What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my hop order from HopsDirect; now have to decide what to brew with the Comet & Northern Brewer hops I ordered. Also got 2 pounds of 2017 Crystal pellets, which I love to use as late additions in my lagers. Would love some ideas for the Comet and NB hops....
NB makes an nice old school blonde ale, half your IBUs at 60min then the rest as late additions. Can do the same thing with comet.

I have made a few IPAs that used the combination of comet, cashmere and citra.

I got a almost free kit of this beer once, had to pay postage, I don't see the recipe listed on their site but you can find it on AHA recipe section. It uses centennial Amarillo comet and nugget for bittering. The original recipe does not use much hops but the combination works and makes a good beer if you add some dry hops.
https://fhsteinbart.com/product/oregon-super-dank-super-awesome-beer-kit/

IMG_6949.JPG

IMG_6950.JPG

IMG_6951.JPG

My lone Chinook plant produced 5.9oz of dried cones. I just weighed and packaged them today. I think I’ll try to make my American Barleywine later this season and use My homegrown Chinook hops for it.

I overshot my Old Ale OG (1.020 instead of 1.096). It's on day four in the fermenter with 2 S-O4s. With my error, I am looking at, possibly, a 13% ABV. The S-04 is still chugging along but I thought there was no way I wouldn't be left with a sweet mess and then bottling would be useless.
So, what I did was get a WLP099 to finish it off.

NB makes an nice old school blonde ale, half your IBUs at 60min then the rest as late additions. Can do the same thing with comet.

I have made a few IPAs that used the combination of comet, cashmere and citra.

I got a almost free kit of this beer once, had to pay postage, I don't see the recipe listed on their site but you can find it on AHA recipe section. It uses centennial Amarillo comet and nugget for bittering. The original recipe does not use much hops but the combination works and makes a good beer if you add some dry hops.
https://fhsteinbart.com/product/oregon-super-dank-super-awesome-beer-kit/
I've been thinking about brewing a blonde lately, will probably do that with just straight 2 row and the NB hops. Was thinking late additions of 1oz at 10, 5, and flameout. Sound solid to you? Thanks for the idea!

Yesterday I had delivered a clear beer system and a 2 1/2 gallon keg. I had made an IPA and pitched 6 lbs of pureed mango into my fermentor after a couple days of fermentation. The resulting beer sample tasted great but the closed transfer stalled due to the viscosity of the beer. I had to do an open transfer (oh, the horror!). Then after force carbing and hooking it up to my kegerator I couldn't get it to flow...cleaned the dip tube but saw no clog. So, ordered the clear beer thing, and a small keg to flush my beer line. Hooked it all up and it worked beautifully. No flow issues and delicious mango IPA. It looked like the poppet was the tight spot. Lesson learned for next time I add fruit puree to the fermentor commando...

I've been thinking about brewing a blonde lately, will probably do that with just straight 2 row and the NB hops. Was thinking late additions of 1oz at 10, 5, and flameout. Sound solid to you? Thanks for the idea!
That seems reasonable without knowing the AA. I used to do 20 or 15 then a 5min addition but have been pushing things into 10min and 5min and possible a flameout at below 170F. I use either base malt(plain 2row not pale ale) and 2lb of Vienna or base malt and half a pound of abbey/aromatic for my blondes, just adds a bit more maltiness and color.

That seems reasonable without knowing the AA. I used to do 20 or 15 then a 5min addition but have been pushing things into 10min and 5min and possible a flameout at below 170F. I use either base malt(plain 2row not pale ale) and 2lb of Vienna or base malt and half a pound of abbey/aromatic for my blondes, just adds a bit more maltiness and color.
No time to buy adjuncts so will just run with two-row. I use the Great Western, it's super cheap at my LHBS ($42.99 for a 55lb bag) and it throws great color and flavor. AA on the hops is 8%.

No time to buy adjuncts so will just run with two-row. I use the Great Western, it's super cheap at my LHBS ($42.99 for a 55lb bag) and it throws great color and flavor. AA on the hops is 8%.
Looks like that 8%AA put things toward the upper end of the bitterness for a blonde but should be OK.

