what do you do with extra wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
In the past I have discarded it but recently I started boiling the extra in a separate pot with the equivalent 60 minute hop addition ratio (in this last case 2 grams for 1/2 gallon) and adding it to the main kettle. I always end up with less than I want due to evaporation and hop sludge so this allows me to collect enough to fill my kegs despite my smallish brew kettle which holds 6.75 gallons or so absolute max.

So if you end up with more wort after you sparge what do *you* do with it? I'm juts curious...!

Steve da sleeve

Maybe I misunderstood. If this is before boil I grab another pot. Before I got my turkey fryer I would have 3-4 pots/burners going.

Sometimes I'll end up with some wort in the MLT that I don't need in the boil kettle; having already achieved correct boil volume. I have put this in the freezer (it was about 1.030) unboiled and used it for making a yeast starter.

there's all sorts of uses for your leftover runnings that are too weak for starters or brewing. Sometimes I add extra water after the sparge just to get some. Soup stock is probably my favorite use, but you can put the runnings to work just about anywhere you would normally use plain water but want a tiny bit of sweetness and malt character - baking, boiling food, marinade base, etc.

I sparge with extra water to collect extra wort. I freeze it for future yeast starters and attempts to collect wild yeasts.

There's no reason to let perfectly good sugars go to waste only to pay money for DME.

Latest posts

Back