what GPM pond pump and how long have you used it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
Just about ready to get a submersible pond pump for wort chilling (pumping ice water thru immersion chiller) but I wanted to see what strength pumps and how long they have been in use.

Please include any you stopped using or stopped working, as well as a reason.

Thanks!

I use a wet saw pump that was around 20 bucks to run ice water through my 1/2" X 50' Don't know the brand or gpm, but using ice water, I can chill 5 gallons in about 15 minutes.

I was also using a 200-300 GPH pond pump, until I built a CFC and use my reg pump now.

I bought a submersible pump from Northern Tool [item #10898] about six years ago. I use it not only for my chiller, but to pump water to my sump crock when we get heavy rains [cellar foundation walls are more mortar than stone...and more sand in the mortar than cement]. It is 1/8 hp and will pump over 1200 gph [over 20 gpm] When I bought it, Northern had it on sale for $39.95, and it's been worth every penny and more!

glenn514:mug:

I was also looking at the drill-driven pumps, up to 650GPH, but I wondered if I'd burn the drill out before a normal pond-pump would have died, thus making it not worth it.

Anyone use something in the $20 price range for any significant period of time? I have a 50' 3/8 chiller, so the restriction is a bit more.

I use this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-horsepower-submersible-utility-pump-68422.html

I bought it because it has more lift (23 ft) than most of the submersible pumps I've seen. I wanted all the pressure I could get to force water through my 50', 3/8" chiller. It works fine but the restriction of the chiller really cuts down the flow, as it will with any pump. Mine is rated 1350 gph and I actually get about 70 gph through the chiller. I've only used it 3 or 4 times so can't yet vouch for its longevity.

As for the drill powered pumps, I experimented with one briefly, and it put out a lot of pressure, but I worried about burning up my drill. Also, they pack those full of white grease, so you will either end up with grease all over the inside of your chiller, or you'll need to take the pump apart before you use it to clean out the grease - and then worry if the pump will fail due to the lack of grease.

I find the cheapest, lowest GPH, form harbour freight works the best, lower GPH transfers more heat

I use this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-horsepower-submersible-utility-pump-68422.html

I bought it because it has more lift (23 ft) than most of the submersible pumps I've seen. I wanted all the pressure I could get to force water through my 50', 3/8" chiller. It works fine but the restriction of the chiller really cuts down the flow, as it will with any pump. Mine is rated 1350 gph and I actually get about 70 gph through the chiller. I've only used it 3 or 4 times so can't yet vouch for its longevity.

As for the drill powered pumps, I experimented with one briefly, and it put out a lot of pressure, but I worried about burning up my drill. Also, they pack those full of white grease, so you will either end up with grease all over the inside of your chiller, or you'll need to take the pump apart before you use it to clean out the grease - and then worry if the pump will fail due to the lack of grease.

I bought the same pump and have used it for two batches. I'm using a 50' 1/2 immersion chiller. So far it's worked great. I bought a $10 pond pump from Harbor Freight first and it didn't have nearly enough power to circulate anything.

Back