What do you do with your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched my neighbor's (that I don't like) dog eat about two or three pounds of spent grain the other day from my backyard. I'm waiting for the carpet cleaner truck to show up. Maybe he'll learn what it's like to pick up dog $hit.

I've filled two holes with spent grain. They just kept taking batch after batch but eventually they quit accepting grain... Now they go into the sizable compost pile behind the shed.

The grains tend to knock out a foul fishy stench after a few days in the sun. Nasty.

I've known about the dogs being allergic to hops and I've also heard that they are bad for cows.

For those thinking, "dog," dogs are not evolved to eat grains. They are carnivores, and the best dog foods are grain-free by design.

This is what my dog eats, mixed with some raw turkey burgers from Wal-Mart (cooked meat is much harder for dogs to digest).

It isn't a coincidence that American dogs are dying of cancer - they eat like their masters! Like a child, just because your doggie happily eats something doesn't make it good for him.

End rant.

I made some of the spent grain biscuits for my dogs, they LOVED them and ate the batch. For their daily food they eat raw meat mixed with some oils and veggies that SWMBO makes. Their diet is more balanced than mine is, I think.

It isn't a coincidence that American dogs are dying of cancer - they eat like their masters!

I'm not so sure many veterinary oncologists would agree with this statement but if you'd like to cling to your conspiracy theory by all means do so.

I'm not so sure many veterinary oncologists would agree with this statement but if you'd like to cling to your conspiracy theory by all means do so.

Well my veterinary oncologist agrees. And it isn't a conspiracy theory unless I am alleging someone is in cahoots to make dogs sick. It is pretty well-established that cooked meat has carcinogens in it, and that dogs are not evolved to eat grain products.

Anyway, feed your dog all the crap you like. But canine evolution is pretty easy to figure out. Wolves didn't sit around campfires with man eating beer grain. :drunk:

Every few batches, I'll take the grains and spread them out on cookie sheets. Pop them in the oven and bake them at low heat until they are dehydrated. then I scoop the stuff into plastic bags and shove em in the freezer. When we make bread, rolls, pancakes, brownies, cookies, scones... a handful of the spent grains go in there.

Well I've found that 1) medical professionals are often well-behind the curve on nutrition. My friends cardiologist didn't eve know about Omega-3's blood pressure benefits. Most have never heard of Resveratrol. They tend not to read beyond med school except for mandatory CLEs. 2) Wikipedia is now a source of truth? A Website anyone can edit? :cross: I think this Website has better sources:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Bottom line is just because dogs can live off of something doesn't mean it is good for them. I could live off of McDonald's hamburgers my whole life. It would just likely be shorter.

Again, feed your dog crap, by all means. Mine will eat what they are evolved to eat, which is meat, not grain. Contrary to Wikipedia, dogs only eat plants for micronutrients, like chlorophyll. When I see a wolf attacking a wheat field, I will change my mind. :drunk:

And mine disagrees and on the omnivore/carnivore issue wikipedia disagrees as well.
Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, feed your dog crap, by all means. Mine will eat what they are evolved to eat, which is meat, not grain. Contrary to Wikipedia, dogs only eat plants for micronutrients, like chlorophyll. When I see a wolf attacking a wheat field, I will change my mind. :drunk:

I don't care for the repeated implication that because I disagree with you that I feed my dog "crap". I was purposely not being an ass and I would appreciate it if you would do the same.

I compost all of my spent grains as well. I've heard good things about the dog treats you can make with the grains, but I don't have the time right now to get into that as well. I'd rather take those 3-4 hours for baking the batch and use that time to brew up another batch of beer.

I'd rather take those 3-4 hours for baking the batch and use that time to brew up another batch of beer.

You don't have to watch over the treats for that whole time. Set the timer on the first run through for 30mins, then lower the heat on the oven and set the timer for 3 hours. Walk away, start your mash, boil, etc. Multitasking :)

I made some grain burgers (with flour, egg, water, etc.). I didn't get sick, and it probably cleaned my insides up good. I got the idea from some vegan websites, I think, when I searched the same thing.

Spent grains make great fertilizer for your garden! All of the sugars have been removed so mainly you have protein left (with fiber of course). Protein is an excellent source of nitrogen and thus a great organic fertilizer!

Grains, trub and such go in to the compost bin with vegetable scraps, and the compost the rabbit is mass producing. We also add in some grass clippings and leaves, along with coffee grounds. In the winter, we also add the ashes from the woodstove. It creates a pretty good balance for various planting and gardens. We'll see how it does for hops this year. :D

For my last batch I threw the spent grains on the wifey's garden. I don't have a compost and don't have plans to start one but I figured this would at least add some more high energy organic material to the garden. Maybe if I add enough of it I can call it a beer garden or malt garden. ;)

I have been using mine to feed the ducks and geese in my neighborhood....they seemed to enjoy the heck out of it (especially when their eggs hatched and the young ones needed to eat)! My batches have been partial mash so it was 3 1/2 pounds....all gone in a couple days

I dumped my first AG batch grains downstairs by my neighbor's bushes thinking that our raccoons would come and get a taste. Nah...only the biggest rats I've ever seen! My neighbor saw them too and was pretty pissed at me when I told her I put the grains there.

it crazy to me people put the spent grain in the trash!

before i had goats and chickens,
i would just emply my mash in to a 5 gal bucket and sling it out across the grass and pore it on dead spots and in low spots. but then all my food scraps get toss out too
if you spead it out there is no odor.
but then i have the liberty of living out in the county and have to provide my own trash service so no food in the trash ,makes it stink.

Brewinator my dogs eat mice and rabbits all the time and they eat there guts too
and guess what the rodents guts arnt full of meat thay are full of veggys and grains
and dogs did evolve eat that with every kill so i think you are confused carnivors still eat the gut load of there herbivor prey.

Yard waste bin for me, my dog loves the grains and he would probably try to eat all 24 lbs if I dumped it out there.

Squirrel bait:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M]YouTube - Ultimate Squirrel Launching Compilation[/ame]

I give them to a coworker and she feeds them to her chickens. She can't use all of them, so I bake some into bread...the rest either go in my large ( 1/2 barrel) planters or into neighbors compost pile.

Bryon

I use it for compost and bake bread with it. I also use the yeast cake, washing part of it, and the parts that are left from that I make bread or brewers pretzels.

I used to put them on the rock path in the front yard and the grain would be gone by morning. Last time was a 40# grain bill and it took two days.

MoreSpentGrains.jpg

Now, I save the spent grains in 1 gallon zip lock bags and put them in the fridge so they won't spoil.

What you see here on the ground in the chicken coop is 1 gallon of spent grain from yesterday's brew session. It will be gone by the morning.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFirGaqLHPE]YouTube - Chickens Love Spent Grain[/ame]

No more feeding the deer.

Back