Quantcast

What do you do with your spent grains?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Echo2112

Reaction score
Chuck em in the trash? Compost pile? Just wondering what everyone else does with the grains the use.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I have been throwing them out on the two all grain batches that I have done so far. I'm new to brewing so I don't have any answers but I feel that composting them would have to be advantageous. I just have not done so because I don't know if it makes good composte. I would assume it would..... right?

OP
Echo2112

Echo2112

Reaction score
I would think so, I don't have a compost box or bin, so I have actually spread mine on my rose beds. But after several batches, I think I should lay off of that. I have raked the grains in with my mulch there, but there is an odor issue sometimes.

I am just trying to figure out what else to do with the stuff, I have been ramping up my production schedule, and I don't want to throw the grain away if there is a good use for it.

tndave

Reaction score
I dump them into my garden spot and will turn them under if the ground will ever get dry. Then I will sart a compost pile.

Heyyyo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard of people making dog treats out of them. Also have seen pictures of people putting them out for wildlife, deer and such.

I made a few PM batches when I had my squirrel and he seemed to enjoy the hell out of them...

I'd put a picture of'em but I'm not so sure I know how to do that.. And I might be a little :drunk:

irasnyd

Reaction score
I've been making bread with them. I'm still doing extract batches, so I don't have much grain. Also, so far lighter grains (from Pale Ale) have done better than grain from making Stout. I really like it, but I like multigrain bread.

My basic recipe is:
what was 1/2 lb grain before it got used
about 6oz water + 1tbsp sugar + bread yeast (starter)
about 1/2 tsp salt
about 2 tbsp honey
enough wheat flour to make it into dough (approx 3 1/2 cups)

Activate the yeast. Grind the spent grains in a food processor (not necessary, just improves texture). Mix everything except the flour together. Slowly add flour until you've got bread dough. Knead for a while, adding flour as needed. Put it in a loaf pan with some oil (coat all sides) and let rise for about an hour. Bake for 35 minutes at 375F. Eat.

OP
Echo2112

Echo2112

Reaction score
I may have to try making some of that bread!

gplutt

Reaction score
Seattle just started putting out food waste pick up bins. I made some dog treats out of the last batch and the rest now goes into the bin.

Reaction score
just have not done so because I don't know if it makes good composte. I would assume it would..... right?
It makes GREAT compost...breaks down very quickly, into rich black soil. We throw all of our kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc. in there too, as well as some leaves and finely shredded paper. Even the corn starch packing peanuts that NorthernBrewer uses go into the pile!

Other spent grains uses commonly cited on this site include:

Baking into bread. (I replace a cup of wheat flour with a cup of spent grain.)

Baking into dog biscuits, there are a few recipes on the site.

EdWort feeds it to his neighborhood deer, and has photographic evidence of it!

ewbish

Reaction score
chickens, compost, dogs. Throw 1/2 cup into any breadmachine standard 2lb white bread recipe.

nealf

Reaction score
I may have to try making some of that bread!
Just be sure not to use any rice hulls in the batch you plan to make bread with. They add a texture which is not desired...

Bumbler

Reaction score
the last 2 batches I let sit in buckets under the canoe in the back yard till the wife took care of them.

this was the wife. :mad:

giligson

Reaction score
Excellent compost. If you don't compost, there may be a gardener you know who may like it. Very rich in nitrogen and cellulose (great for loosening soil)

Boodlemania

Reaction score
I feed 'em to the cows. They eat the crap out of them, once they cool down of course.

roylee

Reaction score
Like boodlemania, I feed them to cattle. My tax guy says they then qualify as livestock feed and can be deducted, but I haven't gone that far. (And if I had I wouldn't admit it here).

ChemE

Reaction score
Like boodlemania, I feed them to cattle. My tax guy says they then qualify as livestock feed and can be deducted, but I haven't gone that far. (And if I had I wouldn't admit it here).
Then the obvious solution is to feed the hop leaves to the livestock too and write the cost of whole brew day off!

bluehouse

Reaction score
I make these cookies, and they are delicious, everybody loves them
Wow so do you make the vegan burgers too or just the cookies? I am a bad person, I eat meat, drink whole fat dairy & use white bleached flower. I am planning on buying some chickens to eat my spent grain & so I can have free range eggs. but wait, that's eating baby chickens right? so still my bad. :eek:

alee

Reaction score
I was feeding them to our sheep, but the Great Pyrenese dogs kept eating them. Now I am planning on trying the dog treats or composting.

Surye

Reaction score
What about trub? How's that in a compost pile? I had a second generation cake I threw in there, but not sure if it was the best idea :p

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky.
I walk out 30 ft from my brewing area and dump them. Sometimes the deer eat it and sometimes they don't Either way it's out of sight and out of mind.

zombie

Reaction score
This thread is timely. I brewed on Sunday and was thinking as I dumped the spent grain in the trash, "what a waste".

Got Trub?

Reaction score
Our chickens can tell when it is brewing day and they pace back and forth until they get their share of the spent grains.

GT

Reaction score
I'd dump mine out past the back yard for the deer, but I'd probably break an ankle carrying them up the steep rocky hill.

Used to give them to a neighbor for compost but he moved away. Wish we had a food waste pickup.

Hmm.. I've been meaning to build a catapult. I could then launch them over the house and up the hill! (perhaps at an ocassional annoying neighbor)

HotbreakHotel

Reaction score
I could then launch them over the house and up the hill! (perhaps at an ocassional annoying neighbor)
Let them age a few days first. They can get really bad smelling!!

I compost them. I agree they make beautiful compost.

alee

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
I was feeding them to our sheep, but the Great Pyrenese dogs kept eating them.

Your dogs kept eating your sheep
Ha Ha! That did sound a little funny. The dogs ate all the grain. I had the misfortune of kneeling in a pile of grain poo last weekend. Talk about smelling sour, especially when it finds the one hole in the knee of your jeans and makes skin contact! I suppose I could have recycled them again!

carl spakler

Banned
Reaction score
I bake bread with the grains, I'll even stockpile several packs of grains for future baking. The different styles of beer result in very different styles of breads. The grains from a porter vs. the grains from a pale ale make for two very different loaves.

3 cups grains
~5 cups flour (depends on the day)
1.5 cups warm water with yeast and ~1/2 cup brown sugar
couple pinches of salt
~1 tbsp oil

Bake and enjoy!

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
sometimes I let my daughter make dog-cookies out of them, most of the time I dump them out in the bare spots of the lawn and rake them in, it helps the grass fill in the bare spots