What do you love about your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yah know I was just sitting here enjoying a little alone time (something I don't get very often) And was thinking about my store and other LHBS stores around the nation. I am ALWAYS trying to make my store better for my customers both in house and online and I was wondering what exactly it is you totally LOVE about your LHBS? My store is fairly new and of course it can be improved upon for sure. If you could say 1 thing, taking customer service out of it because we always try and make that #1, but other than that is there a product or a procedure or anything really that your LHBS does or has in stock, that can help me make my place better for you and for my in house customers?

I think this thread will help you as the customers and all of us LHBS owners alike. We can all learn a few things here and gain from the input.

Cheers
Jay

The guys that work there are awesome. Always friendly (usually hungover) and helpful. If they don't have what I need in the store, they'll order it special for me. They trade me my backyard hops for free grain. Oh, and I get a 10% discount just because.

The guys that work there are awesome. Always friendly (usually hungover) and helpful. If they don't have what I need in the store, they'll order it special for me. They trade me my backyard hops for free grain. Oh, and I get a 10% discount just because.

They trade you your back yard hops for free grain? Really? What do they do with the hops?

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Jay

They have this big fancy mill and scale and will weigh out the *exact* amount, exactly. It's kind of their thing. They have this scale and they want you to know they can weigh stuff, exactly. You want a pound? How about 1.07 pounds? We can weight that.

They have all sorts of grains and hops and yeasts. Even when I know what I want, I still look around to see what they have. Whole leaf hops. I'm hooked on that now, and I'm not even a hop head.

Every part and every piece of every part. Need a lid with a grommet? They have it. Just need the grommet? They have it.

And you wanna make some weird stuff with snowberries and the wings of a moth? It's like an apothecary in there. No spelt though. But if you wanna brew with oats, holy cow, what kind of oats?

The other one I go to is really a home brew corner in a general store. They have a homemade mill and you're pretty much on your own. I like that place because it's in and out and still has everything I need.

I'm not picky. Sell me what I need at a decent price and I'm on my way.

I've always loved the invaluable professional advice, they take time to talk to you and tell you what you need instead of selling you crap that you don't. Now they have their license for brewing and now brew and serve there own beer, you can drink a pint while shopping!

Thanks for this thread Jaybird, as a new LHBS owner i am definitely interested in what i can do to keep customers coming back, my goal thus far has been to make it a place where I would like to shop, but there is always more to learn and do to keep customers happy with their experience.

for me, one's an hour away (we'll cal A) and the other is 45 minutes away (we'll call B). A has 50 & 55 pound sacks of base malt, but a poor yeast selection. they have a fair amount of gear/equipment, but poor specialty malt selection. they are geared more toward wine and know little about beer. B has a poor equipment selection, but they have a great malt selection & decent yeast selection. they will also sell you any grain they have in 50-55 pound sack if you want. they have nothing for wine. another plus for B is that they are a brewery with a tap room. but my favorite LHBS was in Wyoming. whatever you wanted, they would get it for you. they were very laid back, held demonstrations, and would always want to trade home brews with any customer that was willing. they weren't very knowledgeable when they first opened their doors, but learned quite a lot in a very short time and would give solid advice on what they knew and ask about what they didn't. I miss Pour Brothers.

Thanks for this thread Jaybird, as a new LHBS owner i am definitely interested in what i can do to keep customers coming back, my goal thus far has been to make it a place where I would like to shop, but there is always more to learn and do to keep customers happy with their experience.

You bet man that is what its all about. As a business owner we WANT to help our customers. I mean if we didn't we shouldn't have ever opened out doors to them.

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

Cheers
Jay

My lhbs has a local professional brewer working on weekends, I love talking to him, even if you can bring one or two in to give a free talk would be good.

There is A LOT my lhbs can improve on, but I still support them every chance I get, because if they go out of business, I'll have nowhere to get a quick last minute item.

Things I like:
They let me weigh my own grain
They let me mill my own grain (which I now do at my house)
Prices are reasonable

Things I like:
Prices are reasonable

I think every home brew store should let you weigh and crush your own grain.
It was fun for me to do when I first started brewing and it seemed like it was just part of the brewing process.. Good call Grannyknot Thanks for the input..

Cheers
Jay

There is A LOT my lhbs can improve on, but I still support them every chance I get, because if they go out of business, I'll have nowhere to get a quick last minute item.

