What do you think I should expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for a few years. I have 81 batches and feel like a slow learner.

I keep track of all beers and the process on a spreadsheet. I also check them in Beer Smith. 4 gal boil. 1 gal near freezing RO top off water. BIAB, Partial Mash, ferment 60-66... mostly US05 sprinkled. Have used both StarSan and Iodophor. I have had about 1 in 5 beers turn out to be fantastic. I love to share a few of these (sparingly) with friends. 2-3 in 5 are those that I will drink by myself and 1 in five I will either choke down or use in cooking or let it age.

If aged 6 months to a year, about 1 in 3 turns out good, 2 in 3 you can drink because your name is on it and 1 in 3 you pitch.

Today I had a chance to brew in a log cabin about 2 hrs south of my house. I am thinking .. here I come!

When I start my partial mash, I realize I didn't bring the hops! (palm to forehead)

So I have about 2 lbs of Maris Otter, and 8oz each of pale chocolate, crystal 60 and special roast mashing for an hour. I will add DME to this later.

But here I am with no hops. It is late afternoon and I decide to take this weak wort back north to my house. I have an evening appointment and cannot brew this evening.

So about 7pm I put this weak wort outside in the 37 degree weather. My logic is less bugs will get in it at 37 than if I let it come to room temp inside. Tomorrow I will bring it to a boil and add DME, hops, and wyeast 1028.

What should I expect?

Expect to have made beer! Relatively malt forward beer.

Don't sweat it, you have made a historical example of beer - dry hop it and call it even.

Let us know how it turns out...

Back