What happened? Yeast immediately fizzled.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyphoxx

Reaction score
Pretty sure I just witnessed a great war between Australia and Great Britain in yeast form! I have a 5 gallon batch of homebrew that looked like no fermentation was happening, at all. The Aussie yeast I pitched wasn't doing jack. My local shop didn't have any more so I bought some British yeast and added it to the fermenter along with a little yeast nutrient. ALMOST INSTANTLY the beer started foaming up and rose like 5 inches. Turns out the Aussies were alive, just silent, like ninjas. Ninjas that said FU to their British invaders. Now I play the waiting game.

The fizz you witness were yeast farts in solution. Once you pitched the brits you gave nucleation points for the Aussie farts to make a jacuzzi. Foam is protein.

No knowing what yeast you used, your grain bill, your pitch temp or your fermenting temp, I don't know what happened. however, it sounds like if you maintained the same temp when you pitched the British yeast then that yeast may have appreciated that temp more than the Australian yeast.

It's kind of a guessing game without more info unless you figure it is all good now since it did immediately take off.

Back