What do you use to remove fine scratches in stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After almost two years of use my conical (and some of its accessories) are showing fine scratches on the exterior that I'd like to remove.

A few are from dropped TC parts, those are deep enough to catch your fingernail on, and I could live with those. But most are much finer, probably from using the wrong side of a Scotchbrite pad/sponge combo.

I'd like to get this back to its original mirror finish. What works for you?

Never tried it myself, but you probably need a metal polish paste. Polishing compound labeled for SS should be pretty easy to find online

Ugh. Scotchbrite pads and polished SS really don't get along - at all. Actually there's not much that can be used on bright SS that doesn't dull it - like, BKF, Scotchbrite pads, or ss "wool".

If the FV in question is bright I agree a polishing regimen is called for...

Cheers!

Yeah, it was polished when new.

I have a buffer and a wool pad, so I'll be in good shape once I figure out what to put on it.
Something that is aggressive enough to be effective, without leaving a scratch pattern.
Anybody actually done it? What did you use?

Jeeze, I wouldn't know what to recommend for compounds and technique to get a kettle bright.
I've only polished corny kegs - and the result looked great give that context, but nothing approaching my kettles.
Maybe Google-Fu will work? :)

Cheers!

BKF will make it shiney, and that might be all you need. But if you really want to take out scratches from SS, you need to remove material. You'll need an angle grinder, polishing pads for it, and polishing compounds. I think I've bought them at Home depot. Start with a course one, then follow that with a finer polishing compound.

Got the hardware, just need the right compound(s)!
IMG_0176.JPG

BKF is hella abrasive - way coarser than true polishing compound. It's a scouring compound, not a polishing compound, after all.
I would never use it on a chrome-bright kettle like my Blichmann G1s...

Cheers!

Back