What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed yesterday
20191108_154425.jpg

Took the blow-off tube off my primary of 5.25 gallons Caribou Slobber and installed the air-lock a little over 28 hours after yeast pitch. Used Danstar Windsor dry, rehydrated in 4 oz. water at 86F for 15 minutes.

Fermentation really took off 5 hours after pitching and started to overflow from the blow-off tube on the 6.5 Gallon Big Mouth Bubbler after 5 more hours.

Then watched the air-lock bubble away until I got thirsty. [emoji481]

About what temp does keep your fermentation? I have thought about this as an alternative to using a wet t-shirt/towel as an evaporative cooler.
Mid 60s usually which is fine for most yeast. I just throw a 20lb bag of ice in there and it keeps cool for a week!

Got some comet growing now !
2nd iteration of Northern Brewer Blonde turned out SO much better than the first! Really digging on using Comet for bittering, it's a lot more subtle, and the lighter late additions of NB give it a nice kick. Been crashing a couple days, almost perfectly clear and will get kegged today. Six days grain to keg? Hell yes! It will get some more conditioning time in the keg if I can keep my hands off it (fat chance).
20191107_064412.jpeg

I pitched two yeasts ( WY1280 & 1318) into my share of a 50g Bach of English Brown we brewed yesterday.
Transferred a Session Blonde to secondary for lefty hopping and transferred 18g of a Wookey Jack clone from a whiskey barrel to carboys for DH before packaging.
Cleaned up all my equipment.
I’m pooped!

Home from work to ogle the two beers I brewed this weekend in the ferment fridge; both are going crazy busy in there, had enough headspace to use airlocks in both so no blowoff blorping to listen to. The Amber I brewed today turned out great - wort coming out of the BK tasted like Frosted Flakes, and came in at a nice 1.064. And I think I've figured out my crappy efficiency issue; I mash in a bag, and the bag I use is a bit long for the mash tun. Today I shortened it up until none was hanging over the false bottom, and grabbed 6 more points at preboil. One of those "duh" fixes that for some reason I never thought of. First brew in a long time that I've done a 60 minute boil instead of a 90, and still managed to get the right gravity. If I'd done a 90 would have wound up with rocket fuel. Gonna be kicking myself over this one for a while.

Sipping on some of the NB blonde kegged yesterday, tastes better with every sip. Sitting on a streak of at least 8 batches that turned out great, hope to keep it going.

Aardwolf is great! That my kegerator lol. The top part
Whoa! I frequently travel international, and often get stuck in Miami overnight. When I do, it's Aardwolf's for sure!

And that sure as hell looks like a meal cart on the right side.

Bottled my Mocktoberfest ale. Used 1009, harvested a jar of it as well. Sampled very clean and smooth, but hoping a bit more flavor pops with carbonation. Bottle lagering this one so hopefully 3 weeks in the bottle, and another 3-4 weeks in the fridge clears it up nicely.
Also washed a case of bottles since I had everything set up and cleaners out.

I cleaned the fermenter in prep for upcoming brewday. I always rinse out the ring around the collar and yeast/trub residue but I don’t always soak it in cleaner right away. Today was that day.

Did my version of temperature control starting this past Friday. I took advantage of the 54°F-56°F basement for two days, then the 60°F furnace/hot water tank room for two days and now upstairs in the 70°F office for the next 17 days.
It's 3 packs of T-58 and I wanted to see the effects of keeping it in the lower range at the beginning. If there is a noticeable and significant improvement in the 11% Belgian from this, I will think about temp control that doesn't require a tour of my home.

I inquisitively glanced at my precious fermenter full of Caribou Slobber at the end of day 6 since the yeast pitch. It sat there ever so quietly between the now occasional burps of gas while awaiting its future.

If only it knew what I was going to do with it later.... [emoji481]

I inquisitively glanced at my precious fermenter full of Caribou Slobber at the end of day 6 since the yeast pitch. It sat there ever so quietly between the now occasional burps of gas while awaiting its future.

If only it knew what I was going to do with it later.... [emoji481]

What you do with your slobber is entirely up to you. But remember, nearby thought police may be offended!

Picked up a #55 bag of 2-row from the local health food store. They have a few supplies but the key is they’re a BSG retailer so they can order anything in the catalog.
That's one thing I love about my LHBS. Local pickup of anything any distributor carries, no extra shipping.

Looks like a big day for grain purchases today, picked up a 55# bag of great western 2Row.

cleaned fermentors and dumped a bunch of jars of old yeast.

yesterday:
Kegged a 5gal batch of Czech pilsner, a 2gal batch of bitters fermented with WLP022 and a 1gal batch of bitters fermented with WY3655.

Cleaned keg kicked last night, cleaned draught line, did all that pesky non beer stuff, replaced ball valve on lauter tun, tapped fresh keg. Ahh, now that's more like it.

Back