What do you think of this set up (fryer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the top of that thing, virtually makes boilovers null. 35qt will be plenty for a 5gal boil, I use a 32qt tamale steamer for 5 gal boils.

It may be difficult to swap out the drain on it, it's worth looking into though if not only for the pot and burner setup.

I really like how that's set up. I have been keeping my eye on it at Lowe's waiting for it to go on sale. No luck yet.

Read the Reviews on the Link you posted, it sounds like most were pretty unhappy with it.;)

You can also insulate your brewpot (outside) to help bring you to a FB even quicker. I wrapped mine and it works like a champ.
-Me

You can also insulate your brewpot (outside) to help bring you to a FB even quicker. I wrapped mine and it works like a champ.
-Me

What did you wrap it with? I tried the aluminum bubble wrap stuff and it just melted. I'm trying to insolate my 55 gallon kettle so any info would be great.

As for the burner and kettle posted here. My thoughts are that it would work but leaves no room for growth (without major mods). Also the valve on it is not any good though I think you can remove it and add a ball valve in it's place.

What I used was the heating/cooling duct insulation that you can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot. It is basically just a sticky foam with aluminum foil around it. I would suggest also getting some of the aluminum tape to help do the edges as well. (It comes in a big roll) and you can pick it up for well under $20 (Which is enough to do 2 kettles)

NOTE - Do not put this insulation on the very bottom of your kettle, and leave at least 1/2 to 1" uncovered on the bottom of your kettle. I left a little less than this and it got singed. (And yes, this stuff stinks when burned) It can easily be trimmed if needed though :)

I guess I need to get some pics of my rig up one of these days eh?
Well, Xmas is tomorrow...
-Me

Make sure you diable the SAF - T feature. It is a pain. It will keep on shutting off and turning on because of the heat sensor and it is hard to maintain a really good boil with that feature.

I have natural gas at my house, hooked up to an outdoor barbecue. Are there burners available for NG? Anybody use a NG system? Is it legal to be able to attach and detach natural gas supply from such a set up? I don't know if a big brew pot would fit on the grill if I just opted to do the boil there.

Read the Reviews on the Link you posted, it sounds like most were pretty unhappy with it.;)

Keep in mind that most of these reviews are from people actually cooking turkeys in them, not us yahoo's who brew our golden liquid on them. :D

Make sure you diable the SAF - T feature. It is a pain. It will keep on shutting off and turning on because of the heat sensor and it is hard to maintain a really good boil with that feature.

I just bought one of these. Any idea on how to disable the SAF-T feature? Just cut the wire?

I've got that exact fryer. Used it for a couple of boils, never had an issue with boil over even with 6 gallons in there. The only thing I have issues with is sometimes it seems to take longer to boil then I'd like. I may not have the flame adjusted quite properly (sometimes there's some orange). I do like the idea of adding some insulation to it though.

Keep in mind that most of these reviews are from people actually cooking turkeys in them, not us yahoo's who brew our golden liquid on them. :D

And also keep in mind that chances are these people didnt insulate their pots either. That was the FIRST thing I did to mine and I have yet to have an issue getting a full boil. (Usually takes me close to 20 minutes to get 6.5/7 gals rolling) And thats with the lid off.
-Me

THREAD! COME BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Can anyone give any updates on this piece of equipment? I'm moving back to the States in April and I'm very tempted to spring for this as my brew setup. Amazon currently has it with free shipping for under $90. It seems like all I need to do is insulate it and I gots instant boilage (or at least compared to my current 40 minutes to come to a boil on a small stove in an apartment setup)

Is it worth it?

Cheers!:mug:

The reviews would say otherwise. Here's some quotes about boil time and the "saf-t" features:

Thsi product is good for first timers with no expirience. I have not used it for frying yet, but I have had a few seafood boils. The seafood came out great. The one problem that I had, and this kept it from getting that fourth star, is the burner is weak and that timer has to be pushed in every 15 minutes. I just zip tied the thing down so I could keep the fire going. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get the water boiling. So start early. As soon as I put the crabs/shrimp in the water stopped boiling and it took me another 30 minutes to get it boiling again. Other than that I love the tip guard especially with small kids and dogs around it. the spout makes for an easy cleanup. Oh, it should come with a basket, too.