Things I like:
Prices are reasonable

+1 on this. But Its also the personal things. The two guys that own it always call me and a lot of their customers by name. I always bring along a few home brews when I visit because besides getting ingredients we will sit and talk and sample each others beer and offer feedback (they usually have about 3 beers on tap) They also hold regular brewing demos to make the newbs feel comfortable.

+1 on this. But Its also the personal things. The two guys that own it always call me and a lot of their customers by name. I always bring along a few home brews when I visit because besides getting ingredients we will sit and talk and sample each others beer and offer feedback (they usually have about 3 beers on tap) They also hold regular brewing demos to make the newbs feel comfortable.

I really like it when I frequent a business and the staff make it a point to remember my name. My staff is great at this! I love hearing them talk to customers like they are friends, well because they are!
I have always been reluctant to put beers on tap as its no legal to do, but we are starting to realize we need to do this as well. We are going to take it a step further and just put in a 3BBL brewery and tap house. :mug:

Thanks for all the comments guys. All of us LHBS owners can all learn from this.

Cheers
Jay

I'd say if you treat your shop like you treat HBT, your shop will be fine. I'd frequent it. Greeting customers as friends is pretty key, that's one of the main things I love about mine. Also, if you're not sold on having beers on tap, at least be open to having customers bring in their own homebrews to share/diagnose/praise. Mine does that and it is a huge help to new brewers.

Friendly staff:
- it's nice and i feel welcomed when i walk in and the staff says hi (and makes me want to spend more). They also always offer me a beer, i assume from one of the weekend tutorials they offer.
- All it takes is one d-bag comment from a hungover employee to a new homebrewer to sour the relationship. I remember starting out and some of my questions may have seemed knuckleheaded to a experienced brewer but i didn't know.
- I do pick up a sense of "you have what kind of gear-snottiness" when asked about my setup. I like DIY just as much as brewing! But there isn't a lot of that in coastal socal.
- being able to take a bottle in and have people critique it.

The only thing I love about my lhbs current is the location. Even a nice "hello" or "what you brewing next?" ,might stop me from driving a half hour away to the next shop. Admittedly, location is a very strong force.

Having a desire to help and encourage noobs is important, and being able to give feedback on a beer is invaluable.

My LHBS is Northern Brewer. Occasionally I go to Midwest Supplies. And I frequent Austin Homebrew when I feel like it. Alas, there is no L in my HBS, as I'm located in Northwest Alabama.

Friendly staff:
- it's nice and i feel welcomed when i walk in and the staff says hi (and makes me want to spend more). They also always offer me a beer, i assume from one of the weekend tutorials they offer.
- All it takes is one d-bag comment from a hungover employee to a new homebrewer to sour the relationship. I remember starting out and some of my questions may have seemed knuckleheaded to a experienced brewer but i didn't know.
- I do pick up a sense of "you have what kind of gear-snottiness" when asked about my setup. I like DIY just as much as brewing! But there isn't a lot of that in coastal socal.
- being able to take a bottle in and have people critique it.

Man I totally agree about your comment on NEW BREWERS. Its funny (not really) because we "HAD" an employee who talked down to a few new brewers and I got rid of him so fast! Huge NO NO in our place! We were ALL new brewers at one point and totally deserve to be treated a little special. Even though we cater to the new brewer and do whatever we can to assist them in making their first beer a slam dunk, we do like the guys that have been doing this for a long time that can come in get what they want, they don't NEED to have their hands held (unless they want it) and most of them prefer getting their own hops and crushing their own grain etc, anyway.

Cheers
Jay

I love that I can order online to .001pounds of grain. I can pay C.O.D. They will pull my order together. Mixing grain by recipe or individually depending on choice selected at ordering. Then I just have to stop in pay and pick everything up. Easy in and out. Unless I feel like browsing then will order when I get there.

One thing I appreciate about my LHBS is it's always the same guy (owner) in there. That tells me that a) he works hard, b) cares about his business, and c) cares about his customers. The trip in there after my first brew was very informative because he remembered which kit I got, what equipment I got, and my experience level. If I don't get to talk with the guy every time I'm in there it's because he's busy helping someone else. As a customer that's very comforting.

There's a store in PA my family goes to (in fact the owner might be a member of the boards here) that has a fully stocked supply of home made wines (and beers?) for customers to try when they come in.
"Oh you were looking at getting this kit? It's great if you want it to taste like this *sample*, but you said you were looking for more of this taste *another sample* so you might be better off getting this kit here."
I always thought that was cool.

