What Freezer do you have and what can you fit in it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Buying in 2 days -- nothing good on Craigslist-- What Freezer do you have, how big is it, and how much can you fit in it?

Any suggestions on where to buy?

I bought a 7 cu. ft. GE freezer for $70 on craigslist. It holds 4 corny kegs and a bunch of bottles in between and on the hump. It would for sure hold my 10lb CO2 inside too if I wanted.

I waited a few weeks checking CL everyday until one that was the right size at the right price came up. This thing was practically brand new and well priced, and the owner repaired fridges and freezers for a living.

Kenmore 13 cu. ft. - 7 cornies and CO2 plus plenty of extra space on the floor, and probably another couple of 3 gallon kegs on the hump - never tried.

10 cu foot Whirlpool. It easily fits two fermentation buckets and 2 1-gallon starter jugs with room to spare. I only use it for fermenting, not serving.

Hey i have a GE 7 Cu foot chest freezer with a collar that fits 5 cornies LIKE A GLOVE. pics coming soon!

10 cu. ft. Amana

Freezer.jpg

LagerFreezer1.jpg

LagerFreezer2.jpg

20 cu. ft. Frigidaire.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

I've got a 9.8 cu. ft. Fridgidaire and I can fit 2 carboys easily with plenty of room to condition 50 bottles or so.

16 Cubic Foot Whirlpool Chest, 8 Pinlocks or 9 Ball locks. 6/7 if I have a bucket inside.

I used to cellar bottles in there but got tired of dealing with the condensation.

I have the 14.8 cu ft Whirlpool. I contacted Whirlpool before deciding and they were very helpful in supplying interior dimensions of their freezers. Everyone lisits external dimensions in all of their data sheets, which leaves you guessing a bit as to the interior size.

Hey Ed,
Did you pick all of those up at the Jeffery Dahmer estate sale?:p

Hey Ed,
Did you pick all of those up at the Jeffery Dahmer estate sale?:p

Nope, it was from Hannibal Lecter's estate sale. It took a while to get the fava bean smell out of them. :D

Acutally, the first 3 are the same freezer, just showing different content configs.

15 cu ft got from friend at work. Amana, I think.

Currently holds 2 frozen pizzas, a bag of hops and some frozen peas.

It LOOKS lik there will be no shortage of beer storage once operation keg commences.

Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft. 4 five gallon kegs fit comfortably (don't think 5 would fit, but not sure since I only have 4 to try out). I also have a Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft model (fits 3 kegs, definitely not 4) which used to be my kegerator until I received the 8.8 model. I plan on using the 7.2 as a temp-controlled container, it looks to be plenty big enough for my 6.5 gal glass carboy.

My advice to you...(aside from drinking heavily) is to measure the interior dimensions of any freezer you might be looking to buy to make sure it will meet your expectations. I got my first freezer from Craigslist, which is a great way to find deals if you have the patience to wait for the right thing to come along.

I just scored a 21 cu. ft. Freezer for $200. I was about to pull the trigger on a 14 cu. ft. one from Sears right before it came through due to the great advice in the thread-- thanks again HomebrewTalk!

Back