What fermenter is your favorite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#p3brews

Reaction score
Been looking at 14 gal - 1 BBL fermenters. Like the Spike but not the band on top. The Blichmann has a band going thru the middle!? Thinking the SS Brewtech looks best. I have a 7 gal SS Brewtech and am happy. Also liked the ones i saw on MoreBeer site. Thoughts, favorites, input or feedback appreciated.

I have two of the Spike 10 gallon conicals. Besides carboys they are my only experience with fermenters, so I won't say they are the best. I'll just say so far they kick ass for me and my process. The band on top works perfect and allows easy cleaning and access. I have a SS Brewtech Mash tun. It took a lot of modifications to make it worth while and work for my process, hence why I strayed away from them to Spike. I have no regrets.

The Anvil Bucket is probably the best value. With that said, I recently purchased a Spike Flex, and though almost twice the price, it seems worth it. The SS is heavier; the four inch port in the lid is nice for dry hopping, and the cone is a bit deeper allowing me to keg without much loss to trub. Right now, I have an Anvil and the Spike, but I think I'll probably invest in another Spike when the time comes.

I have two of the Spike 10 gallon conicals. Besides carboys they are my only experience with fermenters, so I won't say they are the best. I'll just say so far they kick ass for me and my process. The band on top works perfect and allows easy cleaning and access. I have a SS Brewtech Mash tun. It took a lot of modifications to make it worth while and work for my process, hence why I strayed away from them to Spike. I have no regrets.
haven't used a spike but seem to be drawn to their qualities. the band on top scares me, but you say it works perfect. leaning towards one i saw in the bargain bin.

haven't used a spike but seem to be drawn to their qualities. the band on top scares me, but you say it works perfect. leaning towards one i saw in the bargain bin.
I have had zero issues from day one. Tight seal with no leaks. My understanding is they had a lot of leaks during the trail phases several years ago, but have perfected and learned from the earlier prototypes. I would purchase without fear of CO2 leakage. Carbonation in the fermenter in a day is no joke.

Attachments

• conical.jpg
    conical.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 146
I have had zero issues from day one. Tight seal with no leaks. My understanding is they had a lot of leaks during the trail phases several years ago, but have perfected and learned from the earlier prototypes. I would purchase without fear of CO2 leakage. Carbonation in the fermenter in a day is no joke.

appreciate your experience, knowledge and reply. thank you.

I was looking at the physical specifications of the Flex+ on their website trying to figure out if it would fit in my FC. It "should" fit..but probably within a gnat's @$$. I really want it to fit..which means that it probably won't...

I'm using 7G Fermonsters hacked for closed transfers. They're working really well, but I'm constantly on edge about scrubbing plastic too hard...or not hard enough...I've been taking a pretty hard look at the 6G Torpedo kegs because I know those will fit no problem, and remove my don't scrub too hard headaches.

Been looking at 14 gal - 1 BBL fermenters. Like the Spike but not the band on top. The Blichmann has a band going thru the middle!? Thinking the SS Brewtech looks best. I have a 7 gal SS Brewtech and am happy. Also liked the ones i saw on MoreBeer site. Thoughts, favorites, input or feedback appreciated.
I have a Spike CF5 (purchased in September, 2019) and agree with others here. Be nice to the gasket, make sure it is seated correctly, use a thin layer of keg lube to insure a good seal (I ferment under 6-8psi) and you’re all set. The ability to access the entire conical with the lid removed for cleaning and inspection is one of the reasons I went with the Spike, and glad that I did. I think some get hung up on the fact that it’s not a TC fitting as I almost did when deciding between the Spike and the SS.

The Blichmann has a band going thru the middle!?

Sounds like the old Blichmann fermenter "extension," i.e. the way they increased fermented volume by replacing the normal lid with a lid extension. If so, I would be wary of that middle gasket. I know three breweries that use or have used them, and none were able to do pressurized transfers, because as soon as they applied pressure, the fermenters would leak at the gasket. If this happens with a normal lid gasket, it's unfortunate. When it happens with a gasket midway down the fermenter, you lose beer.

My new favorite is a 7.5 gallon Sanke with a ball lock/tri-clamp cap and a floating dip tube. After 10 years of brewing this is by far the best and cheapest fermentor I’ve used. Rugged and zero worries about leaks. Able to pressure ferment and cold crash without even thinking about it.
0FB28130-AC58-4F6F-8E00-CC2556E0E193.jpeg

My new favorite is a 7.5 gallon Sanke with a ball lock/tri-clamp cap and a floating dip tube. After 10 years of brewing this is by far the best and cheapest fermentor I’ve used. Rugged and zero worries about leaks. Able to pressure ferment and cold crash without even thinking about it. View attachment 713673
I am very interested in this. Did you buy the sanke new?

