What hops to buy in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
I have some cascade, willamette and hallatauer right now in the freezer, but i need some more hops for IPAs. any other style i might brew will be covered by the hallatauer or willamette, so really looking for a few varieties to make some good super hop heavey unbalanced IPAs this summer.

i don't want a ton of hops, because i will be placing another order this fall when they have more varieties, so i just need maybe 2 or 3 varieties to last til then.

definitely getting some columbus, but need advice on what else to get. maybe another batch of cascade, but i want to try some different hop flavors as well

i agree with passedpawn, but i might add columbus, i tend to use that more than the chinook i have for APA and IPA, and centennial is a must IMHO. but they're both great hops.

I think Magnum is a very useful bittering hop...you can use the Magnum to get your baseline bitterness up with a single 60 min addition, then pack other hops into the last 10 min of the boil for awesome hopbursted flavor/aroma!

I think Magnum is a very useful bittering hop...you can use the Magnum to get your baseline bitterness up with a single 60 min addition, then pack other hops into the last 10 min of the boil for awesome hopbursted flavor/aroma!

That's great advice. In fact, it's EXACTLY what I did yesterday (magnum at 60 minutes, amarillo at 10 and 1).

Magnum for general bittering.

If you like citrucy ipas, some Centennial could be great.

The third one I'd buy in bulk woud be East Kent Golding. It just fits so well in an astonishing amount of styles.

I stock up on a bittering hop, which is usually warrior, as I hate using something aromatic as a bittering hop, it just feels like a waste. And then I load up on the non proprietary hops such as:

Cascade
Chinook
Centennial
Colombus

And then I try to stock up on Simcoe and Amarillo when and if I can. I don't keep other styles on hand much, and tend to buy those as I go.

That's great advice. In fact, it's EXACTLY what I did yesterday (magnum at 60 minutes, amarillo at 10 and 1).

PRECISELY. I agree that using something that has great flavor or aroma that just goes away in the vapors is just a bummer. I use a lot of magnum early on for clean bitterness, even in IIPA's that almost require some resiny edgyness in the bitterness. Willamette and cascade, hallertauer are all solid picks, centennial and chinook are good grabs as well.

But some diamonds in the rough are Palisade, Goldings, Tettnanger. These go with so many different styles and can be used with base beers and with some other beers that live on the style edges.

YMMV, but i like buying bulk hops, in almost every kinds of hops, and vacuum seal and freeze them. Even if i only use half within a year i still break even on price. I buy all my equipment at my LHBS, but ingredients are a bit much IMO where i'm at.

Nugget is one of my go-to's for IPA and hoppy pale ales, and I dont think has been mentioned yet.

Agree with others on Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Magnum, Amarillo, and Simcoe all being great in American style pales.

I buy allmost all my hops in bulk, the ones I use the most are, Cascade, Columbus, Nugget, Summit, Chinook, and Amarillo. If you don't want a whole pound at a time check out farmhousebrewingsupply.com they sell in 4oz packs at good prices.

sorry i guess i wasn't very specific with what i was asking.

what varieties CURRENTLY IN STOCK from www.hopsdirect.com would you buy right now for IPAs.

(caps lock not meant to be aggressive, just specifying:drunk:)

I buy allmost all my hops in bulk, the ones I use the most are, Cascade, Columbus, Nugget, Summit, Chinook, and Amarillo. If you don't want a whole pound at a time check out farmhousebrewingsupply.com they sell in 4oz packs at good prices.

wow thanks for recommending that site, just checked and they have a good variety for pretty decent prices for 4 oz packs. if the shipping is reasonable i'll probably just order some from them and wait til the fall to stock up. hopsdirect is great price wise, but their selection is frequently lacking

Back