What do you buy at the grocery store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
I found that I can get a decent amount of ingrediants from the grocery store. I was wondering if anyone can point me to anything else that can be picked up at a grocer.

Couple of things I can find...

Quick Oats - I can get 3 lbs of the generic brand for $3.00
Pearled barley - In the bulk grains for $1.29/lb
Unmated red wheat - Bulk aisle again $1.39/lb
Cocoa nibs - found 8 oz packages at Whole Foods for alot cheaper than LHBS
Cracked corn - Found 4 lb packages on sale for $2
Bulk rice - I always have rice on hand, usually bought in bulk $1.50 for 3lbs

Ive read that some Whole Foods have bulk barley, both malted and unmalted, but thats not the case with mine.

Coriander seeds,demerara sugar,Trulemon crystallized lemon juice,fresh & frozen berries & fruits. Of course oats & brown sugars as well. Frozen juice concentrates as well as local ciders.

ginger root. citris. a trip threw the fruit/veggie isle the spice isle and the cereal isle unless you brew to brew a style try somthing different on your next one. i read on here where someone loved grape nuts in all there beers i havent tried it yet but im planning on it.

Don't forget flaked barley, vanilla beans, sugar, calcium chloride (in pickling section). Also, in Asian markets tons of ingredients like yeast balls for rice wine, gypsum, malt syrup, interesting sugars including palm sugar and demarara. Ingredients are generally much cheaper in grocery stores than in LHBS.

I get a discount at my LHBS so I just go there..LOL jkjkjk

BUT before I had it all at my fingertips I use to get
Vanilla beans and coriander in the spice isle of Safeway
Brown sugar
honey
Some will have DME but its normally spendy
corn sugar at the whole foods
Panella at the Asian markets
extracts like orange, lemon etc at the whole foods
dried fruit like orange both sweet and Bitter, lemon peel also at the whole foods

Cheers
Jay

For yeast starters, some people use Malta Goya in place of DME which you can find in any Hispanic food market or in the Hispanic aisle of your local grocery store.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

4lb bags of organic cane sugar from BJ's. Pretty good price. I use 1/2 to 1lb to dry out some of my APAs, IPAs, and a few other beers.

Plus some of the other stuff mentioned above. Oats, coriander, etc.

In addition to above, Gelatin and iodine tincture.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back