I had three choices; a brew and grow, a LHBS, and a nursery. The nursery has your basic stuff like kits and siphon. They were reasonably priced and my work was close, but still 45 minutes from home. If I needed cheap equipment I would head there. Very little yeast or grains.

Brew and Grow was 20 minutes from home, but it felt very impersonal. I'd go in and not get any questions answered. If I wanted to "grow stuff" (ahem) they would talk to me all day. I think they had brewing as a secondary to the growing. Which is fine and all, but I really wasn't interested in different soil and fertilizer types. I didn't need a hydro setup in my basement.

The LHBS was about 30 minutes away before they moved. However, once I found out where they were I never looked back. All my purchases have gone through them in the last year. It's locally owned, beer and wine focused, tons of grain hops yeast and wine supplies, a cache of equipment, the guys that work there are knowledgeable but never condescending, and they love to bs. Need an idea for a recipe? They'll steer you in the right direction. Have a recipe? Bring it in when your done! They're trying to get a brewing license to brew their own in house, and they have 4 taps. The kicker; they moved and now it's a 10 minute ride. :rockin: my poor wallet!

Jaybird,
I always know what I need when I go to the LHBS but then I start shopping around and completely lose my mind forgetting about the little stuff. What I need is someone to say, "Do you need any bungs for those airlocks?", "Do you need any clamps for all that tubing you just cut?", and "Don't forget your brain when you leave the store."

Jaybird,
I always know what I need when I go to the LHBS but then I start shopping around and completely lose my mind forgetting about the little stuff. What I need is someone to say, "Do you need any bungs for those airlocks?", "Do you need any clamps for all that tubing you just cut?", and "Don't forget your brain when you leave the store."

I have the same problem. I go in, ADD kicks in, and I end up leaving with stuff I don't need and none of the things I needed.

I will inventory what I need and make a list. I use the Out of Milk app on my phone. I can scan barcodes and it stores it as an item in the phone. I can also take pictures of it too. I'm visual, so I have to see it. When I get it, it gets checked off.

A piece of paper and a pencil also does the same thing. Just less techy.

What does it for me and why I pass up 2 other LHBS, traveling 35 miles, is for the ingredient selection. Specifically the grains. I haven't seen any store, online or local, that matches them. They typically have the yeast and hops I need, but can be hit or miss. For me, it's all about the grains. Best wishes in your business.

Cool thread. I'll chime in by saying that I also like that the folks at my LHBS know who I am, remember our conversations, etc. - in general they are just cool people. As noted many times already, this is huge for a local joint when there is so much competition online. It pays off for them - I've stopped by just to share a couple home-brews, but ended up spending cash before leaving.

I'll also +1 being able to measure out your own hops and grain. I like to just go in and do my thing.

Another thing they do that I REALLY dig is what they call a 'grain bank'. Basically they charge me for a 50lb bag of grain and keep track of my consumption. They just subtract pounds from my total as I come in and buy ingredients. This is very cool as it gives me access to bulk prices without having to store a bunch of grain (no space for it right now). I know a lot of places do this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned and it think it's huge.

They also offer a yearly 'membership' thing where you pay some nominal fee - I think $10 or $15 and get 10% off of everything you buy for the rest of the year. Definitely a money saver.

As far as suggestions for improvement, I'd have to get nit-picky. Of course I'd like a better hop selection, but who wouldn't? They do a pretty good job of that as well. Also they only carry White Labs which is usually fine, but it'd be nice to have access to some Wyeast occasionally.

That's my deal. Good luck with your store Jaybird.

I actually *don't* visit my LHBS very often, and perhaps my reasons will be helpful to other owners.

They're nice enough guys, it's a big, clean store, and the prices are reasonable. But all that means nothing to me if they don't have Magnum or Crystal 80 or WLP833 whatever it is I happen to need that day. Early on in my brewing adventure, I got burned a couple of times by planning an exciting brew day on the weekend, then taking the trip to the LHBS to pick up my supplies, only to find they didn't have many of the ingredients I needed. So I've learned instead to plan ahead and order online from a bigger shop, farther away, with much better selection.

