What grapes would do well in a beer? Looking for your expertise.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
HI, this is my first time posting in the wine forum. I make a lot of beer, and am very active in the beer forums. I had a few commercial beers recently that have had some grape juice added and have been impressed, and want to research this further by making a few of my own beers with the addition of grape juice.

I have no idea what different grape juices add to the final product. I'm thinking of using somewhere in the region or 30% (maybe more, maybe less) grape juice in the product, so it will be significant. I really have no idea what different grapes are available. When I look at what is available, there seems to be so many.

1) First question I have is: Why not just use concentrate from the local supermarket. Is it really that different? Of course it is different, but what do the different juices/grapes available bring to the table?

2) Next question: What does wine yeast bring to the table. I'm looking at something in the region of 8 to 10% abv as a final product. Ale yeasts do fine to that level and bring an array of flavors. I'm probably looking at a Belgian yeast with fruit or spicy flavors. What would I gain by using a wine yeast. What do wine yeasts bring to the party.

3) If supermarket concentrates are out (I suspect they are). what is the difference in juice supplied by different companies. I see a great difference in prices for similar grape concentrates. Also, where would one recommend buying grape concentrate. I'm figuring I'll buy a 5 gallon wine kit and split it between a few batches. MoreWine seems to be reasonable, especially since there are no taxes or shipping costs for kit wines.

4) I'm sure there is a lot I don't know (I know there is a lot I don't know - that is why I am here to learn from you). This is a new area for me making a 'hybrid' brew. Any advice from the experienced wine makers?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help or advice you can provide will be most welcome.

Edit: Recipe for experimental 3 gallon Batch with Welch's 100% White Grape Juice in post #23.

Syrah or Pinot Noir would be my top 2 picks. Both have nice tannin qualities and produce great medium body, fruity, dry complex wine.

Wine yeast may finish too dry and strip too much malt / grape flavor.

Never tried to brew one, but I have had dogfish head's version. It's good, but different.

Just made a Riesling Saison and doing a Belgian Golden Strong with Chardonnay grape must. soon.

I sourced my must from the LHBS when grapes came into season.... all fresh. Can't speak for concentrate as I've never used it.

Northern Brewer has a kit called Antithesis that sounds like what you're looking for. (saison yeast and sauvignon Blanc).

Quite a few years ago, kiltedbrewer sent me a beer that had a wheat base, like an American wheat, and used riesling grape must in it.

It was excellent.

I would use a floral white grape- sauvignon blanc, Riesling, muscat are all great suggestions.

Try mixing 2/3 beer and 1/3 wine, experiment with types / volumes, then I would ferment them together, with some oak.

I have been wanting to do this too, just too many projects in line!

Muscat, Symphony, Semillon, Reisling, these will give good aromatics. I prefer the Symphony. These would work well with a saison/farmhouse ale as well as some variations of wheat beers

Now to have some more fun with abbeys and Belgium beers a syrah, pinot, maybe even zin. If you go a little heavy on the red juice in a beer be ready for some strange color as the red pigments in grape is held bright by the lower pH. when that pH raises the color go little weird.

Back sweetening your beers is possibly the best idea to retain the fruit characters. be aware of the acid additions with the juice too (taste, head retention, stabilization..)

Thanks to everyone for input. Please continue to post ideas/information. This is not going to e a quick project, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions while I put this together.

I'm thinking of using a couple of juices in a few brews. Maybe a Muscat or similar in a Wheat or Saison, and a red with flavors of cherries, plums, and the like in an Imperial Porter.

I assume wine kits are the best way to buy the juice (is it?). If it is, I'll have enough for a number if beers (or I suppose I could make wine with the left over juice). What is the best way to store juice?

I've still got a lot of planning to go, but think I'll be using ale yeasts, mashing the grains at high temps to retain some body to offset the dryness from the grape juice, and maybe using some oats to help with mouthfeel.

When I'm done, I'll post the recipes, and try and remember to report on the results.

I assume wine kits are the best way to buy the juice (is it?). If it is, I'll have enough for a number if beers (or I suppose I could make wine with the left over juice). What is the best way to store juice?

If you get concentrate your safe as long as the container remains unopened.

or if you have left over juice, freeze it

HI, this is my first time posting in the wine forum. I make a lot of beer, and am very active in the beer forums. I had a few commercial beers recently that have had some grape juice added and have been impressed, and want to research this further by making a few of my own beers with the addition of grape juice.

I have no idea what different grape juices add to the final product. I'm thinking of using somewhere in the region or 30% (maybe more, maybe less) grape juice in the product, so it will be significant. I really have no idea what different grapes are available. When I look at what is available, there seems to be so many.

1) First question I have is: Why not just use concentrate from the local supermarket. Is it really that different? Of course it is different, but what do the different juices/grapes available bring to the table?

2) Next question: What does wine yeast bring to the table. I'm looking at something in the region of 8 to 10% abv as a final product. Ale yeasts do fine to that level and bring an array of flavors. I'm probably looking at a Belgian yeast with fruit or spicy flavors. What would I gain by using a wine yeast. What do wine yeasts bring to the party.

3) If supermarket concentrates are out (I suspect they are). what is the difference in juice supplied by different companies. I see a great difference in prices for similar grape concentrates. Also, where would one recommend buying grape concentrate. I'm figuring I'll buy a 5 gallon wine kit and split it between a few batches. MoreWine seems to be reasonable, especially since there are no taxes or shipping costs for kit wines.

4) I'm sure there is a lot I don't know (I know there is a lot I don't know - that is why I am here to learn from you). This is a new area for me making a 'hybrid' brew. Any advice from the experienced wine makers?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help or advice you can provide will be most welcome.

Sounds like an interesting project.

I suspect that the products you are referring to are actually fermenting the grape juice right into the product ... not just adding it as a backsweetener of some sort.

I see that some of these hybrid products are using grape juice for about 25 % of the ferment. Some are using brett as the yeast and others are using the natural wild yeasts found on the grape skins (that is, not adding commercial yeast). Others are using a Belgian wheat yeast. With some, the result is being barrel aged like wine. Not sure if that is in a charred barrel or not.
All very artisanal for sure.

I would absolutely stay away from the Brettanomyces.

If I was really serious about this I’d actually call some of the commercial makers (such as Avery brewing in boulder) and ask if their barrels are charred or not (etc) in order to determine whether and/or how much they re oaking the product (introducing extra tannin by letting the product be in contact with oak wood).

It would appear that it is popular to use a lighter malt maybe a pilsner, or maybe a wheat.

The grapes being used are apparently carefully chosen varieties ... and also the techniques used are advanced and start at the viticulture level ... that is, in the vineyard during the growing season.

All very admirable but maybe not so necessary for a small batch as one’s first foray into such products.
Personally I’d leave the specialty vinting for later batches.

Re your questions ...

1) Personally I think that supermarket juice would be fine for a first, small test batch. While for my first batch I would not likely use a concord grape juice like Welch’s (purple) which tends to have a very specific and possibly overpowering taste profile ... I *would* instead use Welch’s white grape product which is in fact a Niagara grape. Some people do use a concord adjunct in beer making. I guess I’d start with the safer bet. But the concord might be a reasonable choice too.
Both are available in either 64oz bottles or frozen concentrate. The frozen concentrate would be my choice also as a simple way to raise the OG of the wort (prior to fermenting)... unless you did not need to raise the ABV much due to trying to keep to something more like a true low-alcohol saison.
Frozen Concentrated Grape Juice (FCGJ) might also help to insure a more noticeable grape character.

2) Yeast. With the majority of the ferment being wort, I’d think your Belgian would be just fine.
If you want to try a wine yeast, one which promotes the esters responsible for fruity and floral notes and has a number of other desirable characteristics you could use Lalvin’s K1-V1116.
K1-V1116 (lalvin) ... this should be fermented in an open top fermenter as it has a higher oxygen requirement than some other yeasts. K1 is good at fighting off other unintended yeasts and microbes, good at low fermentation temperatures, not too high of nitrogen requirements. With 75% of the ferment being wort, I’d think it would be a happy yeast without added nutrients as long as oxygen was not restricted during most of the primary ferment.
The less “wort” and the more “must” ... the more likely I’d add a bit of “yeast energizer” preferably one which contains at least some DAP (a common nitrogen source) ...
I’d add it from about ¼ of the way thru the ferment to about the half-way point (in terms of SG change).
Carefully keep your ferment at 55* to 58*F for best results with the K1.

You were asking about the difference between beer yeast and wine yeast? ... most wine yeast is not so good at fermenting maltotriose. One wine yeast that *does* ferment it as well as any beer yeast is K1-v1116. But really, if you are going to mash anyway, the maltotriose is probably not much of an issue.
Another difference ... some (but not all) wine yeasts can cause a fouling odor called Phenyl off-flavor (POF). POF can cause a masking of some of the varietal character of certain grapes/wines.
Beer yeast does not typically cause POF ... neither does K1-v1116.
I don’t think that either of the two differences I note above is terribly significant to your project. But you asked.
If I am recalling correctly, I believe that K1 is, coincidentally, traditionally the most widely used “wine yeast” for beer production.

A second choice I’d consider in a wine yeast for such a product ... 71B-1122 (lalvin). 71B would definitely promote a fruity nose to come through in the beer.
Again, because of issues with what is called yeast “survival factor” development, this yeast definitely needs an open top fermentation for oxygen and also the addition of yeast *energizer*.

3) grape concentrates. For the initial small test batch, personally I would be fine with a FCGJ as found at the grocery store.
The primary differences bottled verses FCGJ, are that frozen concentrates may be less likely to contain added chemicals, particularly sorbates & sulfites ... and to a degree at least with “organic” products, anti-oxidants such as ascorbic acid. The sorbates absolutely will not fly ... the sulfites - eh, avoid them as much as possible ... as far as a bit of ascorbic acid - not such a big thing.
If what you find is a frozen concentrate that contains ascorbic acid, for the initial batch I’d think it fine. Bottled juices also typically undergo stabilization which removes pectin through chemical and heat methods, this is so the juice does not throw a sediment while sitting on the shelf at the grocery store, and unless it is sulfited, bottled juice runs the further risk of browning due to oxidation.
This shelf stabilization means that some of the more delicate varietal character would be lost.
This shelf-stabilization/pasteurization is *not* done on proper “wine grape” concentrates made for winemakers.
The type of grape concentrate found at the vintners supply is produced by basically extracting and condensing the tannins & polyphenols ... then adding it back to the juice (basically increasing the content) ... then the juice has the water evaporated from it under high vacuum. Then usually a pectinase and some sulfiting is added (to protect against oxidation). This results in a concentrate that will still express the varietal nature of the grape.

By all means, if you are not just futzing around on the first batch go buy a proper wine grape concentrate. It can only help.

4) as for your question #4 about general tips ... that’s a tougher question to answer. I’ll say:
Keep really good notes ...
Keep on top of your fermentation temps ...
Don’t put under airlock until primary fermentation is nearly to the end (i.e. do your primary fermentation in an open-top fermenting bucket with a piece of thin material such as a t-shirt etc secured across the opening to keep debri/fruit flies etc out) ...
Keep headspace in your carboy to a minimum ...
Unless you expect to drink the product very soon, DO use a mild dose (say, half the dose on the sulfite bottle) of potassium metabisulfite after primary fermentation to counter oxidation and loss of fruit character and nose ...
Keep really good detailed notes. er, did I already say that(?). Yep.

If it were me, for my first batch or so while I work out the kinks, I would ....

Go with 25% grape in the wort. Supermarket FCAJ or grape concentrate from the vintner/brewer supply
a lighter malt
nelson sauivon hops (might help with the grape character)
K1-V1116 yeast
ferment 55* to 58*(max)
open top fermenter
don’t boil with the grape juice included ... and so, that also means
observe strict sanitation

For what it's worth I would also use parts of a batch to *carefully* experiment with varying amounts of oaking using oak chips or cubes ... probably in the secondary.

Thanks JM for taking the time. A lot of information.

Currently thinking of about 30% juice by gravity measure, and using a Belgian yeast.

If type of juice doesn't matter, I'll use the Welch white. But if it makes a big difference, I'll buy the right stuff.

This may be an experiment, but it will be 65 bottles. I want to make it as good as I can for first attempt.

I was thinking Nelson hops would be good with this. I think I have 12 ozs somewhere in the freezer.

When you recommend open fermentation, is that because of the grape juice, or the type of yeast?

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks JM for taking the time. A lot of information.

Currently thinking of about 30% juice by gravity measure, and using a Belgian yeast.

If type of juice doesn't matter, I'll use the Welch white. But if it makes a big difference, I'll buy the right stuff.

This may be an experiment, but it will be 65 bottles. I want to make it as good as I can for first attempt.

I was thinking Nelson hops would be good with this. I think I have 12 ozs somewhere in the freezer.

When you recommend open fermentation, is that because of the grape juice, or the type of yeast?

Thanks again for your input.

You're welcome.

65 bottles probably deserves proper wine-grape concentrate such as you mentioned buying online.

The open top fermentation is for the purposes of the yeast. Different yeasts have different requirements to be happy. The two I mentioned (the K1 and the 71B) both have higher oxygen requirements, especially the 71B.
If you are going to go with the Belgian ... and you've successfully used that yeast before, then you can likely use the primary fermenter type from those previous uses.

fwiw; in any regard it's definitely worth finding that Belgian yeast's specifics ... things like nutrition or pH needs ... oxygen needs ... whether you need to futz with it to push it along to the desired attenuation ... ferment temp to get the desired esters and phenols etc ... note that with your Belgian, the cooler ferment temp I noted above for the K1 yeast of course does not apply.

My LHBS sells Alexander's concentrate in 46 oz. cans. It's made for making wine although appears to be fairly low end quality wise. If you do the math one can should add about 22 gravity points to a 5.5 gallon batch of beer. I posted a thread the other day in the Lambic & Wild Brewing area about a plan I'm putting together to make a Saison and Pinot Noir beer fermented with a Wyeast sour blend.

My LHBS sells Alexander's concentrate in 46 oz. cans. It's made for making wine although appears to be fairly low end quality wise. If you do the math one can should add about 22 gravity points to a 5.5 gallon batch of beer. I posted a thread the other day in the Lambic & Wild Brewing area about a plan I'm putting together to make a Saison and Pinot Noir beer fermented with a Wyeast sour blend.

Out of curiosity, what did you find to be low end about it?

Out of curiosity, what did you find to be low end about it?

I probably should have qualified that. I have never used it so it's not really something I can say from experience. I formed that impression based on 2 things: (1) google searches and reading some reviews, and (2) it's fairly inexpensive relatively speaking, and I usually equate price with quality. I take it based on your handle that you're affiliated. I don't mean to convey a negative review without experience. As I mentioned I do actually plan on trying Alexander's out on a beer w/ grapes recipe of my own that I'm formulating.

The Oct. 16th, 2014 Basic Brewing episode might be worth a listen even though the final result was intended to be a sour beer.

Thanks for pointing this out. I listened to the show. Basically two versions were shared. One with a light grain bill (pilsner and corn) and white grapes. The other with a darker grain bill (munich and victory?) and red grapes. Each had 10 gallons wort, split into two fermenters. Fermenter 1 gets wine yeast and the grapes. Fermenter 2 gets a sour blend. After active fermentation, they are blended 50/50 and additional grapes are added.

Firestone Walker has a sour beer called Feral Vinifera. It's component grapes are Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, and Muscat. It won't last long, but in their barrelworks tasting room (sours and barrel aged reserve beers) in Buelton, CA, they have the Feral V and all 3 components on the tasting board. It's fun to taste the beer an it's components to try and ferret out which flavors came from which components.

Apologies for the atrocious spelling.

The Oct. 16th, 2014 Basic Brewing episode might be worth a listen even though the final result was intended to be a sour beer.

An interesting episode.
It would seem that the separate fermentations for the beer portion and the wine portion would be missing out on some sort of synergy though. Blending after the fact like that just doesn't strike me as a sort of truly different product.
I'd like to hear an account and details on a "one pot" sort of fermentation where one yeast and one primary ferment is used.

I'd think that being hopped is necessary as well. When I drink it I want to say "ah ha ... yes, beer" ... to me that's the hops.

Besides hops, grape tannin being derived from the catechins in grapes and a bit more bitter and astringent... and also the more hydrolyzable sort of tannin from wood sources, are both a counterpart to the flavor and bitterness that hops normally provide.

I would think there is a complementary balance to be found there using hops besides the other tannins.

An interesting episode.

[snip]

I'd think that being hopped is necessary as well. When I drink it I want to say "ah ha ... yes, beer" ... to me that's the hops.
I believed that the wort in discussed in the episode was deliberately hopped lightly or left sweet/unhopped to avoid inhibiting the various souring cultures. If you aren't shooting for a sour result hopping to taste would be wise.

Well I couldn't wait to figure out the right juice and create a recipe, so I quickly pulled together a quick extract/Welch grape juice test batch (idea thanks to Jacob_Marley). I've probably gone over the top with the hops and spices, but it's quick, cheap, and only 3 gallons. I never use spices normally, so I hope I haven't done too much. If there are problems I'll know a little more about what not to do when I have more expensive grape juice and spend time mashing grains for a larger (7 gallon) batch.

5.25 lbs Briess Pilsner LME
0.6 ozs Nelson Sauvin Hops at 30
0.6 ozs Nelson Sauvin Hops at 10
0.6 ozs Nelson Sauvin Hops at 0 (Hop stand at 175 F for 30 minutes)

Zest of 2 oranges
0.2 ozs ground coriander
2 grams grains of paradise
Spices split in two, and added at 15 and 5 minutes to go.

3 cans of Welch frozen 100% white grape concentrate (11.5 ozs x 3) added to fermenter.

Ithica (Ground Break) Belgian yeast. Slurry from a previous batch. I do not know the origins of the Ithica yeast, but it is definitely Belgian. It is what I had on hand, ready to go.

OG estimate 1.085 (Calculated from ingredients - wort/must too low in fermenter to take a sample).
FG - looking to finish somewhere around 1.008 for 10% abv.
IBUs - 35

Thinking of leaving 4 weeks under airlock and then bottling (assuming the yeast is man enough to complete the job).

Any thoughts/comments, good or bad, are welcome. This is just an 'experiment'. I will report on outcome when done.

Back