What does a few degree temperature drop do to fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I'm not worried about it. It happens in all my beers. I brew in a bag and no matter what I put around my kettle while I mash I lose 3-4 degrees. What does that do to a beer? I was considering getting a big cooler to put the pot in (I only do 1.5 gallon batches now) because when I was doing 5 gallon traditional batches I never really had much heat loss from the cooler I was mashing in. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra effort. I'm very detail and process oriented so any deviation from what I'm shooting for drives me nuts. I'm doing a cream ale now that I was shooting for a 150 mash temp And overshot it by 3 degrees because I wasn't paying attention to the temperature while heating and lost patience waiting for it to cool down. So I'm just curious what result is from a mash that drops in temperature

Also curious what MORE of a couple degrees drop does. I've had some that started in the low 150s the dropped to the high 140s after an hour and half

Also curious what MORE of a couple degrees drop does. I've had some that started in the low 150s the dropped to the high 140s after an hour and half

The better questions might be, why are you mashing for 90 minutes?

In reality, practically no difference (maybe a slightly more fermentable wort).

The better questions might be, why are you mashing for 90 minutes?

In reality, practically no difference (maybe a slightly more fermentable wort).

True that most of the fermentation is completed within the first 15-20 minutes but it is not uncommon for those recipes that require a drier, more fully attenuated beer with a thinner mouth feel to call for a 90 minute mash.

True that most of the fermentation is completed within the first 15-20 minutes but it is not uncommon for those recipes that require a drier, more fully attenuated beer with a thinner mouth feel to call for a 90 minute mash.

The recipe may call for it, but that doesn't mean it's necessary. If you want a beer a drier, thinner beer you are much better off replacing barley gravity points with sugar.

If you are dropping 3 to 4 degrees over 90 minutes I doubt there is any descernable effect to the beer. Your higher mash-in temp will have more impact. The general rule of thimb is that a lower mash temp will yield a more fementable wort that results in thinner mouthfeel in the finished beer.

I dont think need you need to change your setup, just start off a little hotter to compensate for the drop in temp. Over time you will be able to find a temp that gives you the results you want.

When I mash at 150 and lower it does take more than 60min to get complete conversion, I usually give up at 90min whether it is completed or not. I use a refractometer to check conversion. A quick stir every 15min also helps to speed things up.

Back