My new favorite is a 7.5 gallon Sanke with a ball lock/tri-clamp cap and a floating dip tube. After 10 years of brewing this is by far the best and cheapest fermentor I’ve used. Rugged and zero worries about leaks. Able to pressure ferment and cold crash without even thinking about it.

How do you clean that thing?

I am very interested in this. Did you buy the sanke new?
No, I inherited it from my son a couple years ago. It had a Norcal setup on it that I was apprehensive about using with all the crevices for stuff to hide in. Once I found the kegland ball valve piece it’s been my go to. I’m not sure how hard this size sanke is to find but it’s perfect for 5 gallon batches.
How do you clean that thing?
Hot PBW and a long soak(over night). Always worked for the glass carboys. I might rig up a keg washer or buy one of those flap things you attach to a drill but no problems so far.

Last edited:
No, I inherited it from my son a couple years ago. It had a Norcal setup on it that I was apprehensive about using with all the crevices for stuff to hide in. Once I found the ball valve piece it’s been my go to. I’m not sure how hard this size sanke is to find but it’s perfect for 5 gallon batches.

Hot PBW and a long soak(over night). Always worked for the glass carboys. I might rig up a keg washer or buy one of those flap things you attach to a drill but no problems so far.
Also, some people steam sanitize them with water on your burner. Boil the water for a while pushing steam through the pressure spunding valve.

I have an ss brew bucket that I like, but am interested in pressure fermenting. Not really ideal with the standard lid. Guess I could get that chronical lid but, man....all this stainless steel is expensive and, other than how cool and sanitary stainless is, I can’t really tell a taste difference between stainless and plastic and I since I have never fermented under pressure or done a closed transfer and still make delicious beer, is it really a rabbit hole worth going down? What I don’t know won’t hurt me. I did this with coffee. I really liked just the regular Dunkin’ Donuts bag but got into buying fancy coffees and grinding my own beans and now I can’t go back.

My apologies for the unnecessary ramble.

I was considering the fermzilla at one point but even then...I guess I am in the “best fermenter is the one you have” camp.

I have an ss brew bucket that I like, but am interested in pressure fermenting. Not really ideal with the standard lid. Guess I could get that chronical lid but, man....all this stainless steel is expensive and, other than how cool and sanitary stainless is, I can’t really tell a taste difference between stainless and plastic and I since I have never fermented under pressure or done a closed transfer and still make delicious beer, is it really a rabbit hole worth going down? What I don’t know won’t hurt me. I did this with coffee. I really liked just the regular Dunkin’ Donuts bag but got into buying fancy coffees and grinding my own beans and now I can’t go back.

My apologies for the unnecessary ramble.

I was considering the fermzilla at one point but even then...I guess I am in the “best fermenter is the one you have” camp.
Unless you want to do warm lagers pressure isn’t really a big deal. Keep the bucket sealed up and you will be good. It is nice for my ocd to see a stable pressure gauge, even if it’s only a pound or two though.

Unless you want to do warm lagers pressure isn’t really a big deal. Keep the bucket sealed up and you will be good. It is nice for my ocd to see a stable pressure gauge, even if it’s only a pound or two.
I was more interested in closed transfers but that is more because I am addicted to gear and diy stuff and I just want to say I’ve done it to know the process, I guess. I have to talk myself out of things because my process works and it’s no big deal. I just love experimenting and building things.

I was more interested in closed transfers but that is more because I am addicted to gear and diy stuff and I just want to say I’ve done it to know the process, I guess. I have to talk myself out of things because my process works and it’s no big deal. I just love experimenting and building things.
You should be able to do closed transfers with the bucket. Hook up the spigot to the keg beer in and run a line from the keg out up to the bucket vent to keep the pressure equalized and let gravity do the work. If both are full of co2 to start with you are just swapping locations of the beer/co2. You could also do a pressure closed transfer but will have to keep the pressure really low.