Never heard Vienna and abbey referred to as an adjuncts, but I get what you are saying. I alternate between the GW 2row, pale ale and California select, all make a good beer but I think they can benefit from a little some extra.

I’m curious to know where you got the 10 gallon corny? I can’t find any my way.
Local homebrew shop had come across about six of them. They were only $100 each (used)! You can find them online but they're ridiculously expensive at around $300 I think.

What I did for beer today.... cleaned a whole lot of bottles that needed some extra TLC. 2 hours later I can bottle my pale ale that's done fermenting. Will probably spend the afternoon reading up on kegging setups. I'd really like to not do that again!
I moved to kegging about 6 months ago after doing 1liter swing top bottles for years.

Kegging is certainly easier in my opinion. Not sure how much you drink but I go thru a keg with session beers in 7-10 days. So, I've come to realize a good set up for me in 2 kegs. I also have gotten into spunding (carbonate in the keg naturally a few points above FG or add in 1/2 cup of sugar). I think spunding has a better taste and it saves on the CO2.

Got stuff ready to brew my classic american porter recipe tomorrow. Got to work around some stuff, but shouldn't be an issue.

canned 4gal of starter wort.

Made a starter of wlp075 Hansen ale blend for an upcoming brew.

Cold crashing a best bitters made with wlp026 premium bitters, normally do a 1day crash might give this one a couple day crash to get as much yeast out as possible.

Working on a 10 gal recipe, going to try to get an IPA and a pale ale out of one boil by diluting the wort down for the pale and less or different dry hops.

Brewed up the NB Blonde this morning, yeast took off running 5 hours after pitching. Only hitch in the day was the usual cleaning I do post-brew didn't get done because lunch, nap, and birthday dinner for my dad...so justifying it by doing a huge oxyclean soak of keggle & hoses tomorrow. And just might scrub the outside of the keggle with it too; inside gets super bright and pretty and I want the outside to be clean too.

Added the cherries to the Belgian dubbel. Had to take a pint of beer out first because the fruit wouldn't all fit. Can't wait to drink it after work tonight!
1568563985043~2.jpeg

Got all my house chores done so now spending some time doing some cleaning in the brewery. Got the keggle scrubbed out after yesterday's brewday, right now it's about 1/2 full of hot oxyclean solution that is circulating through the hoses, pump and chiller. Letting it go about 20 minutes, then will drain and rinse twice with clean water. Something I've needed to do for a while but just didn't have the gumption to get going on it. Also pricing out some improvements for the kegerator; I've only got two taps, want to add one but need a new manifold, tap, and shank. Might just be able to do it next paycheck. Until then ordered some new beer line to replace one of the kegerator lines and the picnic tap line; that one is too short and pours a lot of foam. Good day in my little brewery.

Visited my not so local HBS to pound the desk about what gives with my order I've placed on the 3rd and already sent a query email which remains unanswered. Turns out the confuser had it marked as pickup while I clearly made it delivered and paid for the shipping too. Got my grains milled while waiting and ended up picking a basket full of stuff to restock my empty shelves. No apology but did at least get a few euros off the total. Might be taking my business elsewhere from now as this was strike two with fudged orders from that place, it just happens to carry the largest selection in the country.

So, what I did was get a WLP099 to finish it off.
Update: the WLPO99 is working, not fast but working. I'm actually okay if it falls a little short. It's the type of yeast (diastaticus) that I have to be careful with because it does what it wants (understatement). I'm going to be cautious and bottle after an extra week whereas I wouldn't do that with everything else that I use.

yesterday:
brewed a 10gal batch and added some top up water to half to get a APA and IPA from the same boil. Pitched yeast late in the day.
I adjust my mill last batch and all seemed OK for a 3gal batch then but this time with 3x the grain depth it was getting stuck, had to add rice hulls and stir for 20min to get it free flowing. Looks like I need to back off the mill spacing a bit.

today:
woke up to both halves bubbling happily. Watched bubbles a few time.

Kegged my wlp026 best bitter I had crashing for a couple days.

Ordered more rice hull and other stuff.

Thinking about which of the three remaining vault yeast to try next, either wlp022 or wlp033, also have wlp038 but will do that last as it a POF+ and STA positive too.

Latest posts

Back