What does Strke in at 160 Deg mean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
I will be attempting my first partial mash on Monday (weather permitting) and I was reviewing the recipe. It reads as follows:

Mash in 2 gallons of water at a temperature of 154 degrees for 45 minutes. (check temp every 5 min)

Strike in at 160 degrees.

Rinse the grains with 2 gallons of hot water around 170 degrees.

Add in extract and bring the total boil volume to 6.25 gallons.
Bring to a boil and start hopping.

The hops are 1.0 oz of Goldings added during boil, boiled 10 min, and .75 oz of Northdown added during boil, boiled for 60 min.

The one part I'm not quite sure what it means is the strike temp of 160, does that mean bring the initial water to 160 and then start mashing with it holding at 154?

I am not nearly experienced as many of the other members, but in this case it looks like you bring the water up to 160 degrees and then begin your mash. Your mash is obviously significantly cooler than the heated water and has a substantial volume so it brings down the water temperature when you strike it into the water. If you add mash when your water is 154 then it will drop to 148....blah, blah.

I've followed instructions that just had the grains steeping in cold water all the way until it heated up to 170 and kept under 170 for 20 minutes. It is good to practice the temperature at which you strike your grains, but just keep it all under 170 for at least 20 minutes and your brew will turn out fine in regards to that process.

Heat your mash water to 160F then stir in your grains. Since your grains are cooler than the water, you will lose some heat when you add them (dough in). This volume of water is referred to as "strike water."

Brulosopher said:
Heat your mash water to 160F then stir in your grains. Since your grains are cooler than the water, you will lose some heat when you add them (dough in). This volume of water is referred to as "strike water."

This. But I also like to physically strike my mash, just to remind it who the boss is. I prefer striking it with my mash paddle, but for larger grain bills I will use my fist. That way, it knows I'm not scared of a little heat in my home brewery.

"Come at me, bro" is also an acceptable taunt while striking your mash.

Most recipies will simply say " mash at ____ temp. The strike temp varies depending on the temp and volume of the grains. I usually use the tasty brew calculator to calculate my mash infusion. Poke in the desired mash temp, and the amount and temp of the dry grains and it will pop out the strike temp; the temp at which you dough in, or add the grains to the heated water. Remember to keep the water below 170F when the grains are in contact, since at that temp the enzimes are denatured or deactivated.

JohnnySardonic said:
This. But I also like to physically strike my mash, just to remind it who the boss is. I prefer striking it with my mash paddle, but for larger grain bills I will use my fist. That way, it knows I'm not scared of a little heat in my home brewery.

"Come at me, bro" is also an acceptable taunt while striking your mash.

Lol. Good idea! I'll definitely be using this technique

I'd recommend heating your strike water a but more than this, say around 165 or so, to make sure you're hot enough. Stir good and check temp. It's way easier to cool off, with a few ice cubes or just stirring, than it is to heat up more if you're low.

Latest posts

Back