What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_p

Reaction score
I am on my second batch of beer now. After a week in the primary fermenter I was not seeing anymore activity so I moved it to the secondary. But now I am seeing much more activity than I ever did in the primary as well as much more trub at the bottom. I am thinking that it would be wise to move it into yet a 3rd stage where it looks like it just sat in the primary until it was shaken up some by moving it to the secondary. I have read that sometimes the yest needs to be shaken so I think that was the case for me this time. If you have any advice that would be great, but as of now I am just going to treat it as its still in the primary.

I had this happen to porter of mine a few weeks back. On the suggestion of Orfy I racked it to a 3rd fermenter after 2 weeks in the secondary. It tooka while but the beer did ferment out and is around 5.5%. From now on I will always take a hydro reading before racking to the secondary.

Thank all of you for your info. I am still trying to get the hang of taking hydro readings. I know its simple but for some reason I have not been able to get the hang of it yet. This is only my second batch so give me a few more batches and I will have the hang of it.

also a lot of times when you rack to secondary you mix up the yeast enough to get them going again for awhile. have no fear be patient and enjoy!!!! you should wait till the bubbling is done then give a few more days to finish.

Sounds to me like you might have racked to the secondary to soon. Maybe you had a stuck or very slow ferm going and the agitation of racking to the secondary kicked it in gear and you really had you "primary"ferm in your secondary. ;)

invest in a hydrometer and life will be much easier :)

Latest posts

Back