The burner is just hot enough. If there is more than a slight breeze you'll need to set up some type of wind block or you'll have trouble keeping the oil at >300°. I cooked a 12 pound bird no problem, then a 20 pound bird as well. But that 20 pound bird just barely fit, and after dropping it in the oil dropped from 350° to below 300° and it took me 20 minutes to get that temp back up over 300°.
I understand engineers tried to make this unit safer with a timer on the gas flow where you need to press it every 15 minutes to keep the gas on. But, pweeease, you can't fix stupid. It is annoying and I'm taking that out before I use this again.
The drain spout is helpful. On Thanksgiving day it made it easier to drain the oil through a paper cone filter to recycle for Christmas day.

I bought this cooker last year for Thanksgiving and had to end up bringing the Turkey inside to finish cooking since we could not get the oil hot enough. This year at Thanksgiving we tried again and it was a success. Oil got hot enough and Turkey cooked right on time.
We had such a great experience with Thanksgiving 2010 we decided to try again for Christmas. However, as I started to heat the oil, I realized the pot had a small hole in the bottom and we were losing oil. Needless to say, we didn't have Turkey for dinner. I would not recommend ths product to anyone. It has design issues and durability is not very good. I would have thought you could get more than 3 uses out of the cooker.

First time we ever fried a turkey so wanted this pot. We have two other burners, Cooker was great, easy to use and great for cleaning. Pot is not as durable as one with hope as it gets little dings in it. Overall great buy

Bought this for Thanksgiving. I was anticipating a 1 hr cook time for the Turkey but I could never get the oil hot enough. The cooker has great features but the burner is so weak. Had to eventually take the pot and put it on the Gas grill which was way more powerfullGuess you can just throw all those sfaety features out if it cant even get the oil hot enough to cook.

That's just about every review for this product on the Lowe's site. Hope it helps.

I actually use that set up for brewing beer. I would definitely recommend it. The pot is obviously large enough for full boils with some room to spare to prevent boil overs. The major drawback to the set up is that it is over engineered from a safety stand point. It has a thermo sensor that rests against the outside of the pot and if the temperature climbs to quickly or if things get "too hot" it temporarily reduces the flame down to the size of a pilot light. There is an easy way around it though. When you first fire up the burner, it will allow you to open it all the way up for a full flame. While you have full flame, cut the wire that connects to the temp sensor. This will allow you to have full control of the flame and you will be all set. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. For the money, you can't beat it.

Thanks for the input. I was really curious 'cause some people say it's awesome while others absolutely hate it. I really like the safety point of it and I don't mind the safety features. I do plan on insulating it so I think I'll go with this set up. Also, the price is quite right for it!

THREAD! COME BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Can anyone give any updates on this piece of equipment? I'm moving back to the States in April and I'm very tempted to spring for this as my brew setup. Amazon currently has it with free shipping for under $90. It seems like all I need to do is insulate it and I gots instant boilage (or at least compared to my current 40 minutes to come to a boil on a small stove in an apartment setup)

Is it worth it?

Cheers!:mug:

Did you go through with this purchase? I just received the N. Amer. Outdoors SAF-T fryer for Christmas yesterday. I'll probably try my first batch within a week or two. Let me know how it went! I'll jump back on here after after I use mine and give you all an update.

Did you go through with this purchase? I just received the N. Amer. Outdoors SAF-T fryer for Christmas yesterday. I'll probably try my first batch within a week or two. Let me know how it went! I'll jump back on here after after I use mine and give you all an update.

Well did you try it out?

I have natural gas at my house, hooked up to an outdoor barbecue. Are there burners available for NG? Anybody use a NG system? Is it legal to be able to attach and detach natural gas supply from such a set up? I don't know if a big brew pot would fit on the grill if I just opted to do the boil there.

I don't know what the code is in Florida, so i can't address the legality of it.

Yes, there are NG burners available. There are also connectors available that meet code for NG. I don't think I've seen any quick-connects for NG, but then I haven't looked either. I know PsychoBrew offers their rigs in either NG or propane.

If you were to get creative, you could make a brew stand out of cinder blocks and grill burners hard-piped into the house NG system. Then you would have the flexibility to make it as big or as small as you need. Add a NG regulator in-line and you have a very workable brew stand with a ready fuel source.

Back