undershot my gravity on a blonde by 7 points! So I’m turning to my old friend, light DME to save the day.

EA1A17D8-FA97-44AE-B4E8-BEBD6F5BCAA3.jpeg

Also, kegged an Oktoberfest. ‘Tis the season, you know…

Dan

Undershot my gravity on a blonde by 7 points! So I’m turning to my old friend, light DME to save the day.

View attachment 739924

Also, kegged an Oktoberfest. ‘Tis the season, you know…

Dan

Aaaand, I scorched it! Dammit! Have to use the old DME to try again that’s 9 months old. Ughhhhhh

Did another faux parti-gyle IPA and APA 6days back, the IPA I fermented with wlp007 and the APA I fermented with the dry voss yeast. The APA was fermented at 95F and was at terminal gravity in 36hr.

Today I dry hopped the IPA and kegged the APA. I dont think I was getting orange from the APA but it sure did smell good, it was hopped with Comet and Cascade hops.

Also brewed a half size batch of Dortmunder Export today. Sort of treating this one as a big starter and will use the yeast cake to brew a couple 5gal batches.

Finished the tightening, polishing, passivation ECT..From plain stainless pot to pretty decent brew kettle with weldless ball valve, weldless thermometer, etched volume markings and personalized moniker.. Yeah, I'm breaking my arm patting my back 😂😂😂. I've never done something like this. And no, that's not my living room , it's my garage Man Cave.View attachment 739767View attachment 739768
You need one of these…:D
4C40C258-2377-4CA7-BF18-34AEC5B04B90.gif

OT:
Today I prepared the second step up for a yeast starter I need for a NEIPA. I started the first step Thursday night intended for a Saturday brew day. I noticed however that the package of yeast I was starting was already over three months old (just purchased online a week and a half earlier) and wouldn’t be big enough for my recipe. The second step is already plugging away and I’ll just have to cold crash it and decant and pitch the new slurry when I brew this Saturday.

You need one of these…:D
View attachment 739983
OT:
Today I prepared the second step up for a yeast starter I need for a NEIPA. I started the first step Thursday night intended for a Saturday brew day. I noticed however that the package of yeast I was starting was already over three months old (just purchased online a week and a half earlier) and wouldn’t be big enough for my recipe. The second step is already plugging away and I’ll just have to cold crash it and decant and pitch the new slurry when I brew this Saturday.
😂😂😂😂😂😂 yes I could use that!! I'm still feeling the power! Lord Vader might promote me and say Do not fail me..Brew Commander

I scrubbed a carboy, yesterday I scrubbed my bottles, tomorrow I'll scrub a brew kettle I forgot to clean. Then more bottles as I drink for the rest of the week. Then my equipment to remove any dust or dog hair that accumulated before my brew day.

Why do I brew again?

Came home from work thinking, nothing to do in the brewery today, just sit and relax. Come to find the IPA I brewed on Saturday (and accidentally dumped lager yeast in instead of ale) has dropped its krausen like a rock, and needs dry hopping stat. Planning to keg it this weekend to have room for another WF lager batch, so I'd better get cracking on weighing out hops. Since I have 2 fresh packets of lager yeast I'm going the commando route, always love my IPA's done that way.

And I patted my back too soon...forgot to attach the Bazooka screen. A minor overlook but now the darn ball valve will probably leak until 20 adjustments again 😒
I knew forgetting to put the Bazooka screen on was gonna lead to trouble!! Fought for 2 hours trying to stop the blasted thing from leaking. Went through about 12 combinations of washers and couplings. Finally had to take the ball valve off my 5 year old kettle. Just switched them around and WALLA! Both tight and no leaks plus the 5 year old valve has a 1/2 inch valve vs 1/4 so it worked out better.
20210826_142709.jpg
20210826_142725.jpg

Attachments

• 20210826_142709.jpg
    20210826_142709.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
Checked the Galaxy SMaSHer gravity, and the Loki finished up at 1.011, at 6.43% ABV. The color is very pale and it tastes like a flat grapefruit Schofferhoffer.

I'ma let it sit a week and bottle next Friday after it clears a bit. I have tingles of anticipation over this batch!

I scrubbed a carboy, yesterday I scrubbed my bottles, tomorrow I'll scrub a brew kettle I forgot to clean. Then more bottles as I drink for the rest of the week. Then my equipment to remove any dust or dog hair that accumulated before my brew day.

Why do I brew again?
To keep your scrubbing muscles toned.

Brewed 2 gallons of Amarillo blonde with Voss kveik. Haven't been happy with my pales and IPAs with Voss, but once upon a time I made a citrusy blonde ale with it that was quite nice. Hoping to get an easy drinking, not too hoppy, session beer.
20210827_114818.jpg

I knew forgetting to put the Bazooka screen on was gonna lead to trouble!! Fought for 2 hours trying to stop the blasted thing from leaking. Went through about 12 combinations of washers and couplings. Finally had to take the ball valve off my 5 year old kettle. Just switched them around and WALLA! Both tight and no leaks plus the 5 year old valve has a 1/2 inch valve vs 1/4 so it worked out better. View attachment 740351View attachment 740354
Your etching is awesome.

Brewed up another batch of WF lager to replace the one that disappeared too quickly, that was intended for a competition in TWO WEEKS. Yes, I'm going to enter a 2-week-old lager in a major competition. The last one was done at 8 days, and cleared out in another 3 days and tasted as good as any craft lager I've ever had. Some may scoff, that's NOT a lager, but it's on pure lager yeast and will have at least a week of lagering before bottling. I won a silver medal with one 2 years ago that was just a week older than this one. Also milled the grain for a Sabro/Citra IPA to be brewed tomorrow morning, that's going to the same competition, that will be fermented on proven kveik I've had in the fridge for a while; then going on a day trip to Leavenworth to hit up Icicle Brewing and see what the wine shops have on offer. Good weekend.

Dry-hopped my all-Citra APA. It turned out fantastic last time, so I'm ready for some more. This is my first time dry-hopping just past peak krausen; in the past, I've always dry-hopped after fermentation is complete. I figured I'd try this, based on Scott Janish's recommendation to maybe cut down on a bit of oxidation.

I knew forgetting to put the Bazooka screen on was gonna lead to trouble!! Fought for 2 hours trying to stop the blasted thing from leaking. Went through about 12 combinations of washers and couplings. Finally had to take the ball valve off my 5 year old kettle. Just switched them around and WALLA! Both tight and no leaks plus the 5 year old valve has a 1/2 inch valve vs 1/4 so it worked out better. View attachment 740351View attachment 740354
So when are we going to finally see this epic creation in action????

So a few weeks ago I gave hard seltzer another try. Made some homemade blackberry syrup to flavor it. After carbonating it had an absolutely horrible sulfur smell, and to a lesser extent flavor, that completely obliterated the blackberries. Very disappointed. But, being the lazy brewer I am, decided to let it ride a week or two and see what happens. Tasted it again during brewday yesterday, after a week of letting it sit and then giving it some more carbonation. Smell is still there, but much reduced, and the flavor is actually quite good if you can get past the smell. I'm going to purge off the headspace (it's overcarbed anyway, could use the help) and see if that drives off more of the smell. In the meantime I've got a very nice light refreshing smelly drink to have other than beer. And it's pretty.

20210830_172339[1].jpg

I would say please delete here but I know where that will go.

Just did some more reading, and I pushed this way too fast. Next one, and I hope I can get one done this week, I'll let go for at least three weeks; with three separate additions of nutrient. I really want this to work, not only for something other than beer to drink, but something for my girlfriends at work who aren't terribly fond of beer but want to try something I've made.

Latest posts

Back