What do you do with the spent grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made granola with it and will try making the bread. Most of it (and hops from the boil) goes on the lawn.

Grain is lousy for a dogs digestive system...regardless of how much they like it.

Dogs are opportunistic eaters and have simple stomachs that will digest just about anything. Regardless of what the raw foodies will have you believe, small quantities of grain isn't gonna hurt them and certainly isn't "lousy" for their digestive system.

I have been composting mine and they do take a long time. Also the flies LOVE to make woopie and lay eggs. I started turning mine as soon as i added them. Mix them up with the leaves and stuff and it makes a big difference. Keeps the flies down also.

Since leaves are seasonal, I may start a new compost just for my grains and add shredded paper / cardboard to see how quickly it can be made. There is some neat time saving desings, like a cheap garbade can with holes in it... you just rolling around on the ground every day to mix it, apparantly you can get finished compost in a month or two. The grains are slowing down my nearly completed pile so I need another one :fro:

another composter here... I used to have a loose compost pile out back.... 2 foot tall and about 4 feet wide, almost all spent grain... last winter a day after a good 8 inch snow, I noticed every rabbit in the state seemed to be feeding on it... So, in the interest of sparing summer gardens a larger population, I built a 4 ft cubed box for compost.... the rabbit population seems to have moved elsewhere.

another composter here... I used to have a loose compost pile out back.... 2 foot tall and about 4 feet wide, almost all spent grain... last winter a day after a good 8 inch snow, I noticed every rabbit in the state seemed to be feeding on it... So, in the interest of sparing summer gardens a larger population, I built a 4 ft cubed box for compost.... the rabbit population seems to have moved elsewhere.

Not sure about Minnesota laws, but in PA it's legal to shoot/eat any "pest" rabbit on your property. I'm not saying you should bait them, but if they ever come back to your garden...

Not sure about Minnesota laws, but in PA it's legal to shoot/eat any "pest" rabbit on your property. I'm not saying you should bait them, but if they ever come back to your garden...

oh trust me, if I lived outside the city, I'd have a new fur coat and a freezer full of meat. But as it stands, I barely have the right to paint the interior of my home the color of my choice let alone any action that might "offend" the neighbors... just call me the "Zul'jin" of Minnesota

I don't know if it is allowed in my village (highly doubt it), but I have a pump action pellet gun that is quite effective from my rear glass sliding door, LOL! I would never eat that meat, though, given they are snacking on all the highly fertilized gardens and lawns in the suburbs.

2vijssh.jpg

Hot meal for the chickens.

For those of you with a compost bin (outdoor or indoor), do you actively buy or maintain a worm population? They are a big help to any compost bin. Not sure how they would do with grains, but like stated above it would probably have to be offset with a lot of newspaper. I was thinking of trying this....

Lovely cluckers!!

Please dont kill animals in your yard.

I like to bake bread with some portion of it and once my composter is full, I end up putting it in my yard waste bins. I wish my village allowed chickens, as that wouyld at least give me yet another method of reusing it as best as possible.

i throw mine in the small wooded area behind my house. it's usually gone in a week or two, deer/birds must be eating it.

I used to put them in the garden, but now I freeze everything and will feed it to the chickens I plan on getting this spring. I also use some for bread.

Maybe some day I will just throw them all in a big pot and see what I can brew :drunk:

Back