What do I upgrade next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I came into some $$$$$ (always awesome)
and I decided that about $500 of it is going into upgrading of my
brewing equipment. I currently have a decent kettle (8.5 gallon SS with valve and thermometer.)

I am using the cooler method atm and I'm wondering what would be the better idea:

A. Buy another kettle to use as my mash tun to regulate temps easier.
B. Invest in a kegging system since I still bottle.
C. Anything else you can think of to raise my efficiency or make things easier.

Not sure what the next logical step would be. I know a small portion is going into grabbing a plate chiller so I don't have to use the copper one anymore, but besides that I'm open to suggestions :D

Also note: not interested in stepping up to higher than 5 gallon batches atm.

Whatdya think?
Dave

Yeah my fermentation temps are all good. The place where I ferment is a year round 62ish to 68 or so (central air) So I don't think that's an issue.

The only issue with the kegging system is trying to find a place where the wife will let me keep it haha.

Keg system, definitely. It wasn't the upgrade that made the most difference in my beer, but it was undoubtedly the upgrade that I appreciate most!

If you have the bucks in hand now, go for the kegging system. It is one of the more expensive things on the shopping list for those climbing the "what can I buy next" ladder, but it totally increases enjoyment of beer. less bottling, easier drinking, fun to build, it's good all around. I built a kegerator out of an apartment fridge, I do not want to add up all the costs because I bought the fridge new (size constraints) rather than picking up a free old one. Stick it in the basement or garage or wherever you can, it doesn't have to be front and center in the family room.

Back