what happened to my beersmith??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearko520

Reaction score
the other day when i was importing some recipes, norton for some reason tried to uninstall beersmith and said it was a threat. i told it to restore it and checked the box to not do that again- it did it the next time i opened, but then stopped doing it after that. I probably opened it 3 or 4 times since then and everything was cool. today i go to open it and it says my trial has expired would i like to buy it ( i did that a while ago) so i re entered my user key and it started up and NONE of my recipes are there. now i do run it on another machine and probably have most of my recipes somewhere and can dig them up - i always keep hard copies also - BUT - WTF? has anyone else had this happen to them? this machine was kind of like my master file keeper... i feel like crying.

The same thing happened to me. I lost a bunch of recipes and didn't have any back ups. I sure learned fast how to make back ups. I have had several things like this happen. One time I tried to delete some add ons and it deleted all my recipes. Good thing you had your backed up again. Wish I knew why this stuff was happening.

yeah - it's just a pain to reorganize everything, and all my tasting notes were on those versions - like forty recipes. I guess i'm going to email beersmith. Did you look all over on your pc to see if the files aren't maybe stored somewhere else and are still there? when i get time, i guess i'll do that - this happened to you more than once?

I went to the beersmith folder in my programs directory and tried loading some of the files and was able to find some of the missing recipes but like you experienced a lot of my notes were not there.

thanks man - i might give that a try, though i just re-upped norton for another year

thanks man - i might give that a try, though i just re-upped norton for another year

I'll put a vote in for Avast, Avira, or AVG. Even Microsoft Security Essentials is better than Norton and McAfee. Kaspersky's O.K. if you insist on paying. I would ditch Norton even if you just paid for a year - I have seen some of the devastating things Norton is capable of doing to a computer.

Back