What do you do for a living?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nealmc said:
4 current occupations:
#1: Lead engineer at a Product Development firm
#2: Founder of my own Product Development / Enginering consulting firm
#3: Going to Law School at night
#4: Keeping SWMBO happy

Sounds like a patent attorney in the making. :mug:

Melana said:
I sell Laboratory Automation Equipment to Pharmaceutical and Biotech companies.

That sounds kind of cool (and lucrative)! Brewing automation equipment would be nice, do you have a line on any?

ColoradoXJ13 said:
actually the job market here sucks...and I have to leave this place...my life is pretty stagnant and i need a drastic change soon, too many memories in this place.

You just need to decide, East or West. The big 3 for biotech are SanDiego, Boston/Cambridge, and Raleigh/RTP.
SWMBO works in Biotech. We just moved back to Boston (both new englanders) after a few years in Raleigh. Raleigh is great, just not as great as Boston. If I were from Boulder, I think I'd go to Raleigh -- unless the job pays huge and lets you afford Boston or unless you're a fanatic about skiing (you'd still probably fly home to CO, but if not the skiing in new england blows doors over the skiing in Virginia/ W.VA/NC. Good luck, anyway!

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I am grad student in Molecular Biology (technically Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology) but my specialty is molecular biophysics. About to start writing my dissertation as soon as I get this paper I am working on submitted, defend my thesis in late august, and then start looking for a job in biotech.

How about Amgen there in Boulder? I did some work there in Dec. If I remember
correctly, they work with Ecoli virus and some hamster cells to make some kind
of human pharma. drug.

Enjoyed Boulder while I was there. Hit Boulder brewery and the pizza brew pub
down in the shopping area. Even hit Loveland to get some runs in.
Almost forgot, Mongolion(sp) Grill was one of my favorites.

LouT said:
You just need to decide, East or West. The big 3 for biotech are SanDiego, Boston/Cambridge, and Raleigh/RTP.
SWMBO works in Biotech. We just moved back to Boston (both new englanders) after a few years in Raleigh. Raleigh is great, just not as great as Boston. If I were from Boulder, I think I'd go to Raleigh -- unless the job pays huge and lets you afford Boston or unless you're a fanatic about skiing (you'd still probably fly home to CO, but if not the skiing in new england blows doors over the skiing in Virginia/ W.VA/NC. Good luck, anyway!

Not from CO, actually grew up in NYC, so Boston is an option. I am playing with the idea of NorCal right now, lots of work in the SF Bay area, I don't want to live in SoCal or Raleigh.

megavites said:
How about Amgen there in Boulder? I did some work there in Dec. If I remember
correctly, they work with Ecoli virus and some hamster cells to make some kind
of human pharma. drug.

Enjoyed Boulder while I was there. Hit Boulder brewery and the pizza brew pub
down in the shopping area. Even hit Loveland to get some runs in.
Almost forgot, Mongolion(sp) Grill was one of my favorites.

Gotta get out of Boulder, for a lot of reasons, it is a college town, I am too old to be here any more. You missed out on some of the best brews in town, but BJ's is ok, Mongolian is good. Next time you are out here, go boozing at the Mt. Sun Brewpub.

I'm the bar manager at the local pub, and I think I'm going to be working at the coffee shop next door as soon as it opens. I also just sent an application to the local brewery for an entry level job!

Retired Naval Aviator, working as an Information Assurance analyst keeping Military Networks secure, wishing the Airlines had been hiring when I retired.

Dude said:
Matter of speaking, this week I go in to reenlist for the last time--1 more 4 year stint and I retire. Man I hope the next 4 years go fast. I am timing this perfectly to retire on the exact same day I went to basic training. Exactly 20 years to the day. :rockin:
Gratz Dude! It goes by really fast, then you realize that somewhere along the line you got old, then get to Job hunt and realize how good you Had it.

pantherbrew said:
Service Mangager at car dealership

I'm a service advisor at a local independent car shop. We only service BMWs and compete directly with our local dealership. :)

Veterinary student at Texas A&M by day, research on Avian Influenza by night, taking care of SWMBO and now brewing on weekends. I also sleep occasionally:D

Worked the last 4 years as a Facilities Manager at Vulcan Inc. in Seattle which is Paul Allen's investment management company. I quit 4 weeks ago to pursue a carreer in the craft brewing industry. I am currently working part time as an assistant brewer at Stix Billiards & Brewhouse downtown. My brewing partner and I have completed the business plan and secured financing and hope to soon take Naked City Brewing Company to the next level.

Brewtopia said:
Worked the last 4 years as a Facilities Manager at Vulcan Inc. in Seattle which is Paul Allen's investment management company. I quit 4 weeks ago to pursue a carreer in the craft brewing industry. I am currently working part time as an assistant brewer at Stix Billiards & Brewhouse downtown. My brewing partner and I have completed the business plan and secured financing and hope to soon take Naked City Brewing Company to the next level.

Wow, congrats! I hadn't heard this piece of news. Boy, I've got no doubt at all that if anyone can make this happen, it'll be you! Good luck!

Brewtopia said:
congratulations is in order!!!!
how, where and how much funding did you secure?
just curious
JJ

Brewtopia said:
wow thats awesome! congratulations indeed! I look forward to being able to frequent your place of business. You should let me know next time your going to beverage place and I will drop in to buy you a round or two in celebration.:tank:

I'm a Free Software Systems Administrator for a marketing firm that develops websites for small businesses all across the country.

In my spare time I'm an advocate for matters relating to Free Software, such as the overtaxed patent system in the US, Digital Rights Mutilation technology prevalent in the media industry and restrictive software licenses.

I own two internet based retail shops which I spend most of my time devoted their daily operations. I would have to admit and think non business related internet browsing should be restricted to employees as it is very unproductive and costs companies millions of dollars. I should fire myself as I should have been working the last 6 hours, instead what I am doing? Reading news, checking out youtube and talking on HBT :). Talking about work is making me thirsty, think I'm gonna go grab me a beer :mug:

I'm the controller for a transportation company, and my wife & I have an accounting practice. Yes, 2 jobs.

One will be going away in the near to intermediate future - our company was bought out.

Holy ****, only 1 job. I'll have time to brew more. :ban:

Brewer3401 said:
I'm the controller for a transportation company...

So YOU'RE the one changing the lights to yellow just before I get to the intersection!! :mad:

J/K I know, Controller = Financial Big Cheese :p

One semester left 'till I'm a full-fledged engineer, currently doing image analysis and biomechanical modeling in a research lab.

Charbucks said:
One semester left 'till I'm a full-fledged engineer, currently doing image analysis and biomechanical modeling in a research lab.

What kind of engineer? Where do you go to school?

I work for a non-profit institute. I do public health policy research and program evaluation, mostly focused on tobacco use prevention. I've done a little bit of work investigating beer marketing practices as well.

Beerrific said:
What kind of engineer? Where do you go to school?

I'll call it biomedical... technically "biological engineering", but I'm in the biomedical stream (the other one is bioprocessing, much more relevant to beermaking but overall kind of boring to me). The school is the University of Guelph, better known for its agricultural types, but overall not a bad school for engineering.

Charbucks said:
I'll call it biomedical... technically "biological engineering", but I'm in the biomedical stream (the other one is bioprocessing, much more relevant to beermaking but overall kind of boring to me). The school is the University of Guelph, better known for its agricultural types, but overall not a bad school for engineering.

Graduated last year with a BS in Biomedical Engineering, I am in grad school now.

Back