What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I got more bottles picked up and cleaned.

Can never have too many bottles.......

Keezer collar was drilled, adjusted (shims), and silicon'd to the keezer this evening. Looking forward to getting the lid back on the keezer tomorrow and my beer back in the cold.

bottled my American Pale ale. Also visited the DIY BrewHouse in Columbia, SC to watch my brother and the owner attempt an AG clone of a belgian abbey ale. good times...

Added dry hops and dumped a quart of my mosaic DIPA. Gravity sample was as close to grapefruit juice as I've ever had in a beer. Cut the dry hop in half because it's already pretty spot on.

Added dry hops and dumped a quart of my mosaic DIPA. Gravity sample was as close to grapefruit juice as I've ever had in a beer. Cut the dry hop in half because it's already pretty spot on.

Whatn the heck is the gravity of GRAPEFRUIT juice?:tank:

Was yesterday, but I finished clean-up from Friday night's brew, put a sack of maris otter into storage buckets, delabeled and cleaned a bucket of bottles, soaked another bucket of bottles and ramped up the temp a bit on the stout that's fermenting.

Got a sunburn while helping my dad build his hop trellis. In true redneck rig fashon he was planning on making the frame out of PVC pipe. I talked him into using 4X4's instead. Cost about the same in parts too. We dug the holes for the posts, scabbed some 8 foot 4X4s on some 12 foot ones and buried them in the ground. I am estimating 15 feet of height on the trellis. All that is left is to get the top bars hung and the lines for the hops to climb strung. This thing is going to be massive.

Finally got some inspiration to start writing again. With 3 books on the table, I got rather burned out. You just never know where inspiration will come from. I got a couple buckets worth of bottles to clean &/or de-label. Gotta get the kottbusser in the fridge too.

Drinking it! Finally finished up my exams for this semester, off to drinking my beer tonight and enjoying the next 5 months of freedom

Kicked another keg.. Looking forward to a grain pickup this weekend and the week after I have vacation time planned.. 4 empty taps to fill!

Last night I cleaned 3 kegs, bottled/kegged my Biere de Boucher, polished 4 HB Dunkels, and 1 750mL of my Pale Ale...

Wrote some more of my 2nd home brewing book. That inspired me to write version four of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lager. Hopefully this one'll get me closer to the lagers of old?...

Not today, but a few days ago I picked up a used mini-fridge on the cheap. I take the stairs up to my 24th floor apartment every day and a guy on the 4th had an old mini-fridge stored in the stairwell, so I bought it off him. It's so liberating to move from keeping 4-6 beers on the door of our regular fridge at all times and often drinking them before the carb has properly gone into solution, to chilling a case or two at a time. It's even got a freezer compartment that holds all my hops and a shelf on the door for my yeast and adjuncts. I'm loving it, and even my wife's glad we bought it!

I tested the gravity of my three fermenting beers. It appeared fermentation had stalled out early on all of them and I started to worry. Surprisingly, they all tasted dry... very little residual sugars. I was about to place an order for more yeast until it hit me like an epiphany. I forgot to use a gravity calculator with my refractometer when alcohol is present.

DOH! All is good, FG has been reached and the fermenters have begun cold crashing. :mug:

Yesterday I did the final assembly of the new taptower. Today I'm getting a little help from my machine shop guy to install it.

20150418_163437_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163456_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163521_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163704_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150418_163732_Flicker Ln.jpg

Kegged and bottled 6.5 gallons of Juniskeet Smoked Wheat and prepped everything for the 3 day move out of the house for fumigation..argh.

Stepped up the starter for a SMASH I hope to do this weekend and started the cold crash for the last batch - Yooper's Hoppy American Amber. Now I just gotta make room in the fridge.

Went through my extra grains stash, tweaked an Irish red PM for this Saturday, National Homebrewers Day & wrote some more of a couple of my books. The 2nd HB book is nearly half done. Gotta get some more kottbusser in the fridge to lager a couple weeks as well as clean another ton of bottles.

Dry hopped my Amarillo IPA with 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Simcoe. Also took a gravity reading, maybe a few points high, and tasted the sample which was delicious!

Ran another beer tasting for my work peeps - but this time is was on request of my boss :)

Five beers. And I put out a sampling of six grains, each with a label card. I even put out a warm cup of water and opened a dry yeast pack into iit for the full ambrosial experience.

Had about 15 people drift through during the hour. Lot's of good chatter and questions. People really like to pick their fav and tell you all about it.

Not a drop left at the end.

Been on somewhat of a brewing hiatus over the last year. Last March, my brew-buddy/bro-in-law, whose garage houses all our equipment) had premie-twins. We've brewed 2 5 gal batches (same day simultaneously), over the last year. Depressing. He and my sister also just sold their house and are building. They're staying wit my parents for about 6 months while that happens, and now all the equipment is tucked away in storage. I also just had my 2nd son one month ago, so brewing-time will be harder to come by for a while.

Anyways - I've focused my brewing energy on getting some new toys that will stay at my house. So what have I done for beer? Last week I got a 16.7 cu ft freezer less vertical fridge. Already full of beer! This will be my fermentation chamber. (I also, 2 weeks ago made sure that my bro-in-law grab a few essentials before going into storage, including Johnson controls temp controller, thermometer/, hydrometer, a bottling bucket and a better bottle. The double propane jet burner and 10.5 gal pots couldn't make it...)

I just ordered a UEi DT304 Quad Input Digital Logging Thermometer. Been wanting to log temps for a while during fermentation. This had 4 inputs, so I can easily log 2 fermenters simultaneously, the fridge ambient, and the 4th for the garage ambient or the chest freezer next to the fridge.

About to order an extract & steeping grains kit (for the first time in 3 years, since I won't be doing AG until my stuff gets out of storage). However, I now have temp controlled fermentation, do good starters, and picked up an oxygen wand (2.0 kit from Midwest supplies). I never had any of those things under control back when I was first doing extracts, so I'm curious to see how the same recipe I (first extract recipe I ever did) comes out now that I'm "learned" in the ways of brewing. Back to extract basics, but with some fancier toys and knowledge! ;).

Also, reading the forum nearly every day is doing something for beer (not to mention drinking beer), right?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Today I kegged 5 gallons of oatmeal stout and 5 gallons of ESB. At this point all 5 of my kegs are full, and all 4 of my primary fermenters are empty. :) :(

Latest posts

Back