what do you think about this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggins22

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

these is the new batch i want to make. any thoughts? i want a easy drinking fruity Pale Ale for hot summer days.

Thanks,

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.050
Type: Extract FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.85 %
Calories: 164 IBU's: 41.57
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 3.00 Gal
Color: 8.8 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.092 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.00 lbs 70.59 % Pale Liquid Extract 45 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 5.88 % Victory Malt 45 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 2.94 % Barley, Flaked 45 mins 1.032
0.25 lbs 2.94 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L 45 mins 1.035
1.50 lbs 17.65 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 45 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 25.72 Zythos 60 mins 10.90
0.50 ozs 9.88 Centennial 30 mins 10.90
0.50 ozs 3.85 Cascade 10 mins 9.00
0.50 ozs 2.12 Cascade 5 mins 9.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Cascade 0 mins 9.00
0.50 ozs 0.00 Centennial 0 mins 10.90

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Zythos is really JUST an aroma hop. You don't want to use it as your bittering hop. It will overpower the rest of the hop schedule.

If you want to use the Zythos, move it to the 5 min addition. Cascade is good as a neutral bittering hop that will allow your flavoring and aroma hops to shine through. Use 1.0 oz of Cascade @ 60 and move the 1.0 oz of Zythos to 5 or 0.

You are going to steep those specialty grains right, or mini mash? Not adding them to the boil at 45 min.?

I'm wondering, what will make this 'fruity'? I supposed racking that on a few pounds of cherrys will do the trick- or something like that? Otherwise- im kinda aiming for the same style of beer- one that SWMBO will enjoy- and want more.

If you're not doing partial/mini mash, I see no reason to steep 2-row since you won't extract fermentables.

Zythos is really JUST an aroma hop. You don't want to use it as your bittering hop. It will overpower the rest of the hop schedule.

I agree that I wouldn't want to use Zythos on bittering, but how do you figure it would overpower the rest of the hop schedule?

That's about 60% of the IBUs coming from a very pungnant citrusy hop. I think that hop flavor as the bittering addition would overpower the lighter citrus and floral notes of the Cascade and Centennial. Whenever I want the flavoring and aroma hops to shine though, especially in an APA, IPA, or Pale Ale, I make sure to use a very neutral bittering hop.

Magnum is my go-to bittering hop for beers that are intended to be fruity, floraly, and/or citrusy, and I like going with a noble hop (Saaz or Hallertau primarily) for bittering if the rest of the hop schedule is piney, resiny, and/or spicey.

In my experience, I haven't gotten much of a noticeable flavor contribution from my bittering hops (aside from Pacific Gem). I really don't think it would be an issue, but YMMV.

Thanks everybody,

I wil take another look at using zythos as my buttering hop.

Also, yes I am steeling specialty grains , not boiling them (not sure why the program wrote it like that)

Hey all,

It's been about 7 days and I moved my batch into another vessel for the second fermentation.

The software in using say that the Fg should be 1.013, the problem It's already down to 1.000 (and may be still dropping)

I would have thought I would of needed at least 2 weeks to get to that level?

I guess my question is where (if at all) did I go wrong and what does this mean?

The gravity is lower because the yeast is eating up the sugar.. And it's stops when only non fermentable sugar is left.. Since my OG was correct (1.050) and I'm using extract.. How is my FG so low? What is the yeast eating that I'm not taking into account?

Umm, you're reading should never be that low...
What temp are you taking your reading at and what are you using?

Did you happen to add any honey, fruit or other simple sugars that aren't listed in your original grain bill? That would do it.

Back