What happens if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodymarauder

Reaction score
you pitch your yeast when its still cold, is it going to screw up the fermentation? or will it just take longer to start fermenting?

Depends on how cold is cold. 50's and below, the yeast will probably be anywhere from sluggish and lazy to completely dormant. It won't harm the yeast, but will definitely cause a noticeable lag time and may give other intruders/nasties time to establish themselves if present.

As a side note, it is usually preferred to pitch the yeast a little cooler than the temp you plan to ferment at. So again, it depends on how much colder you are talking about.

Pitching at a lower temp will make the beer come out cleaner tasting, but I wouldn't attempt pitching real low without a yeast starter.

It may as everyone said make the yeast take longer to start...you can always wrap a blanket around it or do some other thing to raise the temp to rouse them into action....

Just remember fermetnation may take up to 72 hours to begin anyway...and go by your hydrometer NOT your airlock...

:mug:

Is it just me or does anyone else think he may have taken his yeast straight out of the fridge and pitched on 80* wort?

Is it just me or does anyone else think he may have taken his yeast straight out of the fridge and pitched on 80* wort?

For some reason I thought he was worried that he cooled his wort too much, and was pitching into cold wort...

Either way there will prolly be some lag time....80 wouldn't kill the yeast, but it might shock the heck out of them....

Interestingly enough, I did this yesterday. I brewed a batch of Porter that I plan to rack into secondary and let it sit on some Vanilla beans, and also do a 1 gallon Raspberry Vanilla Porter experiment... anyway. I pitched the yeast that I had just pulled out of the fridge after sticking the packet in my armpit (lol) to warm them up a bit. The yeast couldn't have been anywhere near 70*, probably more like in the 50's. This morning, there was a 2" thick layer of Krausen already. Definitely not even a 12 hour lag. Safale -04

Interestingly enough, I did this yesterday. I brewed a batch of Porter that I plan to rack into secondary and let it sit on some Vanilla beans, and also do a 1 gallon Raspberry Vanilla Porter experiment... anyway. I pitched the yeast that I had just pulled out of the fridge after sticking the packet in my armpit (lol) to warm them up a bit. The yeast couldn't have been anywhere near 70*, probably more like in the 50's. This morning, there was a 2" thick layer of Krausen already. Definitely not even a 12 hour lag. Safale -04

My I suggest the name "Armpit Ale?" :D

Haha, Red's Raspberry Vanilla Armpit Porter.

Sounds tasty.

Really, I am amazed by the resiliance of yeast. Basically the little critters I pitched yesterday went from Michigan temps to South Texas temps in a second. Must have been a shock to them, but they are definitely working their magic right now. The more I brew, the more I realize, that I can't really screw anything up no matter what I do.

Isn't Safale-04 a dry yeast? I have a hunch that dry yeast will suffer less from going directly from the fridge to wort than liquid yeasts, but that is based purely on conjecture.

Yeah, S-04 is a dry yeast, I pitched some myself just last evening. I had some thermometer issues, my digital thermometer that I was using during the Immersion Chiller process kept reading 104, when I could touch the outside of the brew kettle and found it cool to the touch. So I got out a second digital thermometer, and found that my actual temp was 59, which was confirmed by the analog thermometer in my fermenter.

Anyhow, I was a bit concerned that the wort was going to be too cold to pitch the S-04, as it was right at the bottom of the temp range for S-04 (59-73, according to my LHBS). I added some boiled water to top off to 5gal, and that brought the temp up to 74, and I pitched then aerated. When I woke up this morning, the fermenter was at 60, but no apparent bubbling yet. We'll see when I get home - I'll bet I've got blowoff going!

Just so you guys know (if you even care since you apparently have other things to talk about) I used a hair dryer on high for about 5 minutes and it jump started it and its been bubbleing like crazy since.

Back