I'd much rather shop locally, for many reasons. They're nice guys and I'd like to support them, and I'm even willing to pay slightly higher prices for the convenience and to save shipping costs. But if they don't have EVERYTHING that I need, then that means I'm going to have to order at least some of my ingredients online anyway, so why would I pay the shipping of an online order, AND take an hour out of my day to drive to the LHBS? I might as well just order the whole thing online and have it waiting for me on my front porch 2 days later.

So that's what I do. :(

So my advice: Carry a broad selection of ingredients, as broad as possible. I don't need the lowest prices, or someone to hold my hand, I just need you to have the grains/hops/yeast I need.

I have the same problem. I go in, ADD kicks in, and I end up leaving with stuff I don't need and none of the things I needed.

I will inventory what I need and make a list. I use the Out of Milk app on my phone. I can scan barcodes and it stores it as an item in the phone. I can also take pictures of it too. I'm visual, so I have to see it. When I get it, it gets checked off.

A piece of paper and a pencil also does the same thing. Just less techy.

Out of Milk app? Nice, I'll try it out, thanks.

I actually *don't* visit my LHBS very often, and perhaps my reasons will be helpful to other owners.

They're nice enough guys, it's a big, clean store, and the prices are reasonable. But all that means nothing to me if they don't have Magnum or Crystal 80 or WLP833 whatever it is I happen to need that day. Early on in my brewing adventure, I got burned a couple of times by planning an exciting brew day on the weekend, then taking the trip to the LHBS to pick up my supplies, only to find they didn't have many of the ingredients I needed. So I've learned instead to plan ahead and order online from a bigger shop, farther away, with much better selection.

I'd much rather shop locally, for many reasons. They're nice guys and I'd like to support them, and I'm even willing to pay slightly higher prices for the convenience and to save shipping costs. But if they don't have EVERYTHING that I need, then that means I'm going to have to order at least some of my ingredients online anyway, so why would I pay the shipping of an online order, AND take an hour out of my day to drive to the LHBS? I might as well just order the whole thing online and have it waiting for me on my front porch 2 days later.

So that's what I do. :(

So my advice: Carry a broad selection of ingredients, as broad as possible. I don't need the lowest prices, or someone to hold my hand, I just need you to have the grains/hops/yeast I need.

Can you call them ahead to see if they can order it? It may not be ideal calling weeks ahead of time, but it could keep you local and show your LHBS there is a demand for those items. In a pinch, it won't work. I understand. But if you know you need something maybe that will help.

I like the fact that #1) They have two of their beer kits on tap for samples...
#2) They have a group that meets every other Friday, (I have to work tho... :mad:) so you can discuss techniques etc... And #3) The owner is a BJCP judge, so who better to critique your home brews... :)
Oh and I can call in an order and they will have it ready for the SWMBO to pick up...

My LHBS is Northern Brewer. Occasionally I go to Midwest Supplies. And I frequent Austin Homebrew when I feel like it. Alas, there is no L in my HBS, as I'm located in Northwest Alabama.

hahaha. I was going to say, "this guy must live on the corner of Main Street and the Internet."

For me, aside from location, it's important for the LHBS to have competitive prices. If I can get the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch $20 cheaper after shipping by shopping online, that's a steep climb. You will have to have one kickass personality for me to come in for anything more than the emergency hydrometer purchase.

My two LHBSs really are Northern Brewer and Midwest....

Customer loyalty programs are nice. My HBS does a 1 point earned per dollar spent and every X points get $Y off when you decide to cash them in. Makes me feel special.

The knowledge to tell me I am being a ******* and help me figure out where the particular hop/specialty grain I want is when I am all distracted by the selection of grains/shiny new toys on the shelves and coolers of hops/yeast.

I also appreciate that my HBS has several CO2 tanks for tradeins (I think they just do bulk swaps with Roberts Oxygen), though I would really appreciate finding a place that has reasonable refill prices. I mean the only place I can get my 15# filled costs ~$40 and my 5# is over $23 for a refill, where the tradein for a 5# is $19.99 and they will only do tradeins on 5/10/20#ers. Makes me sad about owning a 15#.

The fact that mine is also in the process of installing bulk bins makes me happy as well, and the ability to buy by the sack. Wouldn't mind if they had a bulletin board/book where customers can swap equipment/arrange bulk buys through the HBS, though that is probably more the responsibility of HB Clubs.

I have two: Brewmasters Warehouse and Muskedines.