I
You should be able to do closed transfers with the bucket. Hook up the spigot to the keg beer in and run a line from the keg out up to the bucket vent to keep the pressure equalized and let gravity do the work. If both are full of co2 to start with you are just swapping locations of the beer/co2. You could also do a pressure closed transfer but will have to keep the pressure really low.
I appreciate the advice. I’m not trying to hijack the thread. I have a spunding valve. I’m about to experiment with using that with the brew bucket and keg for closed transfers.

I just re-read the OP and realized the question was on larger units. Sorry to side track the conversation.

Not necessarily a side track. I do the same with 1/2 bbl sankeys for 12-14 gallon batches. Works like a charm. The floating dip tube setup you have is the simplest way to go. I went a little further and mocked up my own floating dip tube configuration that allows me to do purged dry hop dosing with a couple extra tri clamp parts.

BABA4E1D-1E31-4FCF-8D8B-9362599E7936.jpeg

Very happy with my Spike. The band is no issue at all .

I Have a couple ssbrewtech chronicals and a spike.
I prefer the spike also.
Be sure to install the gasket correctly on the spike lid, I had it on upside down at first and thought I was going to hate it. Once I put on right side up I’ve had zero issues since.

I have a Blichmann with a band and while it works well it is really clumsy to get on just right. I also have a 1/2 bbl SsBrewtech Chronicle that I really liked until I got the 1/2 bbl SsBrewtech Unitank. Liked it so much I bought another! Now I’m gonna sell the Blichmann and Chronicle and buy 2 more Unitanks.

Not necessarily a side track. I do the same with 1/2 bbl sankeys for 12-14 gallon batches. Works like a charm. The floating dip tube setup you have is the simplest way to go. I went a little further and mocked up my own floating dip tube configuration that allows me to do purged dry hop dosing with a couple extra tri clamp parts.

View attachment 713856
Nice setup for dry hopping!

There are some very sweet setups in this thread. Love the dry hopping set up too. I do closed transfers in glass carboys all the time with one of those orange caps but recently got a Fermzilla All Rounder and am convinced for the money there is nothing better. 100% closed transfer and pressure fermentation all for 50 bucks plus the transfer kit for 20 bucks.

Also super easy to clean which is why I wanted to get away from glass carboys. Now for the O2 free dry hopping issue. Kegland makes a solution for this but I have been trying to find the parts in the US and absolute came to a dead end. The other method I will try is the hops in a bag with a magnet method.

But at the end of the day I agreee this is a rabbit hole and if you like the beer your producing than you have already won! Cheers, Erik

Sounds like the old Blichmann fermenter "extension," i.e. the way they increased fermented volume by replacing the normal lid with a lid extension. If so, I would be wary of that middle gasket. I know three breweries that use or have used them, and none were able to do pressurized transfers, because as soon as they applied pressure, the fermenters would leak at the gasket. If this happens with a normal lid gasket, it's unfortunate. When it happens with a gasket midway down the fermenter, you lose beer.
my thoughts exactly and a road i don't want to go down

I have a Blichmann with a band and while it works well it is really clumsy to get on just right. I also have a 1/2 bbl SsBrewtech Chronicle that I really liked until I got the 1/2 bbl SsBrewtech Unitank. Liked it so much I bought another! Now I’m gonna sell the Blichmann and Chronicle and buy 2 more Unitanks.
winner

I own a SS brew tech that conical that i modified by drilling into the fermenter and attaching the chilling coil much like the BME version.

Another happy spike customer here. No issues with the band and like the ability to get the thing completely open for cleaning and inspecting. Even if you CIP it is nice to be able to visually inspect all surfaces.

Size wise I have the CF15 and usually manage to end up with three full corny kegs out of a batch, even with reasonable dry hop additions.

Another happy spike customer here. No issues with the band and like the ability to get the thing completely open for cleaning and inspecting. Even if you CIP it is nice to be able to visually inspect all surfaces.

Size wise I have the CF15 and usually manage to end up with three full corny kegs out of a batch, even with reasonable dry hop additions.
What do you with THAT much beer?
Or do you only brew 3-4 times a year?

I have multipl
What do you with THAT much beer?
Or do you only brew 3-4 times a year?

It all gets drunk :) I have multiple beer drinkers at home and share some with friends but mostly we go through it here at home. OP was talking about 0.5 to 1.0 BBL fermentors... I appreciate that the Spike CF15 can deliver 15 gallons to the kegs. To do so with a heavily dry hopped beer I have to start somewhere north of 17.5 gallons in the fermentor. The CF15 can accomodate just about 18 gallons if filled to the lid gasket.

Back