What do people bottle mead in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am a homebrewer....can I just simple use beer bottles and bottle mead in them? (capping them or using traditional bottles with ceramic head)?

I would agree about the beer bottles. We use Newcastle bottles, soak them and scrub the labels off, sanitize them and cap them. And they are clear so you get to see the nice color. If you use a clear bottle though, make sure you keep them out of the sunlight. I don't know the science behind that, maybe a beer brewer can tell you but we've bottled three brews already and the first one turned out sparkling, so they hold up pretty good.

If I plan on bottling still, I just use regular green 750 bordeaux bottles. I'm i'm bottling carbing like I do with most of my cysers, just use short, brown beer bottles similar to woodchuck cider bottles.

wine bottles, beer bottles, I use 1L fliptops, but for gifts & long term, I like to use wine bottles & #9 corks. I have yet to wax them though.
Regards, GF.

Id recommend getting the oxygen barrier caps. I don't know if the regular caps let enough oxygen in to be an issue, but if you've spent the time to brew and age mead why risk it?

Just make sure it's done fermenting and stable before bottling...

If your bottling in beer bottles you can use stove top pasteurization to prevent bottle bombs / stop fermentation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

If you have a lot of bottles and a good dishwasher you can use it to pasteurize them too.

Back