What do I have to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
I am starting to get annoyed and frustrated. I have been trying to get a job as a bartender in a brewpub or tavern for some time now. In my area there are not many so my options are limited.

I have been told by some I need atleast 6months serving exp to work at their establishment. So, I went out and got a job as a server. Did it for a year until they laid a few of us off.

Now I am told they want experienced bartenders only. How do they expect me to get experience if they wont give me the chance. I have been looking in other areas in and around my state even the Portland area. Everyone says the same thing.... they want experience. I understand that they want someone who needs little training to start. But, how can anyone get experience if they wont give someone a chance?

If anyone has any tips or idea for me it would be greatly appreciated...or better yet a job as a bartender or server in a brewpub or tavern.

I am thinking that most dont take me serious because my last name is actually Beer. I have been turned down for jobs because of this before, so I assume.

Is your first name Moe?

That would probably gain me a job faster.

Jest kidding. Get a job in a restaurant where they serve, then work your way up/over to the bar.

Tried that, but the place I worked laid me off and I have had some trouble keeping a job because of the economy and most employers see that as bad, even though it is not my fault.

right now, businesses can cherry pick employees. there are so many people looking for work, there is no reason to not hire the perfect man for the job. sorry, but this just isn't the economy where businesses want to take on trainees when there are overqualified candidates looking for any work they can get.

right now, businesses can cherry pick employees. there are so many people looking for work, there is no reason to not hire the perfect man for the job. sorry, but this just isn't the economy where businesses want to take on trainees when there are overqualified candidates looking for any work they can get.

And I understand that, but I have applied for jobs as a dishwasher as well and when I worked my previous serving job. Because I worked at night I also doubled as a dishwasher. And I still dont get those jobs.

Look for a local catering company. Catering companies always need bartenders for special events. Since no one is on salary for them, then they pick up whoever is available that week.

Back