What happens if you don't get complete conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29674

Reaction score
I have my preboil sample cooling, and I just went and looked at it and there are globules of... something... floating in it. I think it may be starch from the grain? I didn't do an iodine test, and the batch is boiling now. I'm running out to get some iodine while SWMBO keeps an eye on the boil, but what will happen to the brew if that is incomplete conversion?

Hopefully this is little pieces of grain or break material of some sort that will settle out in the fermenter. Ugh.

I'm sure it will be fine. Worst case, lower efficiency and less abv.

RDWHAHB!!! :mug:

you often won't get "complete" conversion in AG (90% is a great target).

BUT, something floating in your sample has nothing to do with conversion. Most likely some flecks of husk or something got into your kettle while you were lautering. Shouldn't be a big deal.

:mug:

I was curious about something....how can one figure out their efficiency without software?

I was curious about something....how can one figure out their efficiency without software?

Its just math. You take the maximum theoretical extraction for your grain, and divide your gravity by the maximum. The decimal you get is your efficency as a percentage.

IE: maximum potential extraction of your grain is 1.030 and you get 1.020... 20/30 = .666666666 = 67%

I went to Kroger and got some iodine and no color change. I pulled the sample as it was heating up to boil, so probably near 190*. I'm pretty sure its break material, or something totally normal. I've never brewed anything this light in color (BM's Centennial Blonde) so maybe this is supposed to be in there and I've just never been able to see it before.

Now that I'm looking at a post-boil sample I'm 90-99% sure that its break material. Its settling to the bottom pretty fast in the sample jar. I guess I've just never noticed it because all my beers thus far have been darker. :mug:

Back