What have you made from "The Purple Book"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomNom

Reaction score
So I got this idea from another thread where the idea was mentioned...

What have you made from the purple book (Winemaker's Recipe Book)?? I have the the strawberry wine fermenting right now. I am thinking of trying some of the others and wanted to get some feedback on what was good before I try it.

winemaker_recipe_book.jpg

I've made the Jelly wine, or whatever they call it in the book, and it turned out fine. I've also used the recipes as a foundation for some of my own creations by looking at suggested acid, pectic enzyme, and nutrient additions. I've used this book a lot, especially in the first couple of years I started this hobby.

I have made the red tomato wine and its really good. I made the rhubarb wine and that is good, but did form some crystals, which I am told might be avoided if I had cold crashed it.

I have made the red tomato wine and its really good. I made the rhubarb wine and that is good, but did form some crystals, which I am told might be avoided if I had cold crashed it.

Tomato wine sounds really interesting, can you give some more details about it?

I've made quite a few of them. I've mixed many of the recipes with other recipes (like those from Jack Keller's site) so I'm not sure which are from the book or which are not. I know I've done the rhubarb wine from that book, probably blackberry, dandelion, and fresh (unknown) grapes. The tomato wine was very similar, but I used Jack Keller's recipe.

The Red Tomato wine is #100 in the book. It leaves tons of sediment, so plan on making a bit extra to make up for the loss. It is a bright yellow wine when done. Nice body, and while I've just started ageing mine, it is very good already.
I like it so much I am making alot this year.

The Red Tomato wine is #100 in the book. It leaves tons of sediment, so plan on making a bit extra to make up for the loss. It is a bright yellow wine when done. Nice body, and while I've just started ageing mine, it is very good already.
I like it so much I am making alot this year.

Mine came out a light golden color!

So far I have made the apple wine from juice. Let this one sit for a while. Also at the time I didn't have any carboys, so it oxidized some. Also started a white concord and pineapple. Both juices from "Welsh's 100% Juice" concentrates. Holy sediment batman, I would recommend reconstituting the pineapple juice and running it thru a stack of wet coffe filter. If I make this again I will stop it at 1.050, because at 993 it loses quite a bit of fruitiness. Hopefully after 6 months it will come around again.

Back