What have you jury-rigged in your brewery that works better than something you could buy ready-made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah long thread title. I like tinkering with things. I've built computers, do my own (within reason) car repairs, and like building things. I've built simple stands for my pumps, and I'm planning on making a brewjacket of sorts for my mash tun to help hold the heat in, from a water-heater jacket. Might require sewing which I also enjoy. And not beer related, but just repurposed the LED headlights my husband didn't like in his car to work in mine (older SUV) until I can get new ones in a few days, since one went out and it's DARK.

So I got to thinking...what has anyone else macgyvered in their brewery that you just can't do without on brewday? Might give us all some ideas as well.

Yeah long thread title. I like tinkering with things. I've built computers, do my own (within reason) car repairs, and like building things. I've built simple stands for my pumps, and I'm planning on making a brewjacket of sorts for my mash tun to help hold the heat in, from a water-heater jacket. Might require sewing which I also enjoy. And not beer related, but just repurposed the LED headlights my husband didn't like in his car to work in mine (older SUV) until I can get new ones in a few days, since one went out and it's DARK.

So I got to thinking...what has anyone else macgyvered in their brewery that you just can't do without on brewday? Might give us all some ideas as well.
I shoved a hose leftover from a water softener install through the spigot of an old ice chest. Put a mesh sleeve from a Goodwill purchased toilet hose on the inside and a LHBS nylon valve on the outside. Boom! Instant $3 Mash tun.

Tons of stuff. I'm the same way. I enjoy that part just as much as the recipe development and brewing. Below are just a few of the things I've tinkered with for brewing.

Super glued magnets toward the top of my starter flasks to catch the stir bar when I pitch yeast.

Made my own whirlpool arm and hop spider

Modified Fermonster lids for closed tranfers and cold crash suck back

Made a pump and chiller cart out of a cutting board

Made my own tap handles

Made a keg/carboy/keg line cleaner with CIP ball

Made a wind guard for my burner

Added LED lights to my kegerator that can be turned on even when the temp controller has the fridge powered off plus a bunch of other things on the kegerator, including controller with indicator lights and switch for fan/light control

Non brewing related the list is endless. Current project is making my own countertops for my kitchen.

Last edited:
Here's my latest:

IMG_0552.JPG

And a closeup:

IMG_0553.JPG

I was looking for a way to add things to the fermenter with zero oxygen exposure. Basically, it's a 3" Butterfly valve that sits directly on top of the chronical. On top of the valve is a 3" TC Tee, with a gas in post on the side and the normal blowoff/prv fitting on top. The short blowoff tube goes to a quick disconnect and then to a ball valve attached to the underside of the shelf above the fermenter so I can completely close everything off. From the ball valve, I go to another quick disconnect, which I then run to the liquid out of a purged keg that I'll eventually rack the beer to.

During fermentation, the big butterfly valve is open and fermentation gasses go out the blowoff, into the keg and then out the gas post of the keg to a pitcher of sanitizer. This fully (or as close as possible) purges my keg for closed transfer later. When fermentation is over, I remove the keg from the loop.

If I want to add anything to the fermenter, I:
1. Close the butterfly valve and the ball valve.
2. Hook up co2 at about 1-2 psi to the gas post on the side.
3. Have my addition ready and remove the top.
4. While the top is off, the positive pressure of co2 should keep the mixing of gasses inside the chamber, which is already all co2 from the fermentation, to a minimum.
5. Add whatever it is, quickly close the top.
6. Purge the chamber multiple times with the attached co2, using the prv on top to vent.
7. Open the butterfly valve and it drops in.
8. Make sure there's a little positive pressure in the fermenter before I open the ball valve so I don't suck back from the sanitizer.

I've used it to dry hop, add gelatin, etc. Can also use it to add some positive co2 pressure when cold crashing. Works awesome.

Dan

Last edited:
Built my own brewstand:
20120527-barney_960x720.png-nggid0257-ngg0dyn-320x240x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.png

Made a bottom-drain mashtun:
diyinsulatedtun004_720x960.png-nggid0240-ngg0dyn-320x240x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.png

A WiFi Temp Controller,

A DIY QuickCarb:
HomeMadeQuickCarb_600x800.png

A new bottom-drain mashtun:
30GallonMashTun1.png

A removable corney keg thermowell:
finished2.png

and put tri-clamp ferrules on all of my pots and fermenters, among other projects.

I love to tinker.

not sure if qualifies, but i've started harvesting pure CO2 during active fementation while putting some unused kegs to work:

View media item 69903

I've used it to dry hop, add gelatin, etc. Can also use it to add some positive co2 pressure when cold crashing. Works awesome.

Dan, I have a similar setup on my chronical, but without the "T" - just a plain 3" spool that I can connect above the valve, then the gas post attachment with a PRV. For dryhopping, I close the butterfly valve on the lid, attach the spool, insert the hops, attached the gas post, purge the spool with CO2 while opening the PRV, and then open the valve to drop the hops. HOWEVER - my issue is with the chilling coils inside the fermenter - a good amount of hops get caught on the coils. Have you had this issue? I'm considering bending the coil so that it is not centered inside the fermenter.

not sure if qualifies, but i've started harvesting pure CO2 during active fementation while putting some unused kegs to work:

View media item 69903

Dan, I have a similar setup on my chronical, but without the "T" - just a plain 3" spool that I can connect above the valve, then the gas post attachment with a PRV. For dryhopping, I close the butterfly valve on the lid, attach the spool, insert the hops, attached the gas post, purge the spool with CO2 while opening the PRV, and then open the valve to drop the hops. HOWEVER - my issue is with the chilling coils inside the fermenter - a good amount of hops get caught on the coils. Have you had this issue? I'm considering bending the coil so that it is not centered inside the fermenter.

If the hop pellets are fairly intact, it works great, if they're crushed or powdery, a little gets stuck on top the coil if the beer level is beneath that. But that was pretty much the same even when I could see where I was dumping them, just due to the 3" opening and where the coil is mounted.

Tons of stuff. I'm the same way. I enjoy that part just as much as the recipe development and brewing. Below are just a few of the things I've tinkered with for brewing.

Super glued magnets toward the top of my starter flasks to catch the stir bar when I pitch yeast.

Made my own whirlpool arm and hop spider

Modified Fermonster lids for closed tranfers and cold crash suck back

Made a pump and chiller cart out of a cutting board

Made my own tap handles

Made a keg/carboy/keg line cleaner with CIP ball

Made a wind guard for my burner

Added LED lights to my kegerator that can be turned on even when the temp controller has the fridge powered off plus a bunch of other things on the kegerator, including controller with indicator lights and switch for fan/light control

Non brewing related the list is endless. Current project is making my own countertops for my kitchen.

What did you use for the metal ring on that hop spider? Looks great!_

I shoved a hose leftover from a water softener install through the spigot of an old ice chest. Put a mesh sleeve from a Goodwill purchased toilet hose on the inside and a LHBS nylon valve on the outside. Boom! Instant $3 Mash tun.
Heres a pic of the outside of the jury rigged MLT. Sometimes less is more.
tapatalk_1544907027677.jpeg

What did you use for the metal ring on that hop spider? Looks great!_

It's a stainless steek sink drain I bought from a flea market for $1. I did cut the little cross out in the bottom so the pellets would go into the bag easier.

I am really digging on Jtk78's rolling pump & chiller cart, that's on my bucket list now.

I really do like it. I drilled a hole in one end and it will easily hang up in my equipment storage area

Back