What do you do to make money on the side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinboyd

Reaction score
So we all know how costs can add up Homebrewing, not necessarily on the ingredients but more with the "must haves" like newer better equipment, control panels, keezer, etc. So what do you do to make money on the side of your full time job? I'm not talking so much about working for another employer like waiting tables, but just side work...maybe you mow lawns, or maybe you make/sell on eBay or etsy, maybe you build decks or do remodels, and so on.

Personally I don't do anything now, maybe something will spark an idea. I think right now I'm just more curious about what everyone else is in to.

im_a_gigolo_t_shirt-re7e635b34634418ea744883cf5e7b754_va6lr_324.jpg

Just kidding, I'm way too fat for that. And I'd rather just drink beer.

Floor plans, 3D models, and new design ideas for people remodeling their homes or building additions. Normally it is just a favor for friends and family so I don't get anything more than a six pack or dinner out of it. It is a rare occasion that anyone actually pays me.

For real though, I often do automotive repairs for friends and family and like @TheCADJockey I do it for beer or a meal. I cant stand when people pay out their noses for a simple brake job or alternator swap.

I fix computers and electronics. The "pro's" charge $90 to $120 an hour. Me? $25... Just some pocket change. And I would still say I'm a pro. I do have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, soooo... haha. But I have been busier and busier brewing such that I don't even care to fix stuff anymore. I'd rather build new equipment for myself...

I mow the lawns of the neighbors on either side of me. Their yards aren't too big, and it doesn't add too much time when I've already got the mower out for my own lawn.

I also do some bookkeeping from home on nights and weekends for some local businesses.

I clicked on this just because I saw @hunter_la5 was the most recent poster. Was not nearly as facetious of a post as I had hoped...

Just started working part time at my LHBS. I'm pretty sure every dollar I earn there will go right back to the store. I consider it a win-win

No kids so I'm flush with disposable income :)

The trick is to have kids and then sell them. Most valuable livestock I've come across. Best of both worlds.

In all seriousness, i too have no kids, and don't have a second job or any side work. Assuming my wife is working (which she normally is inbetween whatever company at the time cutting staff) we do well enough as is.

The wife has an eye for old crap......errr I mean antiques. we buy for dirt cheap at garage/yard/estate sales and then sell on facebook/ebay/etsy. Its not really a business but it gives us something to do when I am not brewing or chasing kids around the yard, and she make some spare change to pay for booze:mug:

This year I traded surplus honey and peppers for eGift's at my LHBS. It wasn't much but something about one hobby paying for another was really appealing. I might try and step it up next year....free beer ingredients all year would be nice!

I sell compact personal fire extinguishers to people who don't pay Billy.

Last edited:
I had been doing home inspections as a side job, but it got to be so time-consuming that it didn't leave much time to brew. Screw that noise. Before that, I mowed lawns for a few family members.

The trick is to have kids and then sell them. Most valuable livestock I've come across. Best of both worlds.

Really? Your local market must be better than mine. My last one graded out at prime and we still barely broke even.

I get gigs doing monitors for a couple groups. Sometimes I get to use if for homebrew [emoji16].

I also fix iPhones.

25 years in EMS so healthcare is pretty much all I know. I have a cpl side EMS jobs and one part timer place at a psych facility. Aside from that I try to grab a few hours of OT here and there. It's hard to sacrifice quality off time for little to no gain of 10-15 bucks an hour. Most of these lil private ambulance services don't pay enough to put fuel in your take to drive to the other county to work them.

KT

I buy, sell, and broker beer, cigars, firearms, Taco Bell, BBQd meats, and video games.

I never get to sell or broker.....consumption and depletion gets in the way.

Firefighter. Training pays some extra overtime. Calls when I'm off site pay extra. Haven't had a call ruin a brew day yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Firefighter. Training pays some extra overtime. Calls when I'm off site pay extra. Haven't had a call ruin a brew day yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

I turned in my turnouts about 10 years ago. Never looked back either. I used to run paid/volunteer calls for the FD when I was off from my primary EMS job. I ran across a picture from the early 90's a few days ago when I was a lil greenhorn. I looked like a plump Barny Fife. On my belt I had a department radio, flashlight, scissor pouch, personal pager, work pager and glove pouch. To me back then this was my "Duty" gear. Today, some 25 years later, I carry a pocket knife and radio - which I would love to toss in a lake some days. lol

I don't miss getting up at 0300 on a rainy off morning to go see granny about a stuck fart. It was fun in the day, but I love my bed too much now.

KT

Licensed gun dealer drop shipping suppressors. Less money than I thought I'd bring in ;)

Work up construction budgets and am a certified shotgun instructor which a heck of a lot more fun than running budget numbers.

Back