What does everyone do with LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limprizol

Reaction score
Hey i was wondering what everyone does with left over lme.
How long does it stay good for if at all?
What do you store it in?

I use a foodsaver and vacuum seal my leftovers. I really just have an obsession with the foodsaver and vacuum seal anything I can!!

Just noticed you said LME....Don't use LME, but I would still vacuum seal it in a mason jar.

I have a big container of it that won't fit in my fridge. I heard a few people on here say to put a bit of vodka on it to form a protective layer. I didn't have vodka around so i put a bit of rum. It's the same concept, kill anything (mold) that may come in contact with it.

I have a big container of it that won't fit in my fridge. I heard a few people on here say to put a bit of vodka on it to form a protective layer. I didn't have vodka around so i put a bit of rum. It's the same concept, kill anything (mold) that may come in contact with it.

I think the rum may impart sweetness and flavors into the lme that you wouldn't get with vodka. This isn't necessarily bad, just giving you a heads up. Have you done this before?

-kap

I think the rum may impart sweetness and flavors into the lme that you wouldn't get with vodka. This isn't necessarily bad, just giving you a heads up. Have you done this before?

-kap

I figured that, but I also figured that it's so little rum for such a large amount of LME that i doubt it will make a difference.

And like you said, a little rum flavour in my beer doesn't have to be a bad thing.

A: make more beer.

B: adjust recipe so there isn't leftover LME. Use DME for anything that might make leftovers.

C: not enough for A? make a braggot - buy some honey.

Depending on how much you have left over, you could use it to carbonate your beer when you bottle. I'm not sure of how much it would take, though. I've never carbonated with LME but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Back