What hops do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't grown my own hops, but from my reading in anticipation of perhaps planting some, it seems that in our part of the country, Cascades grow more prolifically than many varities. Others with direct experience may correct me :)

Your best bet is to talk to a local micro brewer. He will know what grows well and what doesn't in your neck of the woods. Cascade grows very well here in north america. Might also want to check with a local nursery or two. They are obviously the subject matter experts on the soil conditions in your region. freshops.com lists different types of hops, what beer there used in, growing characteristics, etc.

Hope that helps!

Cascade and Fuggle grow just about anywhere. I've never found a nursery that knew beans about growing stuff, but you might get luck. Definitely do not buy your hops at a nursery, though.

roger that! I was thinking about squeezing in some fuggle somewhere in my yard; I already have cascade and hallentauer.

Back