Brewmasters:
I love the grain selection. They are right down the street from a Carlson warehouse, so their specialty grains are usually readily available. Only once have they not been able to fill my grain bill, and even then they were able to make a decent substitution. Their prices on hops are incredible, especially if you go for the ones they offer in 8 oz packs. However, they are quite often out of little things like crowns and hop bags. Also, they have an issue with being "out" (for 6 months) of certain things that you can still place an order for on the website. I love that they have a brew club that meets in the store after hours. I love that every person that works there is a home brewer and that the manager usually makes it to club brew days. I love that you can place an order on the website and pick it up at the store. I love the 10% discount code, but I wish that I could choose that and then pay cash.

Muskedines:
Pretty much a one person operation, and he's trying his hardest. He is mainly a wine maker, but the shop caters well to beer guys. He makes at least two trips to the Carlson warehouse a week, so if you let him know a couple of days in advance, he can get any grain. His crush is better than Brewmasters. I can usually get 5% higher efficiency from him. His equipment is cheaper, but ingredients are a bit more expensive, even with my "best customer" discount. And every once in a while I get some bonus, like 8 lbs of Maris Otter that was crushed 6 weeks ago but never picked up or a bag of DME with a small hole in it. I do wish that he was open on Mondays, but it is pretty much one guy there all the time.

I usually get equipment, simple grain bills, and dry yeast from Muskedines. More involved recipes, hops, and liquid yeasts I get from Brewmasters.

About the only two things?

The fact that I can order everything online and then walk into the store and pick it up completely ready. Also, their prices are good. It's cheaper than ordering online.
However, the store is crowded, cramped, largely disorganized, and kind of dingy. The owners would rather just have you order online and pick up than have you mill about and not know what you want. They also have no interest in helping anyone out with recipes and they most certainly don't want to talk to you. My first experience there was less than stellar even though I went in knowing exactly what I wanted. I keep going back due to convenience of location and the prices.

We do have another one kind of close in Sanford, FL and that's a wonderful little shop. The owners are great guys, the store is clean, airy, and well organized. They're always willing to have a conversation and willing to help out. But, it's in Sanford and Sanford is a little out of the way unless we want to eat lunch at Willow Tree (authentic German cafe) or visit my in-laws. I love the fact that they're open on Sundays as well. I just wish they had an online inventory so I'd know prices and well... inventory before making the trip out there.

WOW the feed back here is KILLER!! You guys are giving me some great advise, ideas and solutions! You have know idea how helpful this thread is to me and I am sure (hopefully for your sake) other LHBS owners.

Keep em coming you guys! I see a few changes being implemented at Nor Cal Brewing Solutions.....

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
I really like it when I frequent a business and the staff make it a point to remember my name. My staff is great at this! I love hearing them talk to customers like they are friends, well because they are!
I have always been reluctant to put beers on tap as its no legal to do, but we are starting to realize we need to do this as well. We are going to take it a step further and just put in a 3BBL brewery and tap house. :mug:

Thanks for all the comments guys. All of us LHBS owners can all learn from this.

Cheers
Jay

Did ya check your local laws? (Seems silly to ask) but ive been to lhbs in 5 states and all had samples on tap.. No larger than 3oz and no more than 4 samples i believe..

Personal help and remembering me is huge.. Neither my lhbs have a reward program but i would love to have that.. Specially since i have spent over $800 there in last 6 months or so.. And would spend more if they carried some of the personal stainless parts you can only get from the big retailers on line (i.e. cam locks, npt oxygen stone, etc..)

Did ya check your local laws? (Seems silly to ask) but ive been to lhbs in 5 states and all had samples on tap.. No larger than 3oz and no more than 4 samples i believe..

Personal help and remembering me is huge.. Neither my lhbs have a reward program but i would love to have that.. Specially since i have spent over $800 there in last 6 months or so.. And would spend more if they carried some of the personal stainless parts you can only get from the big retailers on line (i.e. cam locks, npt oxygen stone, etc..)

I did. They told me that there is no law allowing the pouring of home made beer in any public business without a license. That license they told me is a type 23 and we all know what that is... We do allow our customers to bring in beer and we do offer ours up from time to time as well and I am sure there is nothing really wrong with that and if there is I am sure its totally overlooked. We are just going to add a type 23 to the list of license we have and just drop a 3 BBL in place. Its been a dream of ours anyway so we are just gonna make it happen. Then you can come in and have a flight, a sample a pint or a gallon or 5 if you so desire.

Cheers
Jay

Back