What effect will my stuck mash have on the final product?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
Long story short, havent brewed in over a month and was excited to pull a double brewday today. The second recipe of the day was a rye saison from the database.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/how-rye-i-am-rye-saison-2011-1st-place-best-show-hbt-comp-238831/

Followed the recipe, but was not paying attention to the fact that I had 26 lbs of grain and only a 10 gallon cooler to mash it in. Since everything was already set up, I decided to try it. Halfway through it stuck. Eventually I ended up scooping and straining, then re straining, then combining...you get the picture. Halfway through this mess I decided to just switch and mash in my bk. I have two converted kegs and one has a fb and a level 3 filter for when I use whole hops. I dumped all the mash back together and finished sparging.

While I was combining and straining, I basically split the mash between a cooler and two kegs. I was not paying attention and the burners were on low the entire time. Did I basically pull 2 separate decoctions? Once I realized the burners were on I just went with it. The grains never scorched but the one keg did start to boil.

What effect will this have on the beer?

Thanks
Alex

I'd estimate you'll end up darker than intended and at a higher FG, which is not great for Saison. Did you add any simple sugars? You may want to to try to thin it out. You'll probably also get some unintentional caramel notes from maillard reaction.

Darker doesn't bother me. I added 3 ounces of chocolate during the sparge for color.

I have 1.5lbs of honey left over I was going to add.

Back