What have I created? (Hefewasn't)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosephJarclay12

Reaction score
So I attempted to brew a hefeweizen yesterday. A big time error (too embarrassing to say) caused me to have both low pre-boil grav and low volume. I thought I would improvise by adding more water to bring my total boil volume up to 8 gallons and 3.3 lbs of pils LME I had sitting around from before I started all-grain. My thought was to add a bunch of water to offset the LME addition and end up with 5 gal in the carboy and put the remaining gallon+ in some 1gal jugs. All the above worked out,except my color is wayyyyy off. its now an Amber color.

I dont know what to call this beer other then Hefewasn't
Its color is way off, and it now contains less then 50% wheat due to the LME

Orig. grain bill

8.7 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 5.0 %
5 lbs 15.4 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 55.0 %
4 lbs 5.4 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 40.0 %

Yeast = wlp380

Haha your logic is flawless. I was thinking more along the lines of the BJCP styles just incase it turns out good and I want to submit it for a comp.

It could fall under dunkelweizen and if it's very malty, sweet even a weizenbock. Check BJCP cat 15 German Wheat and Rye Beer.

Honestly, it will still probably fall under 15a because you didn't have any Munich malt to add more malt complexity to fall in 15b/15c.

Back