What grains should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I received a grain mill and a 50# sack of two row for Christmas. I am wondering what other grains I should buy? I am not sure if I really need another 50# sack of another grain, maybe 5# or 10# of a different varieties.

I brew IPAs, NEIPAs, and Cream Ales. I will be getting 10# of flaked corn for sure. Should I be getting Munich, Vienna, some crystal, biscuit, honey, white wheat, carafoam...ahhh so many choices I don’t know where to start.

Last year I finally got a mill and started buying sacks of base malts and 10 lb lots of specialty malts.
Make a list of all the recipes you might try in the next year and buy what you think you'll need. I now have about 300 lbs of grain on hand, which is more than I need, but I'll use it eventually. Start rounding up food grade buckets, some shelves, and label everything.

maybe 5# or 10# of a different varieties.

I brew IPAs, NEIPAs, and Cream Ales. I will be getting 10# of flaked corn for sure. Should I be getting Munich, Vienna, some crystal, biscuit, honey, white wheat, carafoam...ahhh so many choices I don’t know where to start.

Yes.....

I use a recipe for a shopping list then order at least twice what I need, then I have the rest for the next recipe. If I have an unexpected chance to brew I can put together a recipe without having to get grain.

I also keep some extra yeast on hand. I have a bunch of frozen yeast vials, unfortunately they thawed during my move. I have not tried one to see if they can still be resurrected.

Great ideas, thanks everyone.

I guess I might have asked what everyone has on hand if they aren’t buying for recipes?

I am newish to All Grain and am still learning what malts I like. Maybe I should buy 5# of a handful of different malts and just brew.

Last edited:
I buy base grain in sacks, Munich in ten pound bags because so many recipes use it. A pound of several different crystals will do- I don't get every level, a couple of light, medium and dark. Buy roast if you make stouts, caramunich for Belgians, etc. But 2-row, munich and a few types of crystal will make a lot of beers.

2-row pale ale, pilsner, Crystal 40-60L, wheat, Münich and chocolate can make up a huge range of beers. But in addition to malt bills there are many things to learn. The process and balance between hops and malts are important and it may be a good idea to start with certain style and master it by brewing a couple of batches before moving on to the next style. A good principle with malts could be the KISS principle because too many factors in a recipe mean too many ways to go wrong. Many famous beers are brewed with 1-3 malts only. For American Cream Ales u may buy some 6-row base malt as well. The styles you mentioned do not need pilsner malts so you may replace that with american 6-row.

Last edited:
English Crystal and Brown malts
Belgian Special B and Cara malts
Amber, Biscuit, Carafa Special, Chocolate malts ( rye, wheat, spelt, pale )

I buy base grain in sacks, Munich in ten pound bags because so many recipes use it. A pound of several different crystals will do- I don't get every level, a couple of light, medium and dark. Buy roast if you make stouts, caramunich for Belgians, etc. But 2-row, munich and a few types of crystal will make a lot of beers.

This seems like a good route to start. Thanks

I guess I might have asked what everyone has on hand if they aren’t buying for recipes?

Personally - I got my grain inventory down to a part-open sack of Maris Otter, and that suits me just fine. As long as I have a couple of kg's of Otter in the sack then my "spontaneous" brewing needs are covered, as I always have some packs of new hops to try and yeast to test (and more yeast in the bank, and backup packets of dry yeast) and an Otter SMASH is a good way to test them. Plus my default beer in the pub is generally a 4-4.5% golden ale, so it works as a house beer even if sometimes it might be less hoppy with a European hop, and other times it will be super-hoppy.

Otherwise - it's good to plan. It doesn't have to be in super-detail, and obviously there's scope for the odd spontaneous brew, but I've got a pretty good idea what my next 4-5 brews are going to be and that makes it much easier to organise purchasing without tying up cash in grain that is just sitting there getting stale. Also this :

it may be a good idea to start with certain style and master it by brewing a couple of batches before moving on to the next style. A good principle with malts could be the KISS principle because too many factors in a recipe mean too many ways to go wrong.

KISS is definitely a good idea - I think it's a common mistake for homebrewers to overcomplicate things by having three different crystals etc in a beer. And +1 to actually trying to master a single style before moving on, or at least, having 2-3 styles that you're trying to master whilst giving yourself a bit of variety to drink. It's easy to get distracted by "stuff" when it's process you need to worry about.

I completely understand the kid-in-a-candy-store aspect to all this, but at the same time - how many gallons are you actually going to drink of that fenugreek-and-strawberry quadrupel? For now I'd let the bottle shop provide your "minor" beers whilst you focus your brewing on really nailing a house beer or two. Not only will it leave you with lots of "usable" beer, but the experience will improve all your other brewing.

I am newish to All Grain and am still learning what malts I like. Maybe I should buy 5# of a handful of different malts and just brew.

I'd start with what beers you like - and of the ones you mention, I'd start with the "ordinary" IPA, then the cream ale, then the NEIPA. Find a recipe for each of those that is roughly like something you know you like, and buy what you need for those. Trialling grains is a bit of a pain compared to hops and yeast, where you can brew up a single big batch and then split it into different fermenters with different hop teas/dry hops/yeasts. Pretty much all my brewing these days divides a big batch into gallon buckets with different treatments.

You can test grain just by chewing a few, or making them into biscuits. But I guess you could set up a waterbath (ie only one temperature to control) with several ideally chemistry beakers but bowls or flower vases or something with pale malt and the test grain, mash them, probably wouldn't even need to boil them since you're not keeping them long - have a taste, then decant into soda bottles or something, perhaps with 30IBU of alpha extract or bittering hop tea just to be a bit closer to what your tastebuds are used to, then a splash of starter and ferment. Tighten up the lids before OG, and you've got yourself a reasonably fair test without too much work.

But really, I wouldn't go too mad with buying lots of speciality grains at this stage.

I got a grain mill last Spring. In the fall I got my 1st 50lb. bag. It was Munich as I had 2 Altbiers and 4 lagers planned. Pretty much finished with that bag, so I just picked up a 50lber of 2-row. I also have 1 lb. bags of many specialty grains. Fortunately I keep track of them all on an Excel spreadsheet.
As said above, it all depends on what you plan on brewing and what your recipes might call for.

Well I went to MoreBeer and had over 15 items in the cart in order to get to the free shipping. I ordered a few five lb bags according to the styles that I plan on brewing and the rest were 2 lbs of specialty malts. It should be easy to keep track of malt while they are in their packaged bags, until I crack into them then I will vacuum seal them.

I received a grain mill and a 50# sack of two row for Christmas. I am wondering what other grains I should buy? I am not sure if I really need another 50# sack of another grain, maybe 5# or 10# of a different varieties.

All good ingredients for the styles you like. You could get by without carafoam wheat vienna if you wanted. If you add chocolate to your list, you'll be able to expand into brown ales, porters and stouts if/when you choose.

But I guess you could set up a waterbath (ie only one temperature to control) with several ideally chemistry beakers but bowls or flower vases or something with pale malt and the test grain, mash them, probably wouldn't even need to boil them since you're not keeping them long - have a taste, then decant into soda bottles or something, perhaps with 30IBU of alpha extract or bittering hop tea just to be a bit closer to what your tastebuds are used to, then a splash of starter and ferment. Tighten up the lids before OG, and you've got yourself a reasonably fair test without too much work.

COOL!

I don't brew as often as I used to, so I don't buy grain by the sack. I do keep 10 or so lbs of various base malts on hand. Maris Otter, 2-row, Munich. Like to keep a good supply of wheat malt. Also smaller amounts of specialty malts and adjuncts. I keep them all in ziploc bags and stored in 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